Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion on Model X LR vs Model Y Performance buying

Model X LR or Model Y Performance (Both red and bright interior)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted a justifiable suggestion. My requirement is only 5 seater and I can afford both and I am not qualified for tax credit (300k cap.) but at the same time doesn't want to throw away money as my lifestyle started in a humble beginning 10 years back but now grown to good position. I now wanted to upgrade myself from my Hyundai Santa Fe to affordable Luxury like Lexus RX kind of luxury as I see both Model X and RX in the same league in some parameters.

My comparative and brief analysis:
After looking into new price reduction comparing Model X long range vs Model Y performance red on both bright and cream interior(58k vs 81k after referral). Is model X still good value when compared against model Y in following issues:
1. Build quality for the price and by volume they are producing. Model Y could be better as it is produced in volume.
2. Performance - both are similar range compared against weight of the car.
3. Battery 40 miles approx higher in model x due to higher capacity battery pack.
4. Insurance.
5. Monthly loan payment. ($750 vs $1200), difference of 450 per month.
6. Complexity involved with Model X over Model Y.
7. Repair cost.
8. Other Advantage and disadvantage over each other.
9. Accessories.
10. 8 - 10 yrs of ownership experience
11. Comfort.

If I put approx cost for the extras in model x I come down to this from Model Y Performance:
1. Fancy Falcon wing, auto close door and soft close 2.5k
2. Second screen 0.5k, main bigger screen 0.5k = 1k.
3. Air suspension - 3k
4. Extra range - 2k
5. Bigger space - 2k
6. Cooled seat - 0.5k
7. Others if I miss any - 1k
Total = 12.5k if I put that over Model Y performance still I see a difference of about 10k between Model Y and X after taking out extra. Is Model X still worth it. Not to be penny pincher but thinking out loud.

Now let the suggestion/rants/comments begins. I'll take it.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Currently we have 2 model 3's and just placed an order on the LR Model X. We did consider the Model Y but it's just too similar to the model 3 except for the size. We test drove the X and felt that it was a very different experience. Wider; higher. The Falcon Wing Doors are nice and fun. We wanted something different, so the X was an easy choice.
In our case, by buying the LR, we would qualify for the tax credit; otherwise, it would have been a harder choice between the LR and Plaid.

Last edited:
Currently we have 2 model 3's and just placed an order on the LR Model X. We did consider the Model Y but it's just too similar to the model 3 except for the size. We test drove the X and felt that it was a very different experience. Wider; higher. The Falcon Wing Doors are nice and fun. We wanted something different, so the X was an easy choice.
In our case, by buying the LR, we would qualify for the tax credit; otherwise, it would have been a harder choice between the LR and Plaid.
Agree with your point. I too test drive both and feels like model y is souped up sedan and model x truly felt like suv and since you are moving from 3 you may find it same with model y but in my case I am going from ice car to electric.
Regarding tax credit net net both models have tax credit so whether you get it or not the difference in $ value is same as I mentioned above. I do not want plaid as it comes with 6 seater and I have a phev mini van that can serve that purpose.

Do you have a business that can do 179 on the X? If you buy through the business there is no income phase out on the $7500 rebate and with the 179 deduction I think the X is the clear winner on post tax price so long as it doesn’t turn out to be a lemon. This is my big concern as I know a lot of people who have had issues over the years with falcon wing doors, shudder, suspension issues, rattles, wind noise. The current Y seems pretty solid and I have more confidence it will run for longer with fewer little maintenance issues

Do you have a business that can do 179 on the X? If you buy through the business there is no income phase out on the $7500 rebate and with the 179 deduction I think the X is the clear winner on post tax price so long as it doesn’t turn out to be a lemon. This is my big concern as I know a lot of people who have had issues over the years with falcon wing doors, shudder, suspension issues, rattles, wind noise. The current Y seems pretty solid and I have more confidence it will run for longer with fewer little maintenance issues
Unfortunately I don't own business but thanks for the info.

If I got MYP I would go back to 19” wheels. Just for the ride. And add enhanced autopilot. That adds $$$$.

Both are a big change from the Santa Fe. They Y just us a more efficient design and I think it is the better built vehicle. If you will trade it in in 5 years I don’t think it matters, X or Y. If you drive 20k+miles a year the Y, and it’s more simple design is a better choice IMO. I’m driving an almost 7 year old MX P100d for 18 month, now with 37k miles. It’s ok. A friend got a new Y same time. I’m a bit envious. Probably because the service center is 2.5 hours away. If it was closer probably not so much.

Really these are not comparable vehicles. The X is luxury the Y is not IMO. The doors are cool but smack me once a week.

So I’m going to go out on a limb and say MY 19” with good tires and autopilot.

Reactions: El joe
Don’t forget Homelink Included $400,, Tow Package included $1,000, any color included ($1k to $2k compared to Y costs), and add in any value to XM Radio if you use that.

We just had our Y bought back as a lemon,, it was a nobrainer, esp with the tax credit now to just upgrade to the X. I had Homelink installed in our 3, and we don’t go with basic white/grey, and we need the towing, so the minimal difference, and the better interior/build quality made it a huge win.

