Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D with "plus" suspension, rear facing jump seats (seats 7), free unlimited supercharging, MCU2, 52K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took the plunge on a new Model S Long Range (the discounts were too tempting), so it’s time to sell my beloved 2015 P85D+. I’m actually surprised at how sad (and almost regretful) I am writing this.

The P85D is arguably the best Model S that Tesla ever made, during a time when they were putting their focus on showing how great an EV can be instead of scaling and reducing costs.

It has every option available at the time, except the Ludicrous upgrade. Built in early 2015, it has the rare “plus” suspension with larger anti-roll bars and stiffer bushings which makes it handle like it’s on rails and feel super connected to the road.

Includes Enhanced autopilot with auto lane change and self parking. This is the single camera Mobileye version with front facing radar, which is rock solid for highway driving and traffic jams. No phantom braking, ever. And it has the very reliable USS for park assist and summon (yes, in 2015!).

Features and options include:

Grey Metallic Paint (same as Midnight Silver Metallic)
Light gray, genuine leather “Next Generation” seats
Obeche gloss wood interior
Alcantara headliner and dash
Panoramic moonroof that actually opens so you can feel the sun and wind in your hair (a long gone feature)
Plus suspension with stiffer shocks, 2mm thicker anti-roll bars, stiffer bushings (only offered on the P85+ and the P85D for the first few months)
19” alloy wheels
Rear facing seats - fits 5 adults + 2 kids!
Free, unlimited supercharging (for the life of the car)
MCU2 upgrade with Netflix, Youtube, etc.
Ultra high fidelity sound
Free premium connectivity
Insane mode with 0-60 in 3.1 seconds
Tech package wuth illuminated door handles, Xenon headlights, LED bend lighting, fog lights, power tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, homelink, seats & mirror driver profiles with memory
Winter package with heated front and rear seats, heated mirrors, heated steering wheel
Summer and winter floor mats
Spectra PhotoSync 55% tint (75% on the windshield)

52K miles.

Rated range based on extrapolation from 90% SOC is 239 miles.

Maintenance and upgrades:
  • Replaced 12V battery
  • Replaced all 4 door handle mechanisms
  • Replaced on-board charger
  • Upgraded EMMC / replaced daughterboard
  • MCU2 / Infotainment upgrade (computer + driver and center screens)
  • New Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS tires
  • Air filter replacement, AC service, brake caliper check and lubrication

Hand washed only, always parked in the garage. Charged to 80% less on a 14-50 NEMA. Supercharged only a handful of times on roadtrips.

Clean vehicle history / CarFax. Someone backed into the rear driver’s side corner last year in a parking lot, leaving a few dents. It was repaired at a top tier, Tesla certified body shop that services Teslas and high end exotics, and looks flawless / like new. Photos and documentation provided on request.

Free VIN Check Reports and VIN Check - Report Summary

A few scuffs here and there and some discoloration on the trunk cover (see photos), but overall the car is in nearly perfect shape. It looks great, is solid all around, and is super fun to drive.

Photos:

Hoping to find someone who can appreciate the rarity of this car and will take care of it.

UPDATE - Cars and Bids auction is live:

Last edited:
First time using C&B, on the final step now. Anything I should know about?

Yes! I just listed a car with C&B a month ago and at the very last step before you agree to have them list the car is a little blurb that basically says that if you are selling with a reserve price, and the final bidding falls short of the reserve, they retain the right to mark the car as sold and make up the difference between the final bid and your reserve price.

So for me, they only agreed to a reserve price $2k below my actual reserved price, which was annoying, but I agreed to it. Actual FMV was about $4k above the C&B defined reserve price.

So by selling the car below the (lowered) reserve (instead of at or above the defined reserve price), it took away the option of me selling the car elsewhere or at BAT for market price, which was $4k ABOVE their reserve price. I wasn't happy about that at all. Yes, I'd still get the (lower) reserve price, but it adds another possibility of being obligated to selling the car through C&B (i.e. if it doesn't actually hit the reserve price). Had I known this additional stipulation ahead of time, I would never have agreed to it. But I had already spent more than a week taking hundreds of photographs, uploading, and tweaking the listing and I was confident it would sell for over the C&B reserve price.

Luckily, bidding did not reach the point where the could make up the difference and still make their 4.5% commission. When that happens, they offer the buyer the same price but a 2.5% commission. Basically, they'll do everything they can to make their commission. Yes, the seller gets the C&B defined reserved price they agreed to, but I found it really shady to spring this at the VERY LAST MOMENT before listing a car, and it totally changes the logic/dynamic of selling at a reserve price.

Last edited:
Yes! I just listed a car with C&B a month ago and at the very last step before you agree to have them list the car is a little blurb that basically says that if you are selling with a reserve price, and the final bidding falls short of the reserve, they retain the right to mark the car as sold and make up the difference between the final bid and your reserve price.

