Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a 2012 Model S P85 with 21 inch wheels. are they 9.0 or 8.5 inches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. Does that mean those wheels cannot use a 265/35 Z 21 tire?
Why do you want a tire that size on 21x8.5" wheels? What do you hope to get out of it vs stock size? I think conventional wisdom is it won't be good for handling overall, but I haven't tried a setup like that myself.

Have you looked into the overall clearance for a tire of that diameter and width, when mounted at stock offset, front and rear? Especially front knuckle clearance for the larger diameter.

I don't have any offhand knowledge about tire clearance on the Model S, you'll have to look up or measure the answers. :)

Why do you want a tire that size on 21x8.5" wheels? What do you hope to get out of it vs stock size? I think conventional wisdom is it won't be good for handling overall, but I haven't tried a setup like that myself.

Have you looked into the overall clearance for a tire of that diameter and width, when mounted at stock offset, front and rear? Especially front knuckle clearance for the larger diameter.

I don't have any offhand knowledge about tire clearance on the Model S, you'll have to look up or measure the answers. :)
Thank you for your knowledgable reply. On the 2013 Model S, which is the same body as my 2012, Tesla used staggered wheels where the rears where 265/35 Z21 and the fronts are 245/35 Z 21. I read that the wheels were different sizes as well.

Thank you for your knowledgable reply. On the 2013 Model S, which is the same body as my 2012, Tesla used staggered wheels where the rears where 265/35 Z21 and the fronts are 245/35 Z 21. I read that the wheels were different sizes as well.

Is that true even for the P85 version with 21" wheels. There were no staggered wheel set-ups with 9" wheels on the 2012 Model S?
Correct. Regular P85 came with 4 identical 21x8.5" wheels. There was no P85+ yet in 2012 so most definitely all 2012 P85 left the factory with 21x8.5" wheels at all four corners. The P85+ option started mid-2013.

Wheels can be swapped obviously, and the P85+ rear wheels fit perfectly well on any 2012-2020 Model S, so don't make any assumptions based on this. This reply is just to the question of what came from the factory.

Correct. Regular P85 came with 4 identical 21x8.5" wheels. There was no P85+ yet in 2012 so most definitely all 2012 P85 left the factory with 21x8.5" wheels at all four corners. The P85+ option started mid-2013.

Wheels can be swapped obviously, and the P85+ rear wheels fit perfectly well on any 2012-2020 Model S, so don't make any assumptions based on this. This reply is just to the question of what came from the factory.
Thank you for the information. May I mount 265/35 Z R 21 tires on the 8.5", 21"wheels to use for the rear tires on my P85?