Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Performance Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2012 Tesla model s signature, and I was looking around and saw that the early ones (85s) had the same motor as the P85's is there any way to flash the P85 software on the 85 ones to get the performance out of it and how would you go about doing this?

I have a 2012 Tesla model s signature, and I was looking around and saw that the early ones (85s) had the same motor as the P85's is there any way to flash the P85 software on the 85 ones to get the performance out of it and how would you go about doing this?
The motor assemblies are not the same. They both have what is referred to as an LDU, Large Drive Unit, but if you look in the parts catalog you'll see that there are two variations, a "base" unit and a "sport" unit with two different part numbers. The difference is a higher current inverter in the sport unit.

No need to check anything. If you have a plain non-performance S85 you have a base motor, if you have a Peformance P85 you have a sport motor. If you want to upgrade an S to a P you need to put in a sport motor and edit the software configuration.

Last edited: