Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 weeks old and acting weird.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night I was driving my 23 SRM3 on autopilot when all of the sudden autopilot became unavailable. Didn't think much of it until I started using my blinkers and noticed the cameras were black with a loading circle. Once I got home I noticed the navigation was also stuck at the point where everything seemed to go wrong. Everything else seems to be working properly though that I can tell.

Tried soft rebooting, disconnecting the 12 volt battery, nothing seemed to work.

No service appointments until Wednesday (not a big deal) but is there anything I could attempt to do to get it working again?

So last night I was driving my 23 SRM3 on autopilot when all of the sudden autopilot became unavailable. Didn't think much of it until I started using my blinkers and noticed the cameras were black with a loading circle. Once I got home I noticed the navigation was also stuck at the point where everything seemed to go wrong. Everything else seems to be working properly though that I can tell.

Tried soft rebooting, disconnecting the 12 volt battery, nothing seemed to work.

No service appointments until Wednesday (not a big deal) but is there anything I could attempt to do to get it working again?
I’m sorry I don’t have a solution since you’re already tried to reboot the system. But I’m curious to know how your service appointment goes. I’ve got a tesla on order and I’ve started having second thoughts after reading about all the trouble people have with reliability and SC. Hard to distinguish between true stories and those with an agenda. Hope your appointment goes well.

Reactions: DroopyMallard
What software version are you on? I had a similar problem (with the side cameras black and loading) on 2023.2.12 but 2023.6.8 appears to have fixed it. They did eventually come on in the earlier version but it took about a 5 minute drive with them showing black with the loading circle to correct itself. Have not had the problem on the latest 2023.6.8.

Mike

What software version are you on? I had a similar problem (with the side cameras black and loading) on 2023.2.12 but 2023.6.8 appears to have fixed it. They did eventually come on in the earlier version but it took about a 5 minute drive with them showing black with the loading circle to correct itself. Have not had the problem on the latest 2023.6.8.

Mike
2023.6.9. Everything intermittently fixes itself and goes out again. Very weird.

Give this a try while you wait for your service appointment

1680562709605.png

Reactions: DroopyMallard
Give this a try while you wait for your service appointment

View attachment 924601
Thanks for the tip but I did. Even tried disconnecting the batteries.

Not sure how true it is but someone on Reddit had the same issue and needed a new computer. Guess I’ll find out Thursday. You don’t realize how convenient cruise control is until you have 100 miles a day and can’t use it 😅

Reactions: chobra
I’m sorry I don’t have a solution since you’re already tried to reboot the system. But I’m curious to know how your service appointment goes. I’ve got a tesla on order and I’ve started having second thoughts after reading about all the trouble people have with reliability and SC. Hard to distinguish between true stories and those with an agenda. Hope your appointment goes well.
I've become a more ardent Tesla critic over the last year or so because I believe they (and by 'they', I mean Elon) is making strategic mistakes that he could very well regret down the line. But that being said, I think at the moment it's by far the most reliable and overall best BEV on the market by leaps and bounds. So if you have your heart set on an BEV, then I think you're nuts for going with anyone other than Tesla, especially if you need to charge outside of home on a regular basis.

A couple things that I think get overlooked when people try to gauge reliability regarding Teslas;
1) I think many Tesla owners appear to be more critical because of the way we approach tech. Many people are still scared of and don't understand BEVs. It takes a certain mindset to get one, even though perception is slowly turning. This mindset may mean that we're a bit more picky about little things and express this more often, which looks on the outside like we're overall unsatisfied with the car when that may not be the case. Also, even though sales are increasing, it's still very new tech and I think many people are buying Teslas without fully realizing the headaches that can go along with being an early adopter. These people are complaining about things that are not identical to owning an ICE or hybrid (battery percentage vs accurate range predictions, etc.).

2) I think the overall Tesla experience is very much tied to location at the moment, and that's not gonna change anytime soon. Many states are very antagonistic to BEVs in general because early proponents were considered 'woke', they also don't like Tesla in particular because of their direct sales model and the dealership lobbies have many politicians in their pocket. Also, there's not enough Service Centers in certain areas of the country and you can't just find a local shop that will fix stuff like you can for pretty much any other ICE or hybrid brand. Of the Service Centers that are out there, there's a wide quality spread. Some are good, some are bad. But that's no different from any other manufacturer. Dealership service quality is all over the place, too. But with Tesla it gets magnified because if the nearest SC is 3 hours away and it sucks, then you could be in for some pretty rough times if and when something needs to be fixed. I can't imagine buying a Tesla where the closest SC was more than about 50 miles away from me.