Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Tesla Model S P100DL+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to get sellers to list for rational prices. I have a vested interest that I would like to buy a used Model X. Every single time one of these BS threads is posted, someone lists on eBay, onlyusedteslas, ect at prices equal to or higher than used, it perpetuates the cycle. Now since there is a crap ton of overpriced listings, new sellers use them as justification of their overpriced listing.

How does it break common decency to let a seller know their used car is the same price as a brand new car. The vast majority of people do not follow the wild Tesla prices changes on a daily basis like most interested buyers. Majority that purchased a year or two ago at $150k have absoultly no idea that their same car is now 104k. Really they should have done a little bit of due dillagence and checked Teslas website, but most instead check NADA/KBB/ebay/TMC/ect to look for comparable listings. But if all comparable used listings are also at the same price as a new car, then it keeps the same broken cycle going. Something has to change, and pussyfooting around the issue isnt going to do anything.

You cannot make a legitimate offer to a seller who thinks their used car is worth more than a new car. If you offer 10%-20% less than a brand new car, the sell will call you a low-baller. I have 10+ examples of this. Expecting a used car to be priced with some depreciation off the price of a brand new car is not low-balling, it is f*cking common sense. I am surprised this even has to be explained to you.

The converse of that also holds true and that is that if you every single for sale post is ridiculed as to their justification for not listing it for 50% less eventually the used value on these vehicles will plummet. So your reasoning for badgering sellers on the front end is completely a wash on the back-end when it comes time to list or trade-in yourself making your reason invalid. Not being a rude prick supersedes your reasoning for that which is strictly prohibited on most other vehicle forums. If you truly are "helping" them you can send them a PM to inform them of any opinion you think is valid on their listing price.

I assure you, there is nothing about new or used car buying or selling that you can educate me on. This has nothing to do with that.

The converse of that also holds true and that is that if you every single for sale post is ridiculed as to their justification for not listing it for 50% less eventually the used value on these vehicles will plummet. So your reasoning for badgering sellers on the front end is completely a wash on the back-end when it comes time to list or trade-in yourself making your reason invalid. Not being a rude prick supersedes your reasoning for that which is strictly prohibited on most other vehicle forums. If you truly are "helping" them you can send them a PM to inform them of any opinion you think is valid on their listing price.

I assure you, there is nothing about new or used car buying or selling that you can educate me on. This has nothing to do with that.
No the reverse is not true in the least bit. Not once has anyone ever said it should be 50% less or even close. That is a massive hyperbole and appealing to extremes is a common logical fallacy used by people who lack the ability to have a debate based on facts.
Appeal to Extremes

If you read any of the other used listings, you'd see 10-15% per year is the most commonly cited depreciation rate in all the For Sale threads here. The industry standard is 20% for the first year and 10-15% for every year after that BTW. If you personally feel that depreciation does not apply to Tesla's, then well I guess you'd fit in fine with the majority to sellers. It would not become a "wash on the back end" because I do actually understand how depreciation works and recognize that my used car will be less valuable than a new car.

You seem to feel personally attacked by facts and logic but telling someone that a brand new car is less than their 2 year old used car does not constitute "being a rude prick".

No the reverse is not true in the least bit. Not once has anyone ever said it should be 50% less or even close. That is a massive hyperbole and appealing to extremes is a common logical fallacy used by people who lack the ability to have a debate based on facts.
Appeal to Extremes

If you read any of the other used listings, you'd see 10-15% per year is the most commonly cited depreciation rate in all the For Sale threads here. The industry standard is 20% for the first year and 10-15% for every year after that BTW. If you personally feel that depreciation does not apply to Tesla's, then well I guess you'd fit in fine with the majority to sellers. It would not become a "wash on the back end" because I do actually understand how depreciation works and recognize that my used car will be less valuable than a new car.

You seem to feel personally attacked by facts and logic but telling someone that a brand new car is less than their 2 year old used car does not constitute "being a rude prick".

This from the person who doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion. Okay.

This from the person who doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion. Okay.
FACT: This used 2017 P100DL is listed for $99,995
FACT: A brand new 2019 P100DL with same built, longer range, improved battery, and upgraded suspenion is $99,315.
FACT: This 2 year old car is listed HIGHER than a brand new improved car.
OPINION: You are annoying.
FACT: You use hyperbolas in your claims, rather than factual information.

