Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 vs 2020 - help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 p90d and am contemplating getting a new one, I’ll add in my 2 cents. I live in a state with average supercharger is 150-180 miles apart.
That is a killer and I know what you are talking about. I only have this scenario once a year (uphill, 150 miles, against the wind and snowing). I have pre heated the battery, charged to 100% just before leaving, turned range mode on and turned cabin heat down to 60F along with seat heaters all to make it at 8%. I also will often draft a semi for the first 100 miles (the uphill portion) until I see my arrival SoC get above 10% and then stop drafting, start to turn on stuff and increase my speed locking in 10%.

Seems stupid to have to do this with a $100k+ car.

But again for me it's only once a year. If I had to do this regularly I would definitely opt for something with more range.

I feel like all brand new car is gonna drive smooth. After a little wear and tear ( also known as break-in period) on the suspension parts, it'll drive similar to all the used X.

Maybe its just me.
If that’s true, that’s a sad indictment of Tesla build quality. My previous Porsche at 80K had the sand ride as when I bought it - air suspension too

Personally I would get a 2016 X unless you need the range. Ride quality wise, even a 2016 X is probably going to be better than a Y because of air suspension vs coil suspension. You also get tons of bells and whistles like self opening/closing doors, FWD, panoramic windshield etc. You can even upgrade to HW3.0/MCU2 later making the software point kind of moot. The big thing is range though, if you need more than 200 miles it probably won't work.

Backs of the seats are not shiny (super easy to scratch) plastic anymore, Falcon doors now have sensors on the inside so they don't close on you if you're standing under it, there's new contraption in the front doors to help break them free if they get frozen, which is relatively common in the winter. Redesigned interior falcon door buttons that are easier to use, or at least more obvious for people who are not familiar with the X.

All those changes are present in our 2017 75D X.

If you need the range the newer Ravens are fab, but here in the UK in 6 seater spec with FSD its not far off £100k.

Our 75D X is worth £50k on the used market, I have FSD on the 75D and will be getting the MCU2.

So paying a net £47k (after MCU2 retrofit cost) for extra range we will use barely once a year is crazy.