Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

2 Powerwall+ vs 1 Powerwall+ and one regular Powerwall

Hello! Im looking to instal a 10.2kw DC system consisting of 24 425w panels. My installer is offering me to option of getting 2 Powerwall+ or 1 Powerwall+ with the second Powerwall being the regular Powerwall 2.

As I understand, the Powerwall+ has a 7.6kw inverter that may be maxed out (clipping?) with my 10.2kw system but not by a lot.

I am failing to see the differences between the two options. Would getting the two Powerwall+ means that since I’ll have two inverters I can have half the PV capacity (5.1kw DC) attached to each one and overall daily production can be higher since I will no be experimenting clipping over 7.6kw?

Also, I want to have the option to expand the PV capacity in the future.

Does anybody have a system with two Powerwall+ instead of one of each?

I am really struggling to understand the main difference between the two options.

If anybody can help, I would be grateful.

Thaks

I would assume they would split the panels across both inverters. I would take this option for $1500 as you'll make enough extra electricity to easily cover $1500 in a few years (assuming South facing non-shaded layout). Being able to add more panels is nice if you have more roof space. I generally recommend putting up as many panels as will fit to begin with.

Reactions: Chud

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC