Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parents haven't been using their 2017 Model S so we're trying to figure out what to do with it - options are either to keep it, or trade in for a 3 or Y later this year. I was heavily in the camp of keeping it and driving it until the wheels fell off, but I've been giving the Y some more thought recently as we'll need an SUV at some point.

Some detail on the car:
2017 Model S 75
55k miles, unlimited supercharging, enhanced autopilot

After using the trial on our 2023 Model 3, I really want to have FSD. The S is my primary car and my understanding right as of now is that an FSD upgrade would be $2k (as we already have EAP). Tesla is also recommending we spend $2k on the infotainment upgrade which I'm not looking forward to. My other concern is the battery itself - 1) the range - 220 miles at full charge, and 180 miles at 80% - I have a short commute so its okay but not great. 2) its just been driven 55k miles but we purchased it at the end of 2017 and so I've got ~1.5 years of warranty remaining.

So I guess the first question is, do I really need to spend on the infotainment upgrade to be able to use FSD? From there its just a matter of whether I should spend the $4k or trade in/sell for $20k (Tesla offer of $20k, Carvana offered $19.5k) and put some more money toward a used Y

You can find several threads where people with cars of the vintage as your 2017 Model S with MCU1 and purchased FSD are quite frustrated that the full functionality has not been provided to them even though Tesla stressed these cars at time of purchase were/would be fully capable. While many feel Tesla should upgrade the MCU at no cost to honor that statement, the reality seems to be a consistent statement/position by Tesla that you need to pay for the MCU upgrade out of pocket.

Personally, the only way I'd consider purchasing FSD for this 2017 Model S is if it was during a period when Tesla was offering the ability to transfer FSD to the purchase of a new car (like they are now). You buy FSD and then immediately order a new Model S/Y or other of your choice, then an elect the FSD transfer option. I'd forego the MCU upgrade, realize you really won't have benefits of the FSD on the 2017 S, but end up getting FSD for the new car for just the cost of the $2000 FSD purchase on the Model S.

You also mention having unlimited supercharging on the Model S, but it's a late 2017. I'm expecting from that combination of statements that the car has the unlimited supercharging for just the first owner of the car. If it were the SC01 transferrable unlimited supercharging the optimum would be to hit a window like around the first of this year where you could transfer both the supercharging and FSD capability, but don't think that would ever be an option for supercharging transfer of your Model S.

Good luck on your decision process.

We had a used 2013 Model S for four years, then bought a 2023 Model Y, dual motor, long range, with tow package. The Model Y meets all our needs, has more range, has higher ground clearance so is easier to get into and out of, is AWD, and can tow our utility trailer (when we need a "pickup truck"). The hatchback allows hauling a lot inside with the seats down. Overall, a much more useful vehicle than the Model S, for our needs.

You also mention having unlimited supercharging on the Model S, but it's a late 2017. I'm expecting from that combination of statements that the car has the unlimited supercharging for just the first owner of the car. If it were the SC01 transferrable unlimited supercharging the optimum would be to hit a window like around the first of this year where you could transfer both the supercharging and FSD capability, but don't think that would ever be an option for supercharging transfer of your Model S.
it WAS an option for both SC01 and SC05 when Tesla offered transfers
best option would be to wait for such offer again IF free SC is important otherwise you'll lose it
there is a rumor that if u leave the car in the account n just give it up to next owner (so the car doesn't move in the app) Free SC might stay
some say it works some say it doesn't but it might be an incentive to next buyer

there is a rumor that if u leave the car in the account n just give it up to next owner (so the car doesn't move in the app) Free SC might stay
some say it works some say it doesn't but it might be an incentive to next buyer
While that might work, I also believe it likely constitutes fraud. I know I've seen claims by others of doing this, but no knowledge whether Tesla chose to take action if/when they became aware of the ownership transfer (via something like a service visit).