Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S vs 2021 3. Or head vs heart.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Trying to decide between buying a 2014 red model S 85 with 44,000 miles from Carvana or a new Model 3 Standard Range Plus in blue for 41k. The model three would be direct from Tesla. It’s an existing inventory that just became available. I live in Massachusetts and you get a $2500 rebate on a new EV that cost less than 50 K so really the cost of the model three would be about 38.5 K.
I love the way both drive. The look on the S is outstanding. Just walking up to it from a distance is amazing, but money matters and I keep thinking about it as an investment and looking at how even a year ago I model three only depreciated 10% over the course of three years and it’s only gotten better. Right now I can buy this new one for less than I could buy used model 3. And the 3 looks great. It’s just not an S.
so I guess I’m just trying to talk out ahead versus heart decision and see if anyone can throw the thought has not occurred to me. Thanks!

Important info. I already on a 2014 Model S and I love it, but I have had to take care of a few things since I got it a year ago. It needed a new motor which was covered, but a lot of the ancillary components needed replacing and it wound up costing me about $1000 out of pocket. And the reason I got to talking to the salesman was because I had to bring it back in today for the MCU and screen.
So the fact that everything on the 3 is covered is certainly in my head. Especially since I rent out on Turo some.

I would buy the model 3. You are getting all the newest technology for one. The model S probably has MCU 1 also probably Autopilot 1 or no Autopilot. The Model 3 will have all new batteries and warranty as well. That 2014 is at least 7 years old so only 1 more year on the battery warranty and motor. To me it is a no brainer to get a new model 3 over a 2014 S.

Thanks. That’s a nice looking 3!
I would buy the model 3. You are getting all the newest technology for one. The model S probably has MCU 1 also probably Autopilot 1 or no Autopilot. The Model 3 will have all new batteries and warranty as well. That 2014 is at least 7 years old so only 1 more year on the battery warranty and motor. To me it is a no brainer to get a new model 3 over a 2014 S.
Thanks. Yes, it’s from 11-15 so autopilot 1.

The peace of mind of a full warranty is awfully nice
Battery and motor repairs will be huge bucks and I'm assuming you will keep the car for more then 2 years. At least if you get the new M3 you will not have to think about that for 8 years or 120k miles. Getting all the latest tech is huge on these cars also. Model 3 has a heat pump so more efficient in the winter. New self driving computer, better touch screen computer.

Battery and motor repairs will be huge bucks and I'm assuming you will keep the car for more then 2 years. At least if you get the new M3 you will not have to think about that for 8 years or 120k miles. Getting all the latest tech is huge on these cars also. Model 3 has a heat pump so more efficient in the winter. New self driving computer, better touch screen computer.
All true. Even though I’m not interested in FSD until it’s actually full self driving it would be nice to have the software to do it if it ever happens.

Reactions: THXULTRA
No comparison.

Get the 2021 Model 3

Everything is better in every way. Your back will also thank you.

2014 Model S Stone toad stool seats vs. 2021 Model 3 Marshmallow seats

My Dad just upgraded from a 2014 Model S to a 2020 Model 3. His back is now relieved 😂

Reactions: Electricmike
While lots of members here "forum surf" between more than one vehicle model subforum here, its not surprising that the model 3 subforum would say "get the model 3" (lol).

I find these two vehicles sufficiently different that they are in different classes. Its like saying "Do I buy a new BMW 3 series, or a used 7 series? They are different markets, to me. I never leased or bought BMW 7 series, as they were obscenely huge, to me. I always drove 3 and later 4 series, before my model 3. Got my wife a 5 series (she loved it, I hated driving it) Later got her an X5 (same deal, she loved it, I hated it). Eventually, even she decided "its too big", and she now has a X3.

Point of that rambling is, not only is the tech different, the driving experience will be different too. Maybe you just LIKE a bigger vehicle? Nothing wrong with that. If I was you, and coming from a current model S, I would answer "neither" and save some more and get a more late model used model S, because thats what it sounds like you REALLY want.

While lots of members here "forum surf" between more than one vehicle model subforum here, its not surprising that the model 3 subforum would say "get the model 3" (lol).

I find these two vehicles sufficiently different that they are in different classes. Its like saying "Do I buy a new BMW 3 series, or a used 7 series? They are different markets, to me. I never leased or bought BMW 7 series, as they were obscenely huge, to me. I always drove 3 and later 4 series, before my model 3. Got my wife a 5 series (she loved it, I hated driving it) Later got her an X5 (same deal, she loved it, I hated it). Eventually, even she decided "its too big", and she now has a X3.

Point of that rambling is, not only is the tech different, the driving experience will be different too. Maybe you just LIKE a bigger vehicle? Nothing wrong with that. If I was you, and coming from a current model S, I would answer "neither" and save some more and get a more late model used model S, because thats what it sounds like you REALLY want.
I was actually going to say something along the lines of if this was a 2020 model S the decision would be much harder. I do think with Tesla's technology is a huge part of the car. I'm trading in my 2017 model S for a M3P and part of that decision is because the technology in my 2017 is out of date MCU1 and AP2.5. Would cost me 3600 to update both of those. I will admit I will miss the hatchback on the model S but I will like driving the smaller model 3. But if the model S is truly what the OP wants (I agree with you that I think they do) they should try to get a later year model S. Maybe wait for used prices to come down also.

