Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 x 100d Trailer mode missing from Driving SEttings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - buying a 2017 x100D (out of warranty) where seller has full blown hitch package installed. He showed me the wiring harness etc and it has the 2 inch receiver installed. He said he paid a fair bit for this add-on so assumed it wasn't standard in 2017. Then in the manual it states there should be a "trailer mode" in the Driving Controls section but i see nothing there - not even a grayed out option. Has the latest firmware and everything else seems to check out. Any ideas?

upload_2020-11-22_21-40-33.png
upload_2020-11-22_21-44-43.png

upload_2020-11-22_21-38-11.png

Hi - buying a 2017 x100D (out of warranty) where seller has full blown hitch package installed. He showed me the wiring harness etc and it has the 2 inch receiver installed. He said he paid a fair bit for this add-on so assumed it wasn't standard in 2017. Then in the manual it states there should be a "trailer mode" in the Driving Controls section but i see nothing there - not even a grayed out option. Has the latest firmware and everything else seems to check out. Any ideas?

View attachment 610993
View attachment 610996

View attachment 610991
Is it an aftermarket hitch? That could explain it.

No pretty sure it was the Tesla one. I can’t even see the wiring receptacle up under the plastic cover (see pic).

should trailer mode be present in the menu? How do I confirm if he did buy the right package- would it be a separate line item on 2017 X 100D? He has premium package too

Incase he didn’t properly order it - what would be cost to add from SC? Worried about pulling a boat without trailer mode. If have seen other threads say the option only appears once u plug-in a trailer wire harness but that seems bizarre incase u r towing something without harness.

Incase he didn’t properly order it - what would be cost to add from SC? Worried about pulling a boat without trailer mode. If have seen other threads say the option only appears once u plug-in a trailer wire harness but that seems bizarre incase u r towing something without harness.
