Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 pre-refresh, upgraded to MCU2, lost "passive entry"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, upgraded to MCU2, now passive entry (even though it's there and I can toggle it) is not working. I am forced to use the key fobs.
Tesla claims the upgrade has nothing to do with it, yet they can't tell me what's wrong with my car. This has got to be the poorest customer/tech support ever.
3 visits to SC with same response always. "We reviewed your case and came to conclusion that the service we did is not what caused this." and they still can't tell me what's wrong with the car. I don't want to leave the cart and get charged hours and hours of diagnostic with no solution afterwards.

Any advise? They won't let me get MCU1 back, I am stuck with no "passive entry"

To be clear, when you say passive entry, do you mean the automatic unlocking when your FOB gets near the car? Otherwise, do the FOBs work normally? My MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit had no issues with automatic unlocking/locking.

Things to check:
1) Conform in Controls -> Locks, that the options are set the way you want. You might try turning options off, then on anyway.
2) Reboot the MCU
3) Install a new FOB battery.

To be clear, when you say passive entry, do you mean the automatic unlocking when your FOB gets near the car? Otherwise, do the FOBs work normally? My MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit had no issues with automatic unlocking/locking.

Things to check:
1) Conform in Controls -> Locks, that the options are set the way you want. You might try turning options off, then on anyway.
2) Reboot the MCU
3) Install a new FOB battery.

Yes. It no longer present my door handles. And all but the passenger front door handle unlocks the car. Same issues reported previously by others, but they weren't from the MCU upgrade, mine is. Tried all those. The toggles, the reboot and new batteries.

The Service Center needs to update something on Tesla's side, security certificates or something. Give them a call. It's a pretty quick fix.

This was common early on, and happened with my MCU2 upgrade. You would think they would have this down by now.

Well, not sure why, but the SC I went to have no clue, they keep telling me I have to replace the 3 door handles (driver front, and both rear) when it was all working perfectly fine before the upgrade. Who do I need to call that can help this SC I am taking my car to? Apparently they still do not know how to perform a successful MCU2 upgrade...

Well, not sure why, but the SC I went to have no clue, they keep telling me I have to replace the 3 door handles (driver front, and both rear) when it was all working perfectly fine before the upgrade. Who do I need to call that can help this SC I am taking my car to? Apparently they still do not know how to perform a successful MCU2 upgrade...
This is what I wrote 3/1/2021:
MCU1->MCU2 upgrades require some kind of security registration on Tesla's part. Otherwise you can't unlock or start the car. SC's can be sloppy about doing this. Anyone with this problem should contact Tesla to get it fixed. It does not require a mobile or SC visit to fix.

I think my problem was only with using the Tesla app to unlock and start the car. I'm pretty sure the fob was operating normally, including unlock and start without pushing a button. Asking your SC, or trying another, about fixing the cars "security registration" on their end after an MCU2 upgrade might point them in the right direction. If your app unlocks and starts the car then this is not your problem.

I never heard of any problems with the fob or door handles after an MCU2 upgrade, so that's all I've got.

Have you checked the antennas on the side dash ( both left and right) ?

Because if you remove any of them , you won't get any error on the dash. You should check them both . Maybe it's disconnected.

Or find a guy with a Model S and replace them with his . It's minimum work .

Worth trying...

Have you checked the antennas on the side dash ( both left and right) ?

Because if you remove any of them , you won't get any error on the dash. You should check them both . Maybe it's disconnected.

Or find a guy with a Model S and replace them with his . It's minimum work .

Worth trying...

I did nothing. I only dropped car off at a Tesla SC and was returned with inoperable Passive Entry. I am not going to touch anything for them to use as excuse to not fix what they broke or service my car again (blacklist)

Do the other handles ”present” when using the fob? If so, I can’t believe they SC would say your handles need to be replaced.

I did nothing. I only dropped car off at a Tesla SC and was returned with inoperable Passive Entry. I am not going to touch anything for them to use as excuse to not fix what they broke or service my car again (blacklist)
When they replaced the MC , they for sure removed the side panels. And I bet they forgot to re-join the sensors

Do it yourself. It's very very easy.

Look at the first seconds of the clip. Check if the antennas are connected.The antennas are right on the panels. No warranty void...

What we think and what they think are 2 completely different things. I have asked to talk to the SC manager face to face and I have yet been able to do so.

And OF COURSE we have no support or comment/hotline available. Just the app.
I prefer communication in the app so that everything is recorded. I would write in the app that if my handles work with the fob, how would they need replacement?

I uploaded (to sc email) 4 videos of each door handle being pressed and presenting, that should be enough proof. I did not approve the door handle replacements, they just quoted them, but I am not agreeing to replace them. My visit is on a Sunday because I am waiting for the car, not leaving it. Every time I leave it, it sits in a lot for 2+ days until they get to it.

I just went today to Tesla SC and they fixed the issue. I will never know what was wrong, but at this point I don't care. They said that free of charge as courtesy they were going to replace antenna (even though it looked physically ok) and 10 mins later they came and said everything was done, so I got in my car and left. Last time I take my car to this SC... I'm sure it was not a bad antenna and to avoid drama they came up with that excuse? Or maybe it was, but went bad during the install? Since you can't see what they do, I will not fall in judgement and just be content with my working car again. Now I can move on and keep fixing my car the way I want it.

I just went today to Tesla SC and they fixed the issue. I will never know what was wrong, but at this point I don't care. They said that free of charge as courtesy they were going to replace antenna (even though it looked physically ok) and 10 mins later they came and said everything was done, so I got in my car and left. Last time I take my car to this SC... I'm sure it was not a bad antenna and to avoid drama they came up with that excuse? Or maybe it was, but went bad during the install? Since you can't see what they do, I will not fall in judgement and just be content with my working car again. Now I can move on and keep fixing my car the way I want it.

Does the Model S without assisted opening unlock/open if I have the key fob in my hand? I always walked up to it and I am assuming the passive entry unlocked the car allowing me to open the trunk, but when I checked the manual it says that I can unlock the car (just like the front door handles do) when I press the trunk unlock button and I have my key fob on me. Any ideas? Or can someone confirm this should work with any Model S regardless of trunk assisted opening?