Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 USB Ports under screen not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I picked up my car yesterday from the service center. Long story short it looks like they replaced the computer since all my settings, profile, and logins were all gone. I'm running an older version of software now as well.

They had trouble diagnosing the issue and basically they tried to rule everything else out (cables, connectors, and USB hub) prior to replacing the computer which apparently needs approval from engineering to do.

Picked up my car, put the same USB drive in that I had previously and it works great along with the wireless charger. Painful since my car was there for 11 days, but nice to have everything working as it should.

• Informative
Reactions: rickdogg82
The main computer swap is probably pretty involved for them. And I understand the engineering approval aspect. This old board will probably go back to the engineers for diagnosis. I imagine the VIN is tied to the computer and hence needs a much higher level to provision.

I'm just guessing. But glad they took care of it.

I've been wondering what the cost is like if the cars are out of warranty.... Are all these fixes gonna costs $1000+?

See my post #17 so I don't repeat.

The Tesla Mobile tech came this morning right on time. He had pulled my past vehicle data prior to coming so he had access to things about my Model 3 that I never knew. He determined that the electronic fuse (or circuit breaker) trips on my front USB ports and then resets at a point later, probably when things cool down. My issue was the front ports cutting out intermittently during some super charging sessions, or when the cabin temps got too hot.

He suggested I keep the Cabin Overheat Protection ON that kicks in if cabin temps reach 105 F. Since my issue is intermittent no replacement of parts was required at this point. I feel satisfied this is not a problem for me unless the intermittent cut out becomes a port failure.

See my post #17 so I don't repeat.

The Tesla Mobile tech came this morning right on time. He had pulled my past vehicle data prior to coming so he had access to things about my Model 3 that I never knew. He determined that the electronic fuse (or circuit breaker) trips on my front USB ports and then resets at a point later, probably when things cool down. My issue was the front ports cutting out intermittently during some super charging sessions, or when the cabin temps got too hot.

He suggested I keep the Cabin Overheat Protection ON that kicks in if cabin temps reach 105 F. Since my issue is intermittent no replacement of parts was required at this point. I feel satisfied this is not a problem for me unless the intermittent cut out becomes a port failure.

This sounds like exactly my problem as sometimes I get dead usb ports and they don't work all day but a day or so later they are working and sometimes work all day again. Did you have to pay a service fee for mobile tech to come out or was this part of a warranty call?

No charge. Covered under warranty. I took delivery of my Model 3 on March 15, 2020. The Tech said if the front ports completely cease to function in the future they will replace the faulty parts at no charge. Great service by Tesla!

Here's a follow-up note on this front USB port issue.

I took delivery of my Model 3 on March 15, 2020. Within two weeks my front USB ports would cut out, at first while supercharging. After a while or overnight they would function again. I had a mobile service visit in July where the Tesla Tech said if the front ports completely cease to function in the future they would replace the faulty parts at no charge.

The problem got worse this winter where it would cut out more frequently and simply while driving down the road. I just had the Tesla mobile tech leave my house after he replaced the USB port module that was the size of a deck of cards. The entire console was removed to access it and took him under an hour (in a snowstorm!). No charge- under warranty. Great service by Tesla!

For anyone that comes across this, we've found the ports just... die? with certain devices.

With my wife's phone, all ports die when it happens. But this is only sometimes, and usually not right after plugging in the phone. Restarting the car screen (hold steering wheel buttons down) works, as does the car restarting itself (e.g. if you leave it for a day, maybe it restarted at some point). Kind of like when on a computer a faulty USB device takes down the USB controller until you restart the computer (which makes sense, it's a computer you're plugging into in the Model 3). It took a bit to determine it was her phone specifically that caused this, but it probably could happen with any device plugged in via USB.

The solution for my wife's phone was a "dumb" USB cable that has power only, no data lines. It can't talk to the car so it can't break it. Charging is really slow as a result, but it's better than nothing.
What do you mean by putting a “dumb” usb cable? Do you mean in one of the usbc ports of the Tesla connect a wire that is usbc to usb that is not plugged into anything? Thanks!

I’m experiencing this issue as well. I had the first gen Jeda USB hub and it worked great until a Tesla update caused many malfunctions. I stopped using it and later purchased a cheaper Anker 4 usb data hub and it worked with no issues at all. I figured after a year the issue was fixed with firmware updates. I just purchased the new 2nd gen usb hub almond with the Jeda SSD drive and I was getting errors nonstop. I had to reset the car every time I got into the car to use all ports. In some cases every port stopped working. Went back to the Anker hub and I am using both ports for wireless phone charging, one SSD for dash cam, one SSD for music and using the other Tesla port for the Jeda tray to charge appple watch and airpods. Crazy how a cheaper solution is superior to a more expensive product. I just decided to hide rhe SSD drives and the Anker usb hub underneath the tray so it looks pretty clean. Going to try and get a refund for the usb hub and SSD.