Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
since there are so many great car appraisers here, i thought it would be appropriate place to ask what is my car worth and what is your explanation?

2014 P85D
clean title
40k miles
no standard warranty, 3 yrs left on battery/drive unit
car is 9.5/10 inside and out. this car is for a buyer that wants a 5 year old car as close to mint as possible.

pearl white
21" grey turbines
grey next gen front and rear seats
plus suspension
black alcantara headliner and dash
cf interior
AP1
tech package
smart air suspension
high fidelity sound
premium interior and extended leather
all glass pano roof
red calipers
cf spoiler

no subzero
no rear facing seats

Not sure about anyone else but my budget is about $45k. I’m up at Tahoe right now and would make a trip to the Bay Area to see your car.

Others may value your 9.5/10 car higher but I’m used to buying used vehicles with expected wear and tear for a 5 year old car.

Rented an 85D off Turo last week in the Bay Area and found it great on Page Mill Rd up to skyline. Felt a little stiff on potholes and such and sadly I live with a lot of those in MS. Not sure myself if I’d appreciate the Plus Suspension, or does the air suspension include a comfort setting when you want a comfortable ride? I believe there’s a small group of fans who really like the Plus Suspension but most of those fans probably have an S with it if they value it so highly. Average market may not care.

Your car should still have transferable FUSC (though some are debating that atm). That’d be useful for me to drive it back to MS but otherwise I’ll be charging at home normally. Perceived value of FUSC is very specific to each buyer.

Original battery and drive units?
Repairs/upgraded replacements on the door handles?
Are you the first/original owner and if not how long have you had the car?
Any range reduction from recent firmware or by chance are you still on V 8.?

Last edited:
Funny, a few months back when Tesla.com had a flood of used S cars people would point to those values as their source for bashing people publicly on their listing price. Now that the absolute cheapest P85D car ev-cpo.com shows is $51,500 (as of this post) with nearly 58k miles and no options other than SaS nobody wants to reference that? Instead we get people throwing out $45k as a value for a car that's probably worth $10k more than that? The closest car to OP's options is $54,700 as of right now on ev-cpo.com and let us not forget.... no longer comes with unlimited supercharging for life like the OP's.

Funny, a few months back when Tesla.com had a flood of used S cars people would point to those values as their source for bashing people publicly on their listing price. Now that the absolute cheapest P85D car ev-cpo.com shows is $51,500 (as of this post) with nearly 58k miles and no options other than SaS nobody wants to reference that? Instead we get people throwing out $45k as a value for a car that's probably worth $10k more than that? The closest car to OP's options is $54,700 as of right now on ev-cpo.com and let us not forget.... no longer comes with unlimited supercharging for life like the OP's.

He said his budget was 45k, not that the car was worth 45k, but by all means please continue your ranting...

Reactions: aaronkalb
OPs vehicle is out of primary warranty. Tesla Used cars still come with a new but shorter warranty.
There were Tesla Used P85D cars that went for $45k. I didn’t want red so I passed.
I don’t know this for sure (someone please post if you KNOW), but I suspect buying a Tesla Used car would let you use Tesla Finance for a loan. Personally I hate the idea of using 3rd party financing so I’d just pay the $45k. That’s why I said it was my budget. That’s a significant cash expenditure.
In my case I’m still considering a brand new S Performance, what used to be called a P100DL. It’ll have a brand new warranty and brand new battery and all the upgrades to AP and more efficient drive motors. It can be financed with Tesla Finance without a huge cash outlay and I can certainly make the payments. Plus I’ll get to order the exact color scheme I want and Tesla will deliver it to my house rather than this car I’d have to drive 3-4 days home. But I rarely buy new because you lose so much in depreciation in the first few years and in MS if I buy used private party they don’t charge sales tax. I can afford new, but I’d be quite happy with the right used AP1 S.

OP asked what we thought it was worth and WHY. A few months ago Tesla sold P85Ds for $45K. Since then a firmware update has limited some 85 batteries. I have no idea if OPs 85 battery is affected. For all the reasons I’ve outlined, to me it’s worth a $45k cash offer. I can go to OP, see the car in person and wire the funds or give him a cashiers check.

OP is perfectly free to tell me to jump in a lake at my price (I’m at Lake Tahoe so I’ll be jumping in anyway), or you and others can suggest a different value.

As has been posted repeatedly, CARFAX and Vroom will give you a valuation. I’m not sure if that’s on trade in only or if they’ll outright buy a used car. As others have posted Tesla trade in values are usually quite a bit lower.

If you think it’s worth more tell OP why. Ultimately OP has a reason for asking and will do whatever is in their best interest with their P85D.

He said his budget was 45k, not that the car was worth 45k, but by all means please continue your ranting...