FACT: This used 2017 P100DL is listed for $99,995
FACT: A brand new 2019 P100DL with same built, longer range, improved battery, and upgraded suspenion is $99,315.
FACT: This 2 year old car is listed HIGHER than a brand new improved car.
OPINION: You are annoying.
FACT: You use hyperbolas in your claims, rather than factual information.

Fact: You don't know the difference between hyperbole and hyperbola
Opinon: YOU think HE should list his sale price lower for HIS car.

Fact: You don't know the difference between hyperbole and hyperbola
Opinon: YOU think HE should list his sale price lower for HIS car.
I apologize for my autocorrect. Please see previous comment for correct spelling. When you can't use logic, go grammar-nazi right?

Yes it is my option that his 2 year old USED car should be priced less than a BRAND NEW car. I see we have differing opinions, which is why you are part of the problem on this forum.

I apologize for my autocorrect. Please see previous comment for correct spelling. When you can't use logic, go grammar-nazi right?

Yes it is my option that his 2 year old USED car should be priced less than a BRAND NEW car. I see we have differing opinions, which is why you are part of the problem on this forum.
If you didn't feel the need to thread crap on other people's for sale threads with your opinion (I assume you meant opinion and not "option" there... sure would hate to be a "thread Nazi" as you put it) we wouldn't be having this conversation. This is a recurring theme from a select few on this forum that don't seem to possess decency or manners.

• Love
Reactions: Daddy S
If you didn't feel the need to thread crap on other people's for sale threads with your opinion (I assume you meant opinion and not "option" there... sure would hate to be a "thread Nazi" as you put it) we wouldn't be having this conversation. This is a recurring theme from a select few on this forum that don't seem to possess decency or manners.
The really sad part is that you don't even see the irony here. You've now gone on a multi-post diatribe in someone's sales thread, instead of just PMing the individuals you disagree with. The same time youre criticizing people for not PMing when they disagree with pricing. I wish you would express a little bit of decency here and not clutter the thread with your useless opinions.

The real question here is what are you even doing in the sale threads all the time? The vast majority of people here commenting on prices are all actively looking to purchase a car. Why are you white knighting for all the sellers that have their used cars listed for more than a new car? I think the easy fix here is for you just to go away.

Facts are facts.
Maybe the seller doesnt know the current market and with a little knowledge he will adjust the price accordingly.
Some people just dont know what current market conditions are at the moment.
Agreed and if that was truly their motivation they'd PM the seller. Instead, they're rude about it and then they all gang up on the seller and bully them if the seller tries to justify their asking price in any way. There's simply no need for this sort of thing to occur on this forum and why it's not expressly prohibited like every other vehicle forum is beyond me. They wouldn't like it done to them and yet here they are, crapping on for sale threads. You'd think that people could just be decent to each other in light of not being told they had to and yet here we are....

The really sad part is that you don't even see the irony here. You've now gone on a multi-post diatribe in someone's sales thread, instead of just PMing the individuals you disagree with. The same time youre criticizing people for not PMing when they disagree with pricing. I wish you would express a little bit of decency here and not clutter the thread with your useless opinions.

The real question here is what are you even doing in the sale threads all the time? The vast majority of people here commenting on prices are all actively looking to purchase a car. Why are you white knighting for all the sellers that have their used cars listed for more than a new car? I think the easy fix here is for you just to go away.
You wish I would express a little bit of decency here when people continually thread crap on other's for sale threads. That's rich.

Isn’t it fun having this guy around. Guarantee he has no life.....
And has no intention (means?) of buying... I think he claims that he’s on the market for X, but is actively participating in every FS thread... I was in touch with the mods, they’re aware of the situation here, which is unheard of on any forums I was on... But for reasons I can’t understand, they’re not getting involved...
All it takes, to ban, even temporarily, few price experts here and the civility will be restored.
And guess what, even without their deep knowledge and invaluable advice on the Tesla used car values, this cars will be sold at the market prices... or won’t be sold. The fact that they never take it to PM, speaks for itself about their real intentions

Last edited: