Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012-2014 RAV4 EV Reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my old 2012 PriusC as my cheap car, and I have a slight itch to sell it and buy a RAV4 EV. However, before I let my itch grow, I'm curious if others on this forum can chime in on the reliability (and costs) of the 2012-2014 RAV4 EV. I'm concerned about how bad the costs could grow given the Toyota-Tesla partnership if the drive train or battery needs replacement out of warranty.

I have owned a RAV4 EV since new in April 2013. I have the Toyota Platinum 8yr/100k mile extended warranty. I've never made a claim on the extended warranty. However, I did have the drive unit replaced under the Powertrain Warranty due to excessive noise. As long as you get a car that has had the drive unit replaced after April 2016, you should be good. The other glaring problem is the PTC cabin heater. They fail way more than they should and cost about $2,500 to replace. It can also blow the fuse in the DC-DC converter, which will cause that to be replaced too since the fuse is sealed inside. The cabin heater is actually the reason I bought the extended warranty. I have about 10 months left on the extended warranty and I'll probably keep it until some prohibitively expensive repair comes up.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60