It was far from a rant but thanks for that useful & informative contribution.

OPs vehicle is out of primary warranty. Tesla Used cars still come with a new but shorter warranty.
There were Tesla Used P85D cars that went for $45k. I didn’t want red so I passed.
I don’t know this for sure (someone please post if you KNOW), but I suspect buying a Tesla Used car would let you use Tesla Finance for a loan. Personally I hate the idea of using 3rd party financing so I’d just pay the $45k. That’s why I said it was my budget. That’s a significant cash expenditure.
In my case I’m still considering a brand new S Performance, what used to be called a P100DL. It’ll have a brand new warranty and brand new battery and all the upgrades to AP and more efficient drive motors. It can be financed with Tesla Finance without a huge cash outlay and I can certainly make the payments. Plus I’ll get to order the exact color scheme I want and Tesla will deliver it to my house rather than this car I’d have to drive 3-4 days home. But I rarely buy new because you lose so much in depreciation in the first few years and in MS if I buy used private party they don’t charge sales tax. I can afford new, but I’d be quite happy with the right used AP1 S.

OP asked what we thought it was worth and WHY. A few months ago Tesla sold P85Ds for $45K. Since then a firmware update has limited some 85 batteries. I have no idea if OPs 85 battery is affected. For all the reasons I’ve outlined, to me it’s worth a $45k cash offer. I can go to OP, see the car in person and wire the funds or give him a cashiers check.

OP is perfectly free to tell me to jump in a lake at my price (I’m at Lake Tahoe so I’ll be jumping in anyway), or you and others can suggest a different value.

As has been posted repeatedly, CARFAX and Vroom will give you a valuation. I’m not sure if that’s on trade in only or if they’ll outright buy a used car. As others have posted Tesla trade in values are usually quite a bit lower.

If you think it’s worth more tell OP why. Ultimately OP has a reason for asking and will do whatever is in their best interest with their P85D.

All of your references on what you think his car is worth is past tense... got a time machine? If not, the car you "passed" on is now $10k more through Tesla. You also are stuck dealing with Tesla used cars which is an absolute nightmare versus meeting this guy to drive is car and finalize a transaction and own the car the same day. That's worth something to most and more so to anyone who's actually bought a used car from Tesla because they now understand how much easier that is.

All of your references on what you think his car is worth is past tense... got a time machine? If not, the car you "passed" on is now $10k more through Tesla. You also are stuck dealing with Tesla used cars which is an absolute nightmare versus meeting this guy to drive is car and finalize a transaction and own the car the same day. That's worth something to most and more so to anyone who's actually bought a used car from Tesla because they now understand how much easier that is.

It seems to bear repeating in this thread as in so many others. A used car, house, artwork, etc is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If OP thinks the value to him is $100,000 then that’s his price to part with it. It doesn’t mean anyone else in the world will pay new P100DL prices for his 5 year old P85D.

This car is worth what someone will pay for it, no more, no less. To me, it’s $45K. Carmax, Carvanna, Vroom, another car dealer, another private party will have their own valuation.

I don’t need this car. I already have 4 vehicles in a family of 3 drivers. I’m tired of feeding gas to my daily driver and it’s time for my mid-life crisis car. I can buy a new P100DL or OPs car to me is worth $45K cash.

OP is in the SF Bay Area. Craigslist is full of used listings. OP can list there for free, or OnlyUsedTesla for a fee, or eBay for free, etc.

OP asked what we on this forum thought it might be worth. I’m talking about a cash purchase offer that’d I’m willing to drive over and pay OP for his car if it’s as described. I’ve PMd OP with my phone number and questions about whether it’s the original battery and DUs and whether the door handles have been serviced and whether they were serviced after the updated and more reliable design.

You’re welcome to argue your theoretical valuation and OP is welcome to accept your theoretical valuation.

I’m offering to purchase at my price. At what price are you willing to put up money and buy OPs car?

Are you offering to buy OPs car at $55K yourself? Or maybe $46K to beat my offer and you think you’ll flip it.

I’m asking honestly what is your bid for you to get out from behind your keyboard and part with how much money to buy OPs car. $??,???.??

Make a hard $ offer and back it up if OP accepts. Whatever that $ number YOU will PAY TODAY is exactly what OPs P85D is worth to you. And in the end that’s what OP asked for, prices someone will pay for their car.

• Love
Reactions: SSedan and P85_DA
Not sure about anyone else but my budget is about $45k. I’m up at Tahoe right now and would make a trip to the Bay Area to see your car.

Others may value your 9.5/10 car higher but I’m used to buying used vehicles with expected wear and tear for a 5 year old car.

