Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in 2017 Model S for a Y

Trade in 2017 S for 2023 Y

• Yes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Model S and I am wondering with the FSD transfer and the tax credit, if I should trade that in and get the model Y. My car is out of warranty and right now Tesla has offered an estimated $20k based off of my vin. I was thinking of doing the MCU upgrade but now with the FSD transfer and tax credit I am leaning towards the Y. Any advice is appreciated !

Ouch. How many miles? You car has battery and motor 8 years unlimited miles correct? Plus unlimited supercharging assuming you are first owner.

I have an 2017. No way I would let it go for 20k. Yet understand why one might consider it. Have you figured on a price outside of trading it in? Might help in decision.

Ouch. How many miles? You car has battery and motor 8 years unlimited miles correct? Plus unlimited supercharging assuming you are first owner.

I have an 2017. No way I would let it go for 20k. Yet understand why one might consider it. Have you figured on a price outside of trading it in? Might help in decision.
I am currently at 66k miles so not too bad and yes that’s correct. I was referring to the bumper to bumper warranty. I am the first owner so I do still have free unlimited supercharging which is nice but my concern is that also both of my front daytime running lights are burned out (common issue) and from the forums it looks to be around 1200 each headlight. I’m thinking that plus the mcu upgrade I’m already at 5k so everything has been tempting. I also love the Bluetooth key feature and premium sound system on the new Teslas which is something I don’t have.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I wouldn’t. I have a 2016 S and my wife has a 2022 Y performance. Love the Y. Tech is great and car is super fast. But, i prefer my S all day. S is spacious and it’s more luxurious inside. Also, my car is paid off while we have payments on the Y.

I’m assuming yours is paid off. Just fix the headlights and upgrade to MCU2. It will feel like a brand new car without the payments.

I had a 2012 S and sold for 35k with 150k miles on it

I only got a Y cause my wife wouldn't drive the S too flashy she said and too low to the ground I still miss it though

The Y is better in the snow but that's cause I have AWD now

Is yours a 75D? The S drives better but I actually prefer the simplified and horizontal screen orientation

Reactions: pilotSteve
Always wanted the S
Purchased the Y performance
Regret for not getting the S
Always wanted the S and most likely always will
I totally agree purchased MYP 10/2022 I hated it and paid almost premium

Bumps bobble hard suspension I could not believe why I paid 62k for this crap

Found 2021 refresh with FSD and 3k miles red and cream walnut paid $70k 04/2023

Sold MYP $47k took a loss gain on MS with FSD I Feel in ended up with a better deal

I absolutely love the MS so soft smooth 21inch wheels fully loaded honestly best car I owned zero regrets

Yes once you have MS I don’t think I can ever go back

Now with potential for transfer for both FSD and FUSC I find myself pondering this question. Today it's a 2017 MS100 with 90k miles in good condition. Love this car mostly trouble free and have MCU2/AP3.

I've never driven a MY/M3. Test drive this week. Does a MY feel like a Corolla compared to a '17 MS? An extended warranty might be a better option.

Now with potential for transfer for both FSD and FUSC I find myself pondering this question. Today it's a 2017 MS100 with 90k miles in good condition. Love this car mostly trouble free and have MCU2/AP3.

I've never driven a MY/M3. Test drive this week. Does a MY feel like a Corolla compared to a '17 MS? An extended warranty might be a better option.

I'm in the same situation with my 2017 MS75D. Also have MCU/AP3/camera upgrade. Just did the CCS retrofit a couple weeks ago too. There's really nothing "wrong" with it besides the smaller battery and slower charging speeds. 2017 was a good year for Model S vehicles.

I'm leaning towards waiting as I think these FUSC and FSD transfer offers will be more common going forward if not a permanent policy. I was looking at the Y or X but both just seem kinda "meh" with relatively older designs.

My battery/drive unit warranty still has 1.5 years left so I'll probably hold off in hopes something new (Y/X refresh) comes along before that expires.

