Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Quick Charging Qs for a Noob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Y a few weeks ago and loving it so far as well as my wall charger. 2 quick questions. Am I ok to keep it plugged in when not driving or pull it? Does it hurt the battery if I lets say only drive 50 miles and I keep recharging it up to 80 percent or I am I better off for longevity to let it run down to 20 percent and then recharge?

Yes, it is best to keep your MY (or any Tesla) plugged into a level 2 charger while not in use.
See this Tesla article. https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-7FE78D73-0A17-47C4-B21B-54F641FFAEF4.html

Maintaining a charge level between 20% and 80% is good for battery health. Many people report that maintaining a 50% charge level is best for optimal battery health but that isn't practical for most drivers. However, if all of your trips are just 50 miles, you could get by with a lower charge level than 80% so that your average charge level before and after the trip is 50%.

Last edited:
Honestly I generally only charge to 50-55 unless I need to go higher for some reason (I've gotten pretty good at estimating what I'll need for a particular day's driving). Usually finish the day around 25-30.

Assuming you can L2 charge at home... here's what I would do:
Figure out what percentage you use on an average day. Add your desired minimum margin (end of day value). Charge to that figure.

For battery longevity I try to spend as little time as possible above 55% and I use off-peak charging/scheduled departure to charge as late as possible.

Reactions: Resist