Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Model S Service experience concerning.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a relatively new owner of a used 2018 Model S 100D. 62k miles so out of warranty. Three weeks ago the car started throwing up a couple of error codes saying vehicle may not restart and to take to service. The Service rep upsold me on the annual checkup for 900 bucks. The issue turned out to be a battery replacement BMS u008, BMS w172 to the tune of about 600 bucks. The diagnostic process also urged me to get rear brakes replaced at NEXT annual service anniversary. When I drove off the lot, I immediately heard a recurring tick in right rear of the car and it was taking bumps very hard. Two definite issues that were NOT there before I took it in for service. Drove it right back to the center and left it there (it was after hours) as well as detailed these new issues via the app. They just called and said I needed to get new rear brakes (recurring tick) and replace the suspension bar (bumps issue). I told them neither of these issues existed ever before THEY serviced the car and the brakes presumably had another year on them. I told the guy I was unwilling to pay this and want these issues resolved. He said he agreed with me but needed to talk to the tech who worked on the car who wasn't in yet. I havent even looked at their estimate for the new work, I am so upset. Can anyone provide perspective or shed light on what seems to me to be a disasterous service experience? What should I do? TIA

A general piece of advice is to be willing to take your car to a reputable independent mechanic for all conventional systems like suspension, air conditioning, brakes, etc. Tesla took most of these parts from other major manufacturers, e.g. a lot of the A/C parts are Hyundai. You will both save money and be able to work with people who actually diagnose issues and look for cost-effective solutions instead of just throwing new parts at everything.

This approach does however take legwork on your part - researching common Tesla issues on this forum and buying parts over the counter from Tesla.

I use Tesla Service Centers as a last resort when the work is clearly Tesla-specific.

You also are close enough to Electrified Garage in Amesbury - if you are inclined to do annual services, I would recommend them over TSC. Not inexpensive, but very thorough and pleasant to work with.

Reactions: Evee and aerodyne
That is very unfortunate. Tesla Service stopped doing annual checkups and stopped recommending certain services such as transmission (drive unit) fluid changes over 7 years ago. Most Teslas simply don't need these done, is a waste of money for the customer, and clogs the Service Centers with unnecessary appointments. You may want to double-check to see if that battery work is covered under warranty/goodwill...mind you the drivetrain and battery warranty is good for 8 years from the point of manufacture.

As for the brakes, most of us have seen well over 150K miles without a need to ever service the brakes thanks to a majority of highway miles and the regenerative braking system not using the traditional friction brakes. It is possible that the previous owner drove rather hard though. I would recommend asking other Tesla Model S owners in your region what is the recommended service you need. For instance, I know areas with rain and snow really should have the brake caliper guide pins cleaned and lubricated at least every other year. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the Tesla Tech left your car in a compromised state after inspecting the brakes and suspension but I'm not sure how you go about proving that. Good luck and I hope others can help you.

Reactions: aerodyne
That is very unfortunate. Tesla Service stopped doing annual checkups and stopped recommending certain services such as transmission (drive unit) fluid changes over 7 years ago. Most Teslas simply don't need these done, is a waste of money for the customer, and clogs the Service Centers with unnecessary appointments. You may want to double-check to see if that battery work is covered under warranty/goodwill...mind you the drivetrain and battery warranty is good for 8 years from the point of manufacture.

As for the brakes, most of us have seen well over 150K miles without a need to ever service the brakes thanks to a majority of highway miles and the regenerative braking system not using the traditional friction brakes. It is possible that the previous owner drove rather hard though. I would recommend asking other Tesla Model S owners in your region what is the recommended service you need. For instance, I know areas with rain and snow really should have the brake caliper guide pins cleaned and lubricated at least every other year. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the Tesla Tech left your car in a compromised state after inspecting the brakes and suspension but I'm not sure how you go about proving that. Good luck and I hope others can help you.
thank you for your reply. I can't believe that they stopped recommending annual checkups so long ago. How could this guy have taken me for such a ride? I just asked to speak with the manager, who was in a meeting and going to "call me back."

This is the Tesla Service Center in Peabody Mass. Attached is the invoice. Keep in mind I dont really know what all this means, so I am at a clear disadvantage. Thank you for any help you can provide.
2023-11-29 12_37_45-.png
2023-11-29 12_37_55-tesla_invoicef37c1009-24c2-4a0e-b504-81b6271dbb4a.pdf  - Okular.png

Attachments

• 2023-11-29 12_37_29-tesla_invoicef37c1009-24c2-4a0e-b504-81b6271dbb4a.pdf  - Okular.png
    2023-11-29 12_37_29-tesla_invoicef37c1009-24c2-4a0e-b504-81b6271dbb4a.pdf - Okular.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2023-11-29 12_37_37-Inbox - eesfahanian@advisor360.com - Outlook.png
    2023-11-29 12_37_37-Inbox - [email protected] - Outlook.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 34
Ok, what you had here is a High Voltage Isolation Error caused by a bad battery heater. You had the heater replaced, not either of the batteries. This is a relatively common failure on your vintage car. I cant comment on your suspension issue but everything in the service that was done seems in line.

ok thank you for the clarification. Do you see what would amount to an "annual service" line item or items? That's a 900$ whack right there. Would they interact with the suspension in this situation? Frankly I see this work as a sunk cost, but I think it is way out of line to expect me to cover two brand new issues that emerged out of nowhere resulting from the service work they did, particularly when they were not identified or diagnosed by the tech doing the work.

ok thank you for the clarification. Do you see what would amount to an "annual service" line item or items? That's a 900$ whack right there. Would they interact with the suspension in this situation? Frankly I see this work as a sunk cost, but I think it is way out of line to expect me to cover two brand new issues that emerged out of nowhere resulting from the service work they did, particularly when they were not identified or diagnosed by the tech doing the work.
Yes, everything else outside the battery heater is the annual service. It looks like they did everything on the 4 year service interval which is the expensive one. You dont do this every year. Nothing to do with the suspension.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