Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

275/40/20 stock induction wheels on model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome all,
I saw discussions on this form to check what is the MAX tire I can fit on my tesla model y LR 2022 and I saw many peoples already fitted 275/40/20R on their 20 inch rims, but not many feedbacks about the ride comfort and driving quality, what I did that I ordered a Fulda 275/40 R20 106Y Sport Control 2 2023 and fit it and I wasn’t expecting the ride quality to increase significantly but when I tried them, WOW if I knew that it will be like that I would changed them immediately, I was struggling with the harsh pumps on road and the loud street sound, and I was considering changing my suspension with something softer but hesitated to keep the tesla warranty, the struggle was looking for soft tires since there are a ton of companies but finally decided to go with Fluda which I never heard of them but I saw many reviews saying it’s very comfortable but don’t know about wear and tear and I don’t mind to change them often in my case I’m looking for Maximum comfort and they area half the price of other Tesla approved tires with the foam inside

Quick conclusion:
- Old tires was Michelin 255/40/20R OEM
- new tires Fulda 275/40 R20 106Y Sport Control 2 2023 (620$ 4 tires)

Pros:
-very comfortable ride ( street imperfections are much less and even the normal pumps)
- less street sound
- steering and control are much much better
- less expensive than recommended tires
- More stability due to wider tires

Cons:
- will reduce the range (still new didn’t calculate the loss and I don’t mind charging)

Finally I wrote this to help others who is looking if size 274/40/20 will fit or not, Goo for it “and don’t forget to use the Jack Lift Point Pad or the battery will be damaged”,

0EBBC0D4-9260-47B6-9A2A-E7BEA72CFD7F.jpeg
IMG_2892.png
IMG_2891.jpeg
IMG_2888.jpeg

Reactions: Danno_
Note:
- your real speed will be higher than what shown in the speedometer ( approximately 3 or 4 kmh more, example if speedometer shows that you are going at 120 km/h your real speed will be around 124 km/h so be careful of getting speeding ticket)

Welcome all,
I saw discussions on this form to check what is the MAX tire I can fit on my tesla model y LR 2022 and I saw many peoples already fitted 275/40/20R on their 20 inch rims, but not many feedbacks about the ride comfort and driving quality, what I did that I ordered a Fulda 275/40 R20 106Y Sport Control 2 2023 and fit it and I wasn’t expecting the ride quality to increase significantly but when I tried them, WOW if I knew that it will be like that I would changed them immediately, I was struggling with the harsh pumps on road and the loud street sound, and I was considering changing my suspension with something softer but hesitated to keep the tesla warranty, the struggle was looking for soft tires since there are a ton of companies but finally decided to go with Fluda which I never heard of them but I saw many reviews saying it’s very comfortable but don’t know about wear and tear and I don’t mind to change them often in my case I’m looking for Maximum comfort and they area half the price of other Tesla approved tires with the foam inside

Quick conclusion:
- Old tires was Michelin 255/40/20R OEM
- new tires Fulda 275/40 R20 106Y Sport Control 2 2023 (620$ 4 tires)

Pros:
-very comfortable ride ( street imperfections are much less and even the normal pumps)
- less street sound
- steering and control are much much better
- less expensive than recommended tires
- More stability due to wider tires

Cons:
- will reduce the range (still new didn’t calculate the loss and I don’t mind charging)

Finally I wrote this to help others who is looking if size 274/40/20 will fit or not, Goo for it “and don’t forget to use the Jack Lift Point Pad or the battery will be damaged”,

View attachment 997876
GOODYEAR?

thanks for posting this. How is this set up working out for you after a month of use? I want to change my stock 255's for 275's so very interested in how you are getting on with them.
So far so good, much better than the 255, go for it, the odometer will show exactly your real speed until you reach 140 km/h your real speed will be 141 km/h, highly recommended 👍

Been playing around with wheels/tires for ModelY in USA
I have to agree - 275/40's (with acceleration boost) seems to be the way to go.

PROS:
-Wheel protection
-Comfort
-Odometer discrepancy (I like it)
-Hugs the road
-Looks flush with body

CONS:
-Kicks up more rocks to your 1/4 panel (get vinyl protective patch)
-Heavier on all 4 corners
-0-60 noticeably slower

FUD:
-Range... you wont notice the change from stock tires.
-"fitment" - Clearance to the arm, in the picture it is ~3cm (1/2in.) away from the arm without rubbing issues. And I completely compressed the suspension one day to the point that the front motor mounts under the plastic skid plate will get hit before the tire shaves the wheelwell.

I attached other photos so you dont have to go through the work ;)

Attachments

• tight2.jpg
    tight2.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 50
  • tight.jpg
    tight.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 275vs245.jpg
    275vs245.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 275.40's.jpg
    275.40's.jpg