Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 90D, New Nose, Lifetime Supercharging - $72,500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't true. The CPO program never has covered cosmetic issues and the warranty is quite descriptive on what is considered normal cosmetic wear and tear. CPO never meant they were going to fix all of your cosmetic issues and was more like an extension of the bumper-to-bumper warranty of a new car in many ways. You have a door handle fail to present within the CPO warranty period? Tesla is going to fix that under warranty at no cost to you. It's a mechanical warranty outside of the drive-train warranty. How people come up with this crap and start spouting it off as fact on these forums is beyond me.

I think you mistook my meaning. Under the defunct CPO program, Tesla fixed cosmetic issues like, for example, scratches larger than 3/8". In addition, when a CPO vehicle was delivered, you could inspect it and make sure it met the standard before signing off. This is documented in numerous posts on this forum. Some forum members (myself included) even had success getting Tesla to fix cosmetic issues that were present at delivery but that we did not notice until later. Under the current "used" car program, Tesla apparently does not fix cosmetic problems upfront as demonstrated by the numerous cars currently listed on their web site that have paint gashes, holes in the bumper, protruding trim, pieces missing, etc. (There is one 90D on Tesla's site now whose rear bumper lower trim difuser has fallen off and is being stowed in the trunk.) This has two important effects. First, it means that the supply of cars in very good or excellent (like OP's car) condition is constrained--unless you are willing to fix one up yourself after buying it. Second, for people who did not live in California or a few other select areas where there are a lot of Teslas, it means that we are practically shut out of buying used from Tesla unless we want to spend our weekends flying around the country to inspect vehicles in person.

In any case, I apologize profusely to the OP for distracting from his posting. Perhaps an admin could move all of the comments out of this thread.

Actually, you're spreading misinformation. I just called Tesla. The free supercharging does not follow the car if sold . Call for yourself before responding .
You're wrong. Full stop. Whomever you called at Tesla is also wrong.

This guy is selling a Model S which was manufactured before January of 2017 so it absolutely has free unlimited supercharging for life of the car that not only transfers to any owner but does so w/o any extra steps or effort. This is a fact and I can't figure out a way to try to sugar coat it since you appear ready to die on the cross of this guy's car not having this feature. It does. Period.

There's no other way to explain it so any posts you make to the contrary are wrong and distracting from this guy's sale thread by planting seeds of doubt by those who aren't sure to begin with. For sale threads are NOT the proper place for these sorts of discussions for exactly that reason so if you insist on continuing to be wrong do so in another thread because it's distracting to this guy's sale thread. This isn't the place for it.

I think you mistook my meaning. Under the defunct CPO program, Tesla fixed cosmetic issues like, for example, scratches larger than 3/8". In addition, when a CPO vehicle was delivered, you could inspect it and make sure it met the standard before signing off. This is documented in numerous posts on this forum. Some forum members (myself included) even had success getting Tesla to fix cosmetic issues that were present at delivery but that we did not notice until later. Under the current "used" car program, Tesla apparently does not fix cosmetic problems upfront as demonstrated by the numerous cars currently listed on their web site that have paint gashes, holes in the bumper, protruding trim, pieces missing, etc. (There is one 90D on Tesla's site now whose rear bumper lower trim difuser has fallen off and is being stowed in the trunk.) This has two important effects. First, it means that the supply of cars in very good or excellent (like OP's car) condition is constrained--unless you are willing to fix one up yourself after buying it. Second, for people who did not live in California or a few other select areas where there are a lot of Teslas, it means that we are practically shut out of buying used from Tesla unless we want to spend our weekends flying around the country to inspect vehicles in person.

In any case, I apologize profusely to the OP for distracting from his posting. Perhaps an admin could move all of the comments out of this thread.

What you described has nothing to do with the CPO program. This is just called buying a used car. A used Tesla, as with any other car, will have issues and it's up to the buyer to decide if they want to accept it as-is or not. If not, they can try to negotiate the repair of said cosmetic issues with the seller prior to purchase. Anything agreed to, in writing, can be fixed as per the agreement. Anything NOT in writing before the time of purchase that is cosmetic that Tesla agrees to fix later is purely out of good-will and has nothing to do with the CPO program. This has NOTHING to do with the CPO program nor was it spelled out as such at any point. The CPO program remains today exactly as it did a year or two ago. Claiming it went away or is somehow different is simply incorrect.

