Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S P85D Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for any advice regarding preventative / preemptive maintenance of my P85D.

it's been a fantastic experience so far. I bought the vehicle with 14K miles in 2017. It currently has 65K miles and, other than a door handle and a DU recall/replacement covered under warranty, it has been fantastic driving machine.

It has been long enough now that there should be plenty of information regarding fairly common failures. If anyone has any information regarding maintenance or "things to address" before you are stuck on the side of the road, it would be much appreciated.

JJ

Last edited:
Based on having the same car with around the same mileage, here are some things you could check proactively:
-- Grounding nuts on both sides of the area under the frunk tub - these can corrode to the point of disintegration, but may not happen in your climate. When they get too corroded, you get electrical malfunctions, and the driver's side nut can disable your car. Passenger side nut causes a lot of false alerts and your alarm can go off randomly. You can research this on this forum (search for "ground nut").
-- Drive unit axle seals - these can leak differential but you might not see any leaks outside of the car.
-- Control arm bushings - you can check for tears
-- Rear hatch struts - corrosion of the ball studs and clips at the ends of the struts. This is very common, and these inexpensive attachment parts can be replaced without having to replace the struts themselves. Ppl typically just order the parts from Tesla and either take it to an independent mechanic or DIY it.

Also, since you're in Florida, you could consider having Electrified Garage do a thorough inspection of your car. It's more expensive than a typical car inspection, but they are very thorough and will find things like the issues I mentioned above. Whatever issues they find, you usually can have repaired somewhere else less expensively (EG's services are great but basically as expensive as Tesla SC).

Hope this is helpful. After fixing the above things and a few other relatively minor issues, I'm also hoping to have a fantastic ownership experience with this car for many years.