Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” Induction - All Season for Tahoe - help me decide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oneday

Nov 29, 2014
Bay Area
I need new tires for my ‘22 MYLR with 20” Induction wheels. I was able to run 35k miles on my stock tires. Pretty happy with that!

I go to Tahoe about 5-10 times every winter.

I am thinking of getting the Continental DWS 06 Plus tires. Seem to be well reviewed.

My question and there doesn’t seem to be any consensus. What size? 255/40/20, 255/45/20, 275/40/20 supposedly all fit? I know the stock tires are 255/40/20, I would really like some extra curb-rash protection if possible.

Anyways, please tell me your thoughts. Should I get a different tire? What tire size is best?

Other CA people that do occasional trips to Tahoe but don’t live in the snow, and don’t want two sets of rims, what are you running?

Thanks

how have those tires handled your Tahoe trips this winter?
I’ve absolutely loved them! That being said Tahoe winter so far has been pretty mild. They’ve only experienced around an inch of snow a couple times. Last year, I was using the stock Goodyears in Tahoe’s record winter, and really shouldn’t have.

The larger tire diameter is the biggest game changer for me though. It was night and day difference as far as ride smoothness. I have a buddy who has same tire size model Y but with the Michelin Cross Climate 2’s and it seems to me that the Pirelli’s are quieter. It could also be because I am listening as a passenger though.

I need new tires for my ‘22 MYLR with 20” Induction wheels. I was able to run 35k miles on my stock tires. Pretty happy with that!

I go to Tahoe about 5-10 times every winter.

I am thinking of getting the Continental DWS 06 Plus tires. Seem to be well reviewed.

My question and there doesn’t seem to be any consensus. What size? 255/40/20, 255/45/20, 275/40/20 supposedly all fit? I know the stock tires are 255/40/20, I would really like some extra curb-rash protection if possible.

Anyways, please tell me your thoughts. Should I get a different tire? What tire size is best?

Other CA people that do occasional trips to Tahoe but don’t live in the snow, and don’t want two sets of rims, what are you running?

Thanks
There is no best all season. It’s a compromise. If you’re gonna go to Tahoe a few times buy those auto socks or whatever.

I bought 19 takeoffs and threw some continental snows on.

I’ve absolutely loved them! That being said Tahoe winter so far has been pretty mild. They’ve only experienced around an inch of snow a couple times. Last year, I was using the stock Goodyears in Tahoe’s record winter, and really shouldn’t have.

The larger tire diameter is the biggest game changer for me though. It was night and day difference as far as ride smoothness. I have a buddy who has same tire size model Y but with the Michelin Cross Climate 2’s and it seems to me that the Pirelli’s are quieter. It could also be because I am listening as a passenger though.

thanks. I am considering those but on an 18" wheel set, so I would likely go with 235/55/18 and the 100H rating. CC2 would be the same rating at the same size, but CC2 also has 245/55/18 which is 0.6" larger diameter and had a 103V rating, closer to the stock tires.

235/55/18 had the Quadtrac Pros at the proper ratings, but I am leaning CC2 or Pirelli SWA.

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 8.31.48 PM.png

thanks. I am considering those but on an 18" wheel set, so I would likely go with 235/55/18 and the 100H rating. CC2 would be the same rating at the same size, but CC2 also has 245/55/18 which is 0.6" larger diameter and had a 103V rating, closer to the stock tires.

235/55/18 had the Quadtrac Pros at the proper ratings, but I am leaning CC2 or Pirelli SWA.

View attachment 1009936
I was looking at the quatrac pro but the difference between the 50k and 60k mile warranty for the CC2 and Pirelli SWA made me lean towards the latter two.

Personally, I would go the 245/55/18 route. The taller side wall will give you a better ride and better snow performance.

I was looking at the quatrac pro but the difference between the 50k and 60k mile warranty for the CC2 and Pirelli SWA made me lean towards the latter two.

Personally, I would go the 245/55/18 route. The taller side wall will give you a better ride and better snow performance.
That is where I am leaning at the moment. It's nearly one inch of extra sidewall. And nearly every review of CC2 is favorable/satisfied.

I do enjoy the efficiency numbers and seeing how driving habits affect that, so I will need to figure out the conversions for having a different diameter. Although the OP in this thread states the speedo was off by 3% on OEMs, so perhaps this level of accuracy is not worth the time.