I was actually going to say something along the lines of if this was a 2020 model S the decision would be much harder. I do think with Tesla's technology is a huge part of the car. I'm trading in my 2017 model S for a M3P and part of that decision is because the technology in my 2017 is out of date MCU1 and AP2.5. Would cost me 3600 to update both of those. I will admit I will miss the hatchback on the model S but I will like driving the smaller model 3. But if the model S is truly what the OP wants (I agree with you that I think they do) they should try to get a later year model S. Maybe wait for used prices to come down also.
If money were no object, yeah I’d be buying a Model S long range when it comes out. But as much as I can I’m trying to compare what would be available in roughly the same price range. The Kelley blue book value on this 2014 model S is almost exactly the same as the 2021 Model S. Going newer in a model S will mean giving up some features and probably battery range. It may be worth it, but for a lot of the things that we have talked about being important here, newest technology most importantly, I think I really have to be looking at a 2018 or 2019. With prices being as crazy as they are, those are just not realistic possibilities for me.
if my read on this is wrong, I am happy to learn that!

Having traded in my 2014 (rare non-tech package! haha) S for a Long-Range 3 in 2018, I will just say be sure you are okay with a small car with a rough, I'm sorry, "sporty" ride compared to the S. I actually tell everyone to not bother with the 3 and get the Y because it does everything the 3 does and more at the cost of a paltry 30 miles of range. I'm probably going to trade in soon myself. I'm just tired of my older parents and non-skinny friends having a really hard time getting in/out of the car. (The S is also low, but the door opening is bigger.)

If you don't really care about the EAP/FSD stuff then that's a wash. But I think the other point made about aging components and warranty is a very good one. That one seems up to your own risk-aversion and financial situation (i.e. size of savings to "self-insure" against big repair bills).

My last reply was really to this one as well as the other one that it is linked to. and your read is correct, in a perfect world with all the money to spend, I’d be buying a new model S long range. but sadly, it is a factor and a 2020 right now it’s pretty much the same price as a 2021. To get a model S with comparable technology is twice as much. Not in the cards. So then you’re looking at going back to probably in 2017 or 2018. Then you were still leaving warranty pretty soon and also ultimately getting something lesser in terms of technology already. So I’m not sure I would look at that as being worth the extra price.

Having traded in my 2014 (rare non-tech package! haha) S for a Long-Range 3 in 2018, I will just say be sure you are okay with a small car with a rough, I'm sorry, "sporty" ride compared to the S. I actually tell everyone to not bother with the 3 and get the Y because it does everything the 3 does and more at the cost of a paltry 30 miles of range. I'm probably going to trade in soon myself. I'm just tired of my older parents and non-skinny friends having a really hard time getting in/out of the car. (The S is also low, but the door opening is bigger.)

If you don't really care about the EAP/FSD stuff then that's a wash. But I think the other point made about aging components and warranty is a very good one. That one seems up to your own risk-aversion and financial situation (i.e. size of savings to "self-insure" against big repair bills).
Thanks. I thought about the Model Y and test drove it but aside from writing slightly higher and being a little easier to get in and out of, I just didn’t see the value in the price difference between the two vehicles. Also I live in Massachusetts where I get a $2500 cash rebate if I buy something under $50,000 so the lowest model Y is really about 18k more than the 3 SR+.
do you feel like you notice a difference in comfort between the seats in the 2014 model S and the new model three?

If money were no object, yeah I’d be buying a Model S long range when it comes out. But as much as I can I’m trying to compare what would be available in roughly the same price range. The Kelley blue book value on this 2014 model S is almost exactly the same as the 2021 Model S. Going newer in a model S will mean giving up some features and probably battery range. It may be worth it, but for a lot of the things that we have talked about being important here, newest technology most importantly, I think I really have to be looking at a 2018 or 2019. With prices being as crazy as they are, those are just not realistic possibilities for me.
if my read on this is wrong, I am happy to learn that!
Really like the new model S interior. I don't know your car situation (if you need a car now or not). If you don't it may be worth the wait to get the car you really want. Guessing by early next year the chip shortage will hopefully be taken care of and used car prices will come down. I don't know how far you are from your service center but I would also drive a Model 3 and see how you like it. I was able to drive the performance and really liked the clean interior. Some don't like the single screen so somehing it is best you experience.

Really like the new model S interior. I don't know your car situation (if you need a car now or not). If you don't it may be worth the wait to get the car you really want. Guessing by early next year the chip shortage will hopefully be taken care of and used car prices will come down. I don't know how far you are from your service center but I would also drive a Model 3 and see how you like it. I was able to drive the performance and really liked the clean interior. Some don't like the single screen so somehing it is best you experience.
I genuinely like the Model 3 and am happy driving it. I’m definitely getting something soon so the choice right now is an older S or new 3 and hopefully in 2-3 years a new S will be in the cards.