The CPO program is strictly to address warranty items that are covered under the terms of the warranty much like if you bought a brand new car since they would come out-of-pocket w/o a CPO warranty. A good example is the door handles. If you have a car with 90k on it that doesn't have a CPO warranty on it and they fail you will have to pay out-of-pocket for the repair if you have Tesla do it. With a CPO warranty this repair done by Tesla is covered by the CPO warranty so you don't pay for the service.

A lot of misinformation being spread on a dude's for sale thread. I think that removing the posts would only serve to further confuse those interested in the seller's car who already saw the previous posts. At this point I think the clarification posts need to remain just to make sure people fully understand what was brought up since they apply to the seller's vehicle now.

This forum really does need better rules in place for their for sale section. It's incredibly uncivilized and the rudeness towards sellers is rampant and the likes if which I don't see at other forums.

Reactions: Lucent
What you described has nothing to do with the CPO program. This is just called buying a used car. A used Tesla, as with any other car, will have issues and it's up to the buyer to decide if they want to accept it as-is or not. If not, they can try to negotiate the repair of said cosmetic issues with the seller prior to purchase. Anything agreed to, in writing, can be fixed as per the agreement. Anything NOT in writing before the time of purchase that is cosmetic that Tesla agrees to fix later is purely out of good-will and has nothing to do with the CPO program. This has NOTHING to do with the CPO program nor was it spelled out as such at any point. The CPO program remains today exactly as it did a year or two ago. Claiming it went away or is somehow different is simply incorrect.
This is a strange cross for you to choose to die on. Here is an article about the change: UPDATE: Tesla Changes CPO Program - Cars Mechanically Inspected. This is not just one article--it is confirmed in numerous threads on this forum and others, and in language on Tesla's web site.

This is a strange cross for you to choose to die on. Here is an article about the change: UPDATE: Tesla Changes CPO Program - Cars Mechanically Inspected. This is not just one article--it is confirmed in numerous threads on this forum and others, and in language on Tesla's web site.
Did you even read the article you linked to? This is about how they are reconditioned PRIOR to listing versus after the deposit is received. It has nothing to do with them not including a 2-year warranty for mechanical issues which is verified in the article you linked. Exactly as I said. CPO was never about fixing cosmetic issues you found after the sale as you stated previously. The only change is that they used to wait to inspect/refurbish until AFTER they had a deposit from a prospective buyer but this was taking too long for them to take delivery and was measured in weeks and in some cases months. Now they do the 70-point inspection prior to listing it and once it's listed it's basically ready to be picked up. The 2-year warranty for mechanical issues that would be covered under a new car warranty is still in place exactly as it was before: for mechanical warranty repairs.

The car looks great. Yes, Tesla discontinued the CPO program and now only sells "used." That means they will no longer fix cosmetic problems with the cars, which makes buying one sight unseen difficult.

I just went through the buying process. To correct the comment above. Tesla will not fix any undisclosed damage that are visible through the pictures. I just got my 85d 2015 in 9 days. The pictures look flawless minus a tiny speck rock chip to the front bumper. Upon receiving, I noticed a index finger scratch to the rear bumper. They reviewed the pictures and notice that damage was not there. My appt is set for this Tuesday for them to fix it. Overall, my car is in very very good condition. My overall coordination process was really bad (read my step by step 85d under buying), but again, the condition came out very very good. So for the used buyers, what I noticed, just be aware of pictures after the rims/wheels. Those will display the flaws. Mines only had the rock nick picture that clearly showed the flaw.

I just went through the buying process. To correct the comment above. Tesla will not fix any undisclosed damage that are visible through the pictures. I just got my 85d 2015 in 9 days. The pictures look flawless minus a tiny speck rock chip to the front bumper. Upon receiving, I noticed a index finger scratch to the rear bumper. They reviewed the pictures and notice that damage was not there. My appt is set for this Tuesday for them to fix it. Overall, my car is in very very good condition. My overall coordination process was really bad (read my step by step 85d under buying), but again, the condition came out very very good. So for the used buyers, what I noticed, just be aware of pictures after the rims/wheels. Those will display the flaws. Mines only had the rock nick picture that clearly showed the flaw.
It’s nice that you were able to find a good condition car, but that is a far cry from the previous CPO program in which Tesla restored all the cars it sold to very good condition, thus giving us a lot of options to choose from. I don’t think there are any corrections being offered.