Rented an 85D off Turo last week in the Bay Area and found it great on Page Mill Rd up to skyline. Felt a little stiff on potholes and such and sadly I live with a lot of those in MS. Not sure myself if I’d appreciate the Plus Suspension, or does the air suspension include a comfort setting when you want a comfortable ride? I believe there’s a small group of fans who really like the Plus Suspension but most of those fans probably have an S with it if they value it so highly. Average market may not care.

Your car should still have transferable FUSC (though some are debating that atm). That’d be useful for me to drive it back to MS but otherwise I’ll be charging at home normally. Perceived value of FUSC is very specific to each buyer.

Original battery and drive units?
Repairs/upgraded replacements on the door handles?
Are you the first/original owner and if not how long have you had the car?
Any range reduction from recent firmware or by chance are you still on V 8.?

has free unlimited supercharging and shows transfers to next owner on my tesla account
also has xpel on the whole front end of the car(forgot to mention that)
original battery and drive unit
only driver handle was repaired once because the gear broke. this is late 2014 car or you can consider it 2015, door handle issues were mainly on 2012-2013 cars
2nd owner, 2 years of ownership
no range reduction nor supercharging speed reduction

to be honest, im not sure why you are even considering my car when it obviously has things you dont want on it like the plus suspension and the fact that you want a beat up car for less.

If you base your opinion on what your car is worth from people on this site your car is worth $15K if that.

Also, you might want to check on the transfer of free supercharging. Something happened or is happening with that but I am not to sure what.

Lifetime free supercharging might have gone away?

• Funny
Reactions: Daddy S and P85_DA
It seems to bear repeating in this thread as in so many others. A used car, house, artwork, etc is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If OP thinks the value to him is $100,000 then that’s his price to part with it. It doesn’t mean anyone else in the world will pay new P100DL prices for his 5 year old P85D.

This car is worth what someone will pay for it, no more, no less. To me, it’s $45K. Carmax, Carvanna, Vroom, another car dealer, another private party will have their own valuation.

I don’t need this car. I already have 4 vehicles in a family of 3 drivers. I’m tired of feeding gas to my daily driver and it’s time for my mid-life crisis car. I can buy a new P100DL or OPs car to me is worth $45K cash.

OP is in the SF Bay Area. Craigslist is full of used listings. OP can list there for free, or OnlyUsedTesla for a fee, or eBay for free, etc.

OP asked what we on this forum thought it might be worth. I’m talking about a cash purchase offer that’d I’m willing to drive over and pay OP for his car if it’s as described. I’ve PMd OP with my phone number and questions about whether it’s the original battery and DUs and whether the door handles have been serviced and whether they were serviced after the updated and more reliable design.

You’re welcome to argue your theoretical valuation and OP is welcome to accept your theoretical valuation.

I’m offering to purchase at my price. At what price are you willing to put up money and buy OPs car?

Are you offering to buy OPs car at $55K yourself? Or maybe $46K to beat my offer and you think you’ll flip it.

I’m asking honestly what is your bid for you to get out from behind your keyboard and part with how much money to buy OPs car. $??,???.??

Make a hard $ offer and back it up if OP accepts. Whatever that $ number YOU will PAY TODAY is exactly what OPs P85D is worth to you. And in the end that’s what OP asked for, prices someone will pay for their car.
Someone's upset because my opinion of what this car is worth on today's market (that the OP solicited) doesn't jive with their low-ball offer.

If you base your opinion on what your car is worth from people on this site your car is worth $15K if that.

Also, you might want to check on the transfer of free supercharging. Something happened or is happening with that but I am not to sure what.

You'll probably be bashed publicly if you list it for $15k since they'll claim it's only worth $5k and you're a predator for price gouging at $15k. lol

Back on topic....

The unlimited free supercharging will transfer free-of-charge to the new owner just as they always have. The ONLY exception recently added to this was if the OP trades it into Tesla. Then it would lose this feature whenever the new buyer purchased it. This is ONLY used cars resold by Tesla and doesn't affect party to party sales at all. In other words, if you value supercharging for free don't buy a used car from Tesla directly.

not sure how they are going to get around that though when you sell something and then gonna decide to change it.

also the wording on this is pretty clear
upload_2019-7-26_10-31-51.png

You'll probably be bashed publicly if you list it for $15k since they'll claim it's only worth $5k and you're a predator for price gouging at $15k. lol

Back on topic....

The unlimited free supercharging will transfer free-of-charge to the new owner just as they always have. The ONLY exception recently added to this was if the OP trades it into Tesla. Then it would lose this feature whenever the new buyer purchased it. This is ONLY used cars resold by Tesla and doesn't affect party to party sales at all. In other words, if you value supercharging for free don't buy a used car from Tesla directly.

i wonder how they will handle cars that end up at 3rd party dealers? you wont have any proof if it has free supercharging or not

2014 Model S | Tesla << This is a well optioned P85D with 36k miles and a 2 year warranty for $53.7k. No matter how much you hate buying a used car from Tesla itself (I personally hate it with a passion), the fact is that private party prices are lower than dealer prices by about 10%, and the 2 year warranty is probably worth about $2k.

