Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S Auto Pilot Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im looking at a 2017 Tesla Model S 100D online. I can't get the dealer to take a pic of the auto pilot screen. What version computer should a 2017 year model S have ?

When I bought my 2017 Model X which should be applicable to S as well, Autopilot was not standard. You got to pay to get it. It was not called plain Autopilot at that time because the plain one was with only 1 camera, so with the newly released version of 8 cameras, it's called EAP Enhanced Autopilot.

Your 2017 Model S should be able to be upgraded to FSD with Hardware 2 computer, MCU2, and new 2.5 or later cameras.

2017 in the UK was when it switched from AP2 to AP2.5, I don't think there is any way to tell the difference from the outside as the cameras were the same. If it has Sentry mode it is AP2.5, otherwise as stated you can pay to upgrade to MCU2 and AP3 with the existing cameras.

This may help Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

2017 should be AP2. It would have come with the older computer and probably older side cameras unless it was a late-2017 build. If you purchased the FSD upgrade (which is the only reason to care what it has) it would be updated to HW3 and the newer cameras and be effectively the same as a 2022 car in terms of AP hardware. You would also likely want to consider the MCU2 upgrade, which is the infotainment computer. Technically not part of autopilot, but more important for quality of life and seems to be needed for the current beta version of FSD (so you can see the updated visuals). They are not doing this upgrade for free even if you buy FSD, so I would guess they will either find a way for the production version of FSD to not bother with visuals on an MCU1 car, or cave and start providing the MCU upgrade as well to FSD-owners.