Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 pre-refresh, upgraded to MCU2, lost "passive entry"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can use the FOB buttons to unlock the car, frunk, or trunk anytime. I'm unaware of any options to disable this ability, although you can have it only unlock the driver's door when pressing the center button (the trunk/frunk buttons still work in this mode).

Yes, you can use the FOB buttons to unlock the car, frunk, or trunk anytime. I'm unaware of any options to disable this ability, although you can have it only unlock the driver's door when pressing the center button (the trunk/frunk buttons still work in this mode).

I am aware of the key fob buttons working. I meant passive entry detecting my key fob and allowing me to unlock the car and open the trunk when I press the car's trunk button not the key fob trunk button.

Long story short, upgraded to MCU2, now passive entry (even though it's there and I can toggle it) is not working. I am forced to use the key fobs.
Tesla claims the upgrade has nothing to do with it, yet they can't tell me what's wrong with my car. This has got to be the poorest customer/tech support ever.
3 visits to SC with same response always. "We reviewed your case and came to conclusion that the service we did is not what caused this." and they still can't tell me what's wrong with the car. I don't want to leave the cart and get charged hours and hours of diagnostic with no solution afterwards.

Any advise? They won't let me get MCU1 back, I am stuck with no "passive entry"
I had this issue and I already found out the problem. Do you need help?

I had this issue and I already found out the problem. Do you need help?

They fixed it where I get close to any of the sides or front of the car, but the trunk is still not recognizing my keyfob. Taking the car back August for them to check. They said an antenna went bad, after I told them to check everything is connected.

What was your solution? Would you mind sharing so we can have more info on this?

I might have missed it, but have you tried replacing the FOB battery? As the battery gets weak, I've found the detection distance gets shorter.

I've had a hard time locating real CR2330 batteries for the newer FOB. Most are low-quality counterfeits that last less than a month (even though they are printed as being Panasonic on the battery). If the packaging is generic and unbranded it's likely a counterfeit or used even if "sealed".

They fixed it where I get close to any of the sides or front of the car, but the trunk is still not recognizing my keyfob. Taking the car back August for them to check. They said an antenna went bad, after I told them to check everything is connected.

What was your solution? Would you mind sharing so we can have more info on this?
I had a broken wire on the driver door. I posted a thread where I explained what happened but long story short, I checked the software options, changed the antennas and finally ended up founding out the broken wire. It’s the big red one on the picture

Attachments

• IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: hose
Does the Model S without assisted opening unlock/open if I have the key fob in my hand? I always walked up to it and I am assuming the passive entry unlocked the car allowing me to open the trunk, but when I checked the manual it says that I can unlock the car (just like the front door handles do) when I press the trunk unlock button and I have my key fob on me. Any ideas? Or can someone confirm this should work with any Model S regardless of trunk assisted opening?
Long story short, upgraded to MCU2, now passive entry (even though it's there and I can toggle it) is not working. I am forced to use the key fobs.
Tesla claims the upgrade has nothing to do with it, yet they can't tell me what's wrong with my car. This has got to be the poorest customer/tech support ever.
3 visits to SC with same response always. "We reviewed your case and came to conclusion that the service we did is not what caused this." and they still can't tell me what's wrong with the car. I don't want to leave the cart and get charged hours and hours of diagnostic with no solution afterwards.

Any advise? They won't let me get MCU1 back, I am stuck with no "passive entry"
I had the same problem after the upgrade. If you're still having this problem, here is the fix that worked for us.

The central interior section of the roof, between the front and rear doors, has a plug that was disconnected. The tech who did the upgrade simply forgot to connect this cable.

Specifically, the soft set connector relating to the ultra high frequency system was disconnected. This was affecting the key fob range and communication with the charger wand.

Once reconnected, everything worked as expected.

Last edited:
I had the same problem after the upgrade. If you're still having this problem, here is the fix that worked for us.

The central interior section of the roof, between the front and rear doors, has a plug that was disconnected. The tech who did the upgrade simply forgot to connect this cable.

Specifically, the soft set connector relating to the ultra high frequency system was disconnected. This was affecting the key fob range and communication with the charger wand.

Once reconnected, everything worked as expected.
Is this in that "bar" section that hangs down between the glass panels? How do you get access to this plug?

I had exactly the same issue after the upgrade… apparently totally unrelated! Do you fix those with a but sink connector?
I had a broken wire on the driver door. I posted a thread where I explained what happened but long story short, I checked the software options, changed the antennas and finally ended up founding out the broken wire. It’s the big red one on the picture
y