So based on that, I think a realistic price for your car would be about 45-47k.

Correction: You also have FUSC which is I think worth a lot now, plus the 21s. I'd price your car at 47-50k.

Last edited:
Someone's upset because my opinion of what this car is worth on today's market (that the OP solicited) doesn't jive with their low-ball offer.

You call my offer a low-ball and maybe OP can do better easily. You still didn’t specify how much your hard offer is. How much will YOU pay OP for his car?

2014 Model S | Tesla << This is a well optioned P85D with 36k miles and a 2 year warranty for $53.7k. No matter how much you hate buying a used car from Tesla itself (I personally hate it with a passion), the fact is that private party prices are lower than dealer prices by about 10%, and the 2 year warranty is probably worth about $2k.

So based on that, I think a realistic price for your car would be about 45-47k.

Correction: You also have FUSC which is I think worth a lot now, plus the 21s. I'd price your car at 47-50k.

Reasonable. The 21”s hold no value for me, I’d prefer 19”s so my offer doesn’t add $$ for 21”s. In fact if I buy OPs car I’d probably try to find someone to swap with. FUSC is probably worth $500 TO ME. There a SC site in my town of Meridian, MS but I’ll be charging nightly at home. For the times I’ll road trip to Jackson and may need to charge a bit before return drive the SC just isn’t really all that expensive. FUSC is a nice bonus but not a must have for me.

For the XPEL and FUSC I’ll bump my offer to $45,500.

Best recommendation to OP is to list it in SFBAY Craigslist. If I were selling it I’d start at $55k and drop it daily $500-$1000 just like Tesla does with Tesla Used. Downside is with CL you have to deal with tire kickers and people who may not ultimately have the funds or qualify for a loan, plus the time to meet and show the car to multiple people, etc. Today’s Friday. If I were OP I’d post it on CL today and spend the weekend talking, showing, negotiating with potential buyers. OP probably will find a buyer willing and able to pay more than my $45.5K but I’m a knowledgeable buyer familiar with the Model S and I have cash in the bank.

To OP, I’m in Tahoe at least through next week until Sat Aug 3rd. I may or may not extend my stay at Tahoe though the 5th or 6th. So my recommendation is to sell via CL, but if you (OP) want a painless sale at $45.5K please reach out to me before Sat Aug 3rd.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

The $54,700 car has half the miles of OP's car, so I don't think that's the best comparison. The $53.6k is a better comparison.

But one more thing which I think is important. Private party sales are always cheaper than buying from a dealer, and the difference is big enough that it would not make up for FUSC. Even if there was not a warranty involved, for a variety of reasons private party purchases are cheaper.

But in any case. If the OP said he sold his car for $50k I wouldn't be surprised. I think 47-50k is fair valuation. Personally I would actually prefer a private party purchase of a Tesla given all Tesla used customers seem to have been going through.

Here another thread with a 2015 blue P85D purchased as CPO so still has 2 years of full warranty is asking $51,900. It has rear jump seats. Value for that is 100% buyer dependent. I’d like to have them, but KS isn’t a convenient location for me to buy from and the Blue/Tan isn’t my preference.
2015 Model S P85D - Blue, Rear Facing Seats, Warranty, Loaded

Take off $2k for the warranty and this P85D is comparable at $50K. Maybe add some $$ for that car being a 2015 vs 2014 (2015 saw v2 of Pano roof and upgrade to LTE, but not sure of build date on blue P85D).
Buyers will adjust pricing/valuation based on personal preferences. For instance I’m not sure I’d want his P85D because it’s blue/tan even if he’d accept $45K, but I’m considering it.

OP has a better color (top two colors in US are white and black, though my top choice is Midnight Silver), is located in SF Bay with plenty of Tesla potential buyers some of whom have lots of cash, and OP has a beautiful car.

If OP tries CL and spends all the personal time showing the car I’d expect he’ll find a local buyer for $49-50k+/-

I know my offer of $45.5k is lower but I’m a qualified buyer with cash. It’s all about what OP wants. Max $$$ or easy transaction with qualified buyer.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Lol this place is rough to sell a car ..OP asked , which I admire what folks thought car was worth. It’s his car and regardless of what folks think of value the market will take care of itself ..I get we are all trying to “help” less informed folks but at end of day the car will sell and I trust others do their own homework prior to making a large purchase ;)..either way to OP GLWS :)

• Funny
Reactions: tesiono