So for me, they only agreed to a reserve price $2k below my actual reserved price, which was annoying, but I agreed to it. Actual FMV was about $4k above the C&B defined reserve price.

So by selling the car below the (lowered) reserve (instead of at or above the defined reserve price), it took away the option of me selling the car elsewhere or at BAT for market price, which was $4k ABOVE their reserve price. I wasn't happy about that at all. Yes, I'd still get the (lower) reserve price, but it adds another possibility of being obligated to selling the car through C&B (i.e. if it doesn't actually hit the reserve price). Had I known this additional stipulation ahead of time, I would never have agreed to it. But I had already spent more than a week taking hundreds of photographs, uploading, and tweaking the listing and I was confident it would sell for over the C&B reserve price.

Luckily, bidding did not reach the point where the could make up the difference and still make their 4.5% commission. When that happens, they offer the buyer the same price but a 2.5% commission. Basically, they'll do everything they can to make their commission. Yes, the seller gets the C&B defined reserved price they agreed to, but I found it really shady to spring this at the VERY LAST MOMENT before listing a car, and it totally changes the logic/dynamic of selling at a reserve price.
Thanks for sharing that. As of right now I'm planning on a no reserve auction, so this wouldn't be relevant. But good to know how they deal with this kind of situation.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Reading this makes me angry that a company would do such low blow tricks, it reminds me of yesterday's experience at the dealer buying a new Audi - such low sales tactics trying to squeeze the customer (I know how to fight that off, but it takes time and mental effort to not overpay by a few grand - I always hated that aspect of buying from dealers). At the same time it makes me glad I've been too busy lately to try to sell my last Tesla on my own - traded it last night in instead, captured some sales tax credit on it. Probably could have made 1-4K selling it privately, but with Elon waging price wars the used Tesla market seems somewhat volatile. I sold my favorite Tesla, a 2015 P85DL, earlier this year, got a little lucky that one of the dealers I shopped my car to refused to even make an offer on my car because the company which owned his dealership just bought over 200 used Teslas at auction, from Tesla (it was when Elon drastically lowered the 3/Y prices, triggering a bunch of Tesla owners to trade their cars in), so I quickly went back to the highest bidder to sell my car before the flood of auction cars came in. I was right, the dealer which bought my P85DL sat on it for almost 4 months, ended up discounting it almost to (or below) what they paid me for it (cash buy, no trade). Yea, they could have marketed it better (e.g. never mentioned that the car had ludicrous, or 80A chargers, or aftermarket radar/laser countermeasures, or aftermarket dashcams, etc all the while they let the battery/drive-unit warranty expire while on their lot), but that is actually quite common in the used car industry, and the prices are usually set by average sale prices,

PS> Over a decade, 4 brand new Model S'es, I just sold the last one last night. My wife was actually quite keen on upgrading from 2018 Model S to a 2023 Model X (twice we almost bought one), but one test drive eliminated it as a choice - it felt so cheap material wise (compared to a 2018 Model S), and the yoke experience is something she still talks about - hated it. I still have some friends and relatives, like my parents and in-laws, who bought Teslas on my recommendation, so I will still check-in on this forum from time to time, but it really does feel like a conclusion to a large chapter of my life. I know one thing I will not be doing anymore, hacking Teslas - I've moved onto hacking Porsche and Audi ;)

Last edited:
@danp, I noticed you're selling all your Teslas. What are you replacing them with?
I was mostly testing the waters with the 2022 MS after I bought it as I had some regrets about letting go of the P85D+. But I started to like the 2022 much more after swapping the yoke for the steering wheel - it's such a huge difference in drive-ability and overall feel of the car. Still a bunch of things I'll miss about the P85D, but at this point I've accepted letting go. 🤣

I was mostly testing the waters with the 2022 MS after I bought it as I had some regrets about letting go of the P85D+. But I started to like the 2022 much more after swapping the yoke for the steering wheel - it's such a huge difference in drive-ability and overall feel of the car. Still a bunch of things I'll miss about the P85D, but at this point I've accepted letting go. 🤣
I eventually test drove the Plaid. I would not have swapped my P85DL+. The Plaid I drove had the yoke, which I hated, and I don't think a rounded yoke (still no stalks, all touch controls) would have made a difference. Even just the materials on the P85DL also felt more luxurious (seats, steering wheel, overall feel). My wife had a similar reaction last week when she considered switching from her 2018 MS to a new MX. Given a ton of people love their Teslas (including my parents and inlaws), I just concluded that we are no longer Tesla's target market. They're going after mass market (think Honda, Toyota, Ford, Kia, Hyundai).