Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Behavior At and After Super Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this will be a factor in the issue, but my car was parked for 10 days at the airport in Philadelphia before this happened.

After picking up my car and doing some driving, I stopped at a SuperCharger that I have stopped at before without issue. The first strange behavior is that the pricing on the screen no longer showed few cents by few cents pricing like it always had, but it was now only updating the pricing after each kw/h that was received by the car. Also, when it was charging, there was a weird output on the charging screen (I should have taken a picture, as it happened more than once), as most of it was blank, but there were two messages where the pricing usually is. I don't remember what they said, but they both ended in an exclamation point. Also, the left side of the screen was blank.

In addition, during the charging (~15 minutes), on three occasions, there were really loud noises coming from the left rear that sounded like the window had gotten hit by a rock. That scared me, as I thought that somehow my window was broken. I now believe that it was actually the speaker popping.

After I finished charging and started to leave, there was more weird behavior. The streaming music died and the map went away, though the route was still depicted, basically a blue line through a gray screen, though still depicting traffic lights. After I tried changing to a different streaming station, I received a no internet message. This would also explain what happened to the map. In addition, there were no more noises coming from the dash, e.g. the turn signal sound, the autopilot ding, lane change warning, etc. However the autopilot did work, though for a short time, probably the first two or three minutes after I left the charger, the speedometer was only updating intermittently.

Not knowing what was going to happen if I tried a reboot, I drove that way for about 30 minutes, until I got to a safe location. I then did a steering wheel button reboot and since then all seems fine. Also, during those 30 minutes of driving, the popping sound happened twice more.

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening and if so, is it something that I should be worried about in the future? Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The software updates at least once a month - and they sometimes change. the info screens - for example what you saw when charging. Its not always better - but it is what it is !

Software glitches are also common - your streaming behavior required a reboot to reset everything - pretty common for most people once in a while. (wish the Tesla software team would focus on reliability versus messing with the info screens !)

The popping sound is most likely the metal tray encasing the battery, Especially when its cold out, the tray expands when the battery heats rapidly, like when supercharging, and that is the popping sound you hear. Perfectly normal and not an issue. I guess it can also pop back when you start driving in cold weather. It's like flexing a thin cookie sheet.

The software updates at least once a month - and they sometimes change. the info screens - for example what you saw when charging. Its not always better - but it is what it is !

Software glitches are also common - your streaming behavior required a reboot to reset everything - pretty common for most people once in a while. (wish the Tesla software team would focus on reliability versus messing with the info screens !)

The popping sound is most likely the metal tray encasing the battery, Especially when its cold out, the tray expands when the battery heats rapidly, like when supercharging, and that is the popping sound you hear. Perfectly normal and not an issue. I guess it can also pop back when you start driving in cold weather. It's like flexing a thin cookie sheet.
Thanks for the info. I was worried for a bit.

As for the charging info, I'm not sure why, but it appears that it only happens at this specific charging station, as I have charged in other locations since, and those display the running total instaed of only updating once a kw/h goes through.