Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016.5 Model S 90D, FSD, MCU2, All Options, 68k miles, $48.5k - Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently (meaning within the past two months) purchased this used Model S directly from Tesla - it has another 22 months/32k of factory warranty left. This is a facelifted model, and already has the Autopilot 3.0 hardware installed. I've realized this vehicle just doesn't fit me - a Model 3 actually fits me much better (I'm tall with a long torso). Totally my fault for not realizing this earlier, since I know I'm probably going to take a bath on the vehicle now. The vehicle is the phantom gray metallic exterior, black leather interior with dark ash wood, 19-inch silver slipstream wheels, brand new Michelin X-Ice winter tires (I also have the Goodyear RS-A2s with ~70% tread). Options:

Smart Air Suspension
Panoramic Sunroof
Sub-Zero Weather Package
Ultra-high Fidelity Sound System
Next-Generation Seats
Bioweapon Defense Mode
Alcantara Headliner/Dash trim
Free Lifetime Unlimited Premium Connectivity

I had the MCU2 installed less than a month ago, anticipating keeping the vehicle for awhile (same thing with putting the tires on). The vehicle also had a new windshield put in at the time of purchase by Tesla (they found a chip in the windshield the car was delivered to me with). I'll put up pictures shortly, but the vehicle is in outstanding cosmetic condition, inside and out. It just doesn't seem to quite fit me. There is currently a loan on the vehicle, but I haven't found that to be an issue selling vehicles myself before. The vehicle is in Colorado Springs, CO, and the mileage will be climbing slightly as I continue to drive it. Wonderful vehicle overall, it just doesn't quite fit me. My loss is someone else's gain!

UPDATE: I noticed a few things the SC messed up when doing the MCU replacement. Specifically, the snapped a piece of the wood trim in half, and tried to glue it back together. They also slightly bent the corner of the chrome dash trim, which just slightly obscures the top right portion of the screen. I've also noticed a humming coming from the left speaker that's inside the hatch. Bottom line, I'm going to have the local SC fix everything like that before I sell it. Also, I haven't even gotten the registration paperwork yet, and I'm not sure how I can actually sell something with temp tags when the registration/title paperwork is still on the way to me.

Bottom line, thanks for the interest, and I'll update this post as soon as my local SC fixes every single thing wrong or off with the vehicle, and I have a title I can actually give a buyer! I may also get the vehicle professionally detailed in the interim, and I'll take photos after I do that.

UPDATE: I noticed a few things the SC messed up when doing the MCU replacement. Specifically, the snapped a piece of the wood trim in half, and tried to glue it back together. They also slightly bent the corner of the chrome dash trim, which just slightly obscures the top right portion of the screen. I've also noticed a humming coming from the left speaker that's inside the hatch. Bottom line, I'm going to have the local SC fix everything like that before I sell it. Also, I haven't even gotten the registration paperwork yet, and I'm not sure how I can actually sell something with temp tags when the registration/title paperwork is still on the way to me.

Bottom line, thanks for the interest, and I'll update this post as soon as my local SC fixes every single thing wrong or off with the vehicle, and I have a title I can actually give a buyer! I may also get the vehicle professionally detailed in the interim, and I'll take photos after I do that.
Snapped dash pieces superglued in an attempt to trick the customer? Sounds like a typical Tesla transaction unfortunately.

When you say "my local" I assume you mean one of the three nightmare factories in the Denver area, right? The rumor is that the one that's actually down in your 'hood (New Motor City location) will be opened within weeks. Might be worth just waiting it out if you can and get some fresh eyes/hands/minds on it. From the sounds of it, they're going to train that staff with the same inept staff from the Denver area locations though just like they did the new Superior location so I guess I wouldn't hold me breath for a significantly better experience if I were you.

Oh, to answer your question... you can sell a car you haven't yet registered. There's a pretty simple contract you can present to the buyer that guarantees a clean title free of encumbrances as soon as you're able to deliver. Just know that some buyers may balk at this but it wouldn't be the first time it's been done. If the deal is right and you seem trustworthy the buyer will be more likely to be onboard since ultimately it kind of comes down to the "feeling" that they get on if this transaction is legitimate or not.

Edit: I forgot this was a for sale thread when I got the email notification of your most recent post so I apologize for the slightly off-topic banter. If you'd rather I deleted this just let me know quickly before the forum no longer allows me to edit my post.

Snapped dash pieces superglued in an attempt to trick the customer? Sounds like a typical Tesla transaction unfortunately.

When you say "my local" I assume you mean one of the three nightmare factories in the Denver area, right? The rumor is that the one that's actually down in your 'hood (New Motor City location) will be opened within weeks. Might be worth just waiting it out if you can and get some fresh eyes/hands/minds on it. From the sounds of it, they're going to train that staff with the same inept staff from the Denver area locations though just like they did the new Superior location so I guess I wouldn't hold me breath for a significantly better experience if I were you.