Where do you guys see the both FSD and FUSC offer? I stopped by the sales office a few days before new year while doing a service. The sales manager was adamant that the FUSC transfer would be the last chance. I just walked away from him laughing.

In my opinion you won't be happy with the Y or 3, The suspension is much rougher and no gauge cluster. I know everything is dependent on price most of the time, but would you be open to a new refresh S or X? or even a slightly used x or s? coming from an S that's prob more up your alley

Reactions: KArnold
I recommend renting a Y. I would hate for you to get mesmerized by the shiny new object and regret it later. I too thought that i wanted a Y, but then i had the opportunity of driving one for a few days while my car was at the service center. The only thing i like about the Y over the S is the seating position, that's about it. Suspension wasnt as good as the air suspension on the S, and i just love the lines of the S overall.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
In my opinion you won't be happy with the Y or 3

Test drove a '24 MY yesterday. I really wanted to love the car but honestly I hated it. As others here have said, it felt VERY noisy and the suspension was terrible compared to my '17 MS. Even driving manually on the interstate I felt very UN-planted on the road. That was my first opportunity to drive a different Tesla ever.

They also had a new MS which I also test drove - it felt significantly better. But also not unlike the car I drove in with.

2017 was a good year for Model S vehicles.

I'm sold on my '17. It can do everything from an FSD perspective (so far) that a new model can do (minor feature exceptions). It lacks the interior camera which is fine with me. It has very smooth and adjustable air suspension. Everything works and it is paid for. It can still do a very quick 0-60 time of just over 3 seconds. While the new MS was good, it was not appreciably better than my '17 and in some ways worse (soft buttons instead of physical levers). It's a unicorn perhaps but gawd I really love this car. More than likely when my 8-year HV battery goes out of warranty next year I'll simply get an extended warranty just in case - still much cheaper than a new MS. IMHO, between the '17 MS, '24 MY, and '24 MS the best of my personal survey is the '17. I have 85k miles now and hope to double that in the coming years.

I may be getting picky as I age as well. In my life I've been able to travel internationally only 5 times. I saved on credit card points and flew business class the last 3 times. Despite the cost, it's well worth it and can't imagine doing that in economy ever again. That's how the MY v. MS felt to me. Life is too short for this compromise.

Of course, just my $.02. I appreciate the feedback.

Test drove a '24 MY yesterday. I really wanted to love the car but honestly I hated it. As others here have said, it felt VERY noisy and the suspension was terrible compared to my '17 MS. Even driving manually on the interstate I felt very UN-planted on the road. That was my first opportunity to drive a different Tesla ever.

They also had a new MS which I also test drove - it felt significantly better. But also not unlike the car I drove in with.

I'm sold on my '17. It can do everything from an FSD perspective (so far) that a new model can do (minor feature exceptions). It lacks the interior camera which is fine with me. It has very smooth and adjustable air suspension. Everything works and it is paid for. It can still do a very quick 0-60 time of just over 3 seconds. While the new MS was good, it was not appreciably better than my '17 and in some ways worse (soft buttons instead of physical levers). It's a unicorn perhaps but gawd I really love this car. More than likely when my 8-year HV battery goes out of warranty next year I'll simply get an extended warranty just in case - still much cheaper than a new MS. IMHO, between the '17 MS, '24 MY, and '24 MS the best of my personal survey is the '17. I have 85k miles now and hope to double that in the coming years.

I may be getting picky as I age as well. In my life I've been able to travel internationally only 5 times. I saved on credit card points and flew business class the last 3 times. Despite the cost, it's well worth it and can't imagine doing that in economy ever again. That's how the MY v. MS felt to me. Life is too short for this compromise.

Of course, just my $.02. I appreciate the feedback.
i mainly went from S to Y (with MPP lift and 29.5" tires) to get the extra ground clearance for snow plus when one of those air suspension goes out of warranty there goes 2k