Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S or 2018 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across a Model S 2017 75D for 21k (after 4k EV credit). It has 80k miles, FSD, FUSC (SC01 verified), FUPC, MC2, HW3, Uncorked, and good condition. Only issue is it's a buyback title due to MCU parts shortage back in 2019.

Alternatively, I came across a Model 3 2018 LR AWD for 20k (after 4k tax credit). It has 26k miles, FSD, good condition, clean title with one minor accident but repaired.

Between these 2 cars, what would you get and why?

Only issue is it's a buyback title due to
This is like saying "the car is a buyback title but it was only a little damage" or some such thing. For me, there is no such thing as a "minor buyback title". Its a non starter for me.

There also is no credence in "minor accident but repaired". Thats like saying " The miles in this car were all from 2 older people driving it to church and back" or something. "minor accident but repaired" still = accident, and no guarantee if "minor" actually means an accident for 1k damage, or an accident for 25k damage.

Putting that aside for a minute (because I would never buy a buyback title car myself, so the model S with a buyback title is a complete non starter for me) lets pretend there was no buyback title.

These two cars are very different. Its like asking someone if they would buy a BMW 7 series or a 3 series. Different size vehicles, not anywhere near the same driving experience. Drive new versions of them (model s and 3) then decide which one you like better, and look for those.

Were it me, I'd go for the Model 3. Unless you need the interior room the S provides, I think that a 3 is easier to maneuver. The 3 has much lower mileage and therefore longer warranty left, along with a (probably) longer range. As long as the minor accident was repaired properly, then I think that's the way to go.

On the other hand, if you have a lead foot and really need the acceleration, then maybe the S is for you.

The OP cross posted this exact thread in both the model S and model 3 subforums. They are new here so they dont know we dont allow cross posting like that, so im going to let it slide this time.

With that being said, ignoring the fact that they are looking at 2 different cars with damage, the almost certain outcome of doing this is the model 3 subforum is going to say "model 3" and the model s subforum is going to say "model s", and the vehicles are different enough from a driving perspective that the OP needs to figure out what size vehicle they want first.