Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

psi in wheel not updating/low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ducys

Nov 10, 2023
us
so I've been dealing with one of my tires (right tire) psi not updating I was on a trip with my girlfriend my tire lost air which I just went to a random gas station to have some added but it was not going in. I cannot find a hole or something damaged to my tire but I added air and the psi has not gone down since still at 26 psi. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem because I test drove it a couple days ago and the drive feels good but I don't want the tire to just randomly pop on me or something happen to the tire that I am aware
Capture.PNG

so I've been dealing with one of my tires (right tire) psi not updating I was on a trip with my girlfriend my tire lost air which I just went to a random gas station to have some added but it was not going in. I cannot find a hole or something damaged to my tire but I added air and the psi has not gone down since still at 26 psi. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem because I test drove it a couple days ago and the drive feels good but I don't want the tire to just randomly pop on me or something happen to the tire that I am aware
The car needs to be moving for the psi to update, because that is what "wakes" the sensor. It shows clearly in your picture that the 26 psi is an old reading from 6 days ago, so it's a stale reading and not necessarily what the tire is at now. That also is dangerously deflated if that is the real pressure and why it's in red (you are at high risk of a blow out). How old are the sensors in your tire? Could be the battery died.

Also not sure what you mean about "not going in"? Hopefully you didn't damage the sensor in your attempt to pump it. For the tire compressor you used, does it not show the PSI? Also you can buy a simple tire pressure gauge at any auto parts store to verify the pressure for now.

• Love
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Upvote 0
The car needs to be moving for the psi to update, because that is what "wakes" the sensor. It shows clearly in your picture that the 26 psi is an old reading from 6 days ago, so it's a stale reading and not necessarily what the tire is at now. That also is dangerously deflated if that is the real pressure and why it's in red (you are at high risk of a blow out). How old are the sensors in your tire? Could be the battery died.

Also not sure what you mean about "not going in"? Hopefully you didn't damage the sensor in your attempt to pump it. For the tire compressor you used, does it not show the PSI? Also you can buy a simple tire pressure gauge at any auto parts store to verify the pressure for now.
the picture is old I havent been home, I don't think it's damaged but i could be totally wrong any way to check if its damaged

Upvote 0
so I've been dealing with one of my tires (right tire) psi not updating I was on a trip with my girlfriend my tire lost air which I just went to a random gas station to have some added but it was not going in. I cannot find a hole or something damaged to my tire but I added air and the psi has not gone down since still at 26 psi. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem because I test drove it a couple days ago and the drive feels good but I don't want the tire to just randomly pop on me or something happen to the tire that I am awareView attachment 989727
I’m confused:
  • Is there an issue with adding air at a “random gas station”?
  • What do you mean by air is not going in?
  • You can’t find a hole? Is the tire flat or just low on air?
  • Tubeless tires don’t just pop. Blowouts are from the tube days
  • Suggest you buy a tire pressure gauge. The reading you’re getting in the car may be wrong.
IMG_1155.png

Upvote 0
Here's my theory....

Pressure went down due to a leak
TPMS battery failed or sensor otherwise failed.
OP added air thinking it should be updating the screen in realtime(which it won't), but air was still being added.
Tire is probably at like 70 psi now, TPMS sensor is still bad.

OP needs to get a gauge as suggested and monitor the tire frequently until he gets to a tire shop to get the TPMS sensor changed. The swap (labor) should be $15 or so, and the sensor can be $30-$70 or somesuch(depends on model year)

Upvote 0
so I've been dealing with one of my tires (right tire) psi not updating I was on a trip with my girlfriend my tire lost air which I just went to a random gas station to have some added but it was not going in. I cannot find a hole or something damaged to my tire but I added air and the psi has not gone down since still at 26 psi. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem because I test drove it a couple days ago and the drive feels good but I don't want the tire to just randomly pop on me or something happen to the tire that I am awareView attachment 989727
Go to your local Costco. They usually provide stations to fill up your tires with air. It is programmable so you can set it to stop at 42. If your TPS still reads below or gives you an error after a mile, then it’s your sensor. If that’s the case, get it replaced.

Upvote 0