Oh, to answer your question... you can sell a car you haven't yet registered. There's a pretty simple contract you can present to the buyer that guarantees a clean title free of encumbrances as soon as you're able to deliver. Just know that some buyers may balk at this but it wouldn't be the first time it's been done. If the deal is right and you seem trustworthy the buyer will be more likely to be onboard since ultimately it kind of comes down to the "feeling" that they get on if this transaction is legitimate or not.

Edit: I forgot this was a for sale thread when I got the email notification of your most recent post so I apologize for the slightly off-topic banter. If you'd rather I deleted this just let me know quickly before the forum no longer allows me to edit my post.

I wish you were wrong...but you're dead on. I have an appointment with the mobile rangers tomorrow to come out and try to fix a few of those issues, and then what they don't fix I expect to probably wait to have the new Colorado Springs service center work on. Appointments for the Littleton SC are a few weeks out anyway. At least all of my issues are directly traceable to that MCU2 replacement, and it still has the warranty, so it should be pretty straight-ahead. I hope.

Thanks for the tip on the sale without registration/title. I'm actually an attorney myself, but figured most buyers (like you mentioned) would be very gun shy about buying a vehicle that way. I'm also kicking around buying a brand new Model 3, and waits are looking like 5-9 weeks for that anyway. Let's hope the Tesla paperwork machine can get it together so I can at least register it and get a title to convey to future buyer!

I wish you were wrong...but you're dead on. I have an appointment with the mobile rangers tomorrow to come out and try to fix a few of those issues, and then what they don't fix I expect to probably wait to have the new Colorado Springs service center work on. Appointments for the Littleton SC are a few weeks out anyway. At least all of my issues are directly traceable to that MCU2 replacement, and it still has the warranty, so it should be pretty straight-ahead. I hope.

Thanks for the tip on the sale without registration/title. I'm actually an attorney myself, but figured most buyers (like you mentioned) would be very gun shy about buying a vehicle that way. I'm also kicking around buying a brand new Model 3, and waits are looking like 5-9 weeks for that anyway. Let's hope the Tesla paperwork machine can get it together so I can at least register it and get a title to convey to future buyer!

I hope for your sake they get it worked out sooner than later. We had three different title work nightmares through Tesla. One of which took 6 MONTHS to get us our paperwork. The DMV wouldn't even give us temp tags anymore and our car sat in the garage for several months due to not being able to be driven legally for reasons out of our control. Tesla was useless in trying to rectify their problem. We had another take two months but that was nothing compared to the one that took half of a year. Entirely unacceptable & inexcusable.

Here are some photos - you can see the cracked wood piece on the left of the center screen, and the slightly misaligned top right corner of the center screen chrome trim. Otherwise, it's an excellent condition vehicle - and forgive the child seat in the back, driver seat in the front. I also forgot I've installed the Tesla wireless charger for the center console.
IMG_0033.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    796.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: bkp_duke
Manufacture date was 11/16, so not quite sure why it was sold as a "2016." Seems as much a 2017 as anything, but still. If anyone needs any other information, just let me know!

So apparently in the past Tesla's were named only by their manufacturer year. So even if it were made on December 31st, 2016 it was still a 2016.

Sometime in the last one to two years I believe this changed. They now switch over the "model year" in September or October, like every other car manufacturer.

This was news to me, as I had asked this exact question a few weeks ago on a different forum, And this was the answer provided.

Set for service to have all of the nagging little things fixed under warranty on 24 November 2020 at the Littleton Service Center in Denver. I also should have a clean title in hand for the sale (the paperwork came via FedEx to me today). If anyone wants more photos, just let me know - it would be nice to get this sold so I can order a Model 3!

Set for service to have all of the nagging little things fixed under warranty on 24 November 2020 at the Littleton Service Center in Denver. I also should have a clean title in hand for the sale (the paperwork came via FedEx to me today). If anyone wants more photos, just let me know - it would be nice to get this sold so I can order a Model 3!
The Colorado Springs Service Center should be open by then but I guess you don't want to try rescheduling your appointment for that location.

Vehicle is coming out of service this coming week with all the issues resolved, and I received all the relevant registration documents and have an opportunity to get that taken care of this week also. I also placed my order for a new Model 3, and I have a backup beater to drive if someone were to purchase this early. Anyone who is still interested, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Vehicle is out of service with a brand new set of wood on the dash, every little thing I could figure out to complain about fixed, and is ready for sale! I'll be cross-posting this on onlyusedteslas.com and will hopefully have more (and better) photos soon. Send me any questions you have to the e-mail above.