Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question about infrequent charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just go our YLR about 2 weeks ago and have been installing various things on it. I’ll be picking it up tomorrow from the ceramic coating guy!

The issue is that I’m retired and don’t drive all that much. I also have other ICE vehicles as well.

So my question is do I just wait until the SOC is down below about 30% and then charge it up to say about 70% or so for around town driving and not charge it up to 80% until we take an out of town trip?

I have the Tesla wall charger (60 amp breaker)

Thanks!

Just go our YLR about 2 weeks ago and have been installing various things on it. I’ll be picking it up tomorrow from the ceramic coating guy!

The issue is that I’m retired and don’t drive all that much. I also have other ICE vehicles as well.

So my question is do I just wait until the SOC is down below about 30% and then charge it up to say about 70% or so for around town driving and not charge it up to 80% until we take an out of town trip?

Thanks!

Congrats on the new car!

I'm not really a fan of letting the car get below 50% at home. In the event of an emergency, I want to make sure I have enough to get where I need to go - or at least to a Supercharger that's a fair distance away.

Charging to 70% regularly and bumping it up to 80 or 90% when you have a long trip is just fine. Occasionally charging to 100% is also fine.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I think it can be very regionally dependant. Superchargers are sparse where I live. Starting a day with less than 50% could lead to massive frustration.

But if you have abundant superchargers nearby that you can rely on for a quick squirt of energy there's less concern about not charging up over night.

I set my car to 80% and it's always plugged in when I'm home. The nearest supercharger is 32 miles away from home. The next two are about 100 miles.

Reactions: Big Earl

Thanks!
I charge the can when it near the 20% or lower mark. 60 amp breaker will still give you max charge rate of 48 amps. When not in use my car is plugged it at home and charges off peak hours only or weekend schedule at 20 amps from 48 amp.

In general, I recommend that rather than charging infrequently, you plug in all the time and lower the charge level. That way you are always ready for a longer trip, and can raise the charge level from your phone if you find the need to drive even further.

Also if you use features like preconditioning, sentry, or cabin overheat protection at home, the car can use wall power for it.

Unless it is a truck that you use for towing you will probably find that you will drive the Model Y and the other vehicles will just sit.

https://i.redd.it/0r5dn0fncw3c1.jpg

Our Tessies are so much fun to drive, I drive them much more than my old ICE cars. Sometimes I just go driving for no reason except for driving, and have done more road trips in a year and a half than I have done in the last 5 years. 23,000 miles on the Model X in a year and a half.

@smlobx - if you're not driving much, the best pattern for the long term longevity of your battery is drop the charge limit to 50% and plug it in regularly.

I've been doing this for more than a year and it's more than adequate for our average daily driving needs. When I know I'm going to have a heavy driving day, I bump the limit up the night before to whatever I want, then back down to 50% the next day.