Don’t forget Homelink Included $400,, Tow Package included $1,000, any color included ($1k to $2k compared to Y costs), and add in any value to XM Radio if you use that.

We just had our Y bought back as a lemon,, it was a nobrainer, esp with the tax credit now to just upgrade to the X. I had Homelink installed in our 3, and we don’t go with basic white/grey, and we need the towing, so the minimal difference, and the better interior/build quality made it a huge win.
Yes I have included as others if I missed anything as $1000. Also I compared again Model Y red to Model X red. As I said the difference is between 5k to 10k after deducting all the extras so that is why I asked the forum to justify the buy.
Everyone who is replying here is making that point and also poll also suggests the same.
Added on top this thread can also serve as a decision making between Model Y to X with good analysis.
Thanks for your input.

Model X is the better car if you don't need performance for the bang, which the Y performance is.

I had 2 Model X before my current 3rd one ('16 90D, '21 dual motor, 22' MXP), the 22 redesign is way better in build quality. Car is more quiet. Air suspension ride is better than Y.

for the 6-seat configuration (which my Plaid is only available in), you can just leave the 3rd down all the time. 2nd row captains chair is good (some like it, some don't). I happen to like it for its roominess and storage under seats. Our kids are off to college, so I don't really need fold flat space for all 3 rows. Except for the few times I need to big some big screen TV, then I regret not having fold flat seats anymore.

The extra center cluster display in front of steering wheel/yoke is a plus for me, plus the huge curved windshield. Lots of views when doing road trips.

Too bad you don't have a business, otherwise the 179 write-off is huge win for X.

The power closing doors are also cool. you don't realized it till I switch over to my 3 or Taycan, press brake to go, door won't close. I know, 1st world problems.

It's very quiet on the 22 redesign. ANC headrest speakers are also a plus for the X. The simple front dash design I like better in the X vs the Y (more subjective of course).

Not that saving money is not a good thing, but for the difference, I would go X. Get it in that Ultra Red, so nice. Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong with the Y P or the LR X as your first starter EV.

I think the X compares well to the Lexus, I would not be able to drive ICE cars anymore. Tesla has ruined ICE for me. Complete EV household now. You just need more than 1 Tesla, just in case one is in the service center. :)

-ThinkMac-

Model X is the better car if you don't need performance for the bang, which the Y performance is.

I had 2 Model X before my current 3rd one ('16 90D, '21 dual motor, 22' MXP), the 22 redesign is way better in build quality. Car is more quiet. Air suspension ride is better than Y.

for the 6-seat configuration (which my Plaid is only available in), you can just leave the 3rd down all the time. 2nd row captains chair is good (some like it, some don't). I happen to like it for its roominess and storage under seats. Our kids are off to college, so I don't really need fold flat space for all 3 rows. Except for the few times I need to big some big screen TV, then I regret not having fold flat seats anymore.

The extra center cluster display in front of steering wheel/yoke is a plus for me, plus the huge curved windshield. Lots of views when doing road trips.

Too bad you don't have a business, otherwise the 179 write-off is huge win for X.

The power closing doors are also cool. you don't realized it till I switch over to my 3 or Taycan, press brake to go, door won't close. I know, 1st world problems.

It's very quiet on the 22 redesign. ANC headrest speakers are also a plus for the X. The simple front dash design I like better in the X vs the Y (more subjective of course).

Not that saving money is not a good thing, but for the difference, I would go X. Get it in that Ultra Red, so nice. Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong with the Y P or the LR X as your first starter EV.

I think the X compares well to the Lexus, I would not be able to drive ICE cars anymore. Tesla has ruined ICE for me. Complete EV household now. You just need more than 1 Tesla, just in case one is in the service center. :)

-ThinkMac-
Thanks this is very thorough reply, didn't expect that. I see your point and I also see the same and see like the total difference after deducting extras are only about 5k - 8k and going to Model X will give all in options and no regrets.

Thanks for all the input I put an order for Model X. I talked to one of the friend who own Model Y, he bought it during the time when it was selling for 70k and he said Y cost to value is worst even if it costs 50k and he recommended buying Model X is best as this is the best deal.
I also did comparative price comparison. I saw this Model X end of 2017ish in the showroom, a 75D model sold at that time for about 80K with Autopilot included and if I am getting this at the same rate of 2017 then I cannot expect anything less.

• Love
As a 5+ year Model 3 owner, the Y has always just felt like nothing more than a big brother, stretched 3 with seats on risers.

Drove a new LR X after the price drops and ordered one the next day....totally different class of vehicle and worth the extra cost IMO. Just waiting on my VIN now!

Use the comparison tool here to see all the nitty gritty..... HUGE differences in hardware and options.

As a 5+ year Model 3 owner, the Y has always just felt like nothing more than a big brother, stretched 3 with seats on risers.

Drove a new LR X after the price drops and ordered one the next day....totally different class of vehicle and worth the extra cost IMO. Just waiting on my VIN now!

Use the comparison tool here to see all the nitty gritty..... HUGE differences in hardware and options.

Yah that pretty much sums it up once you have a X its tuff to rock the 3/y I ended up selling my 3 with zero regrets. X 2016, 2018, 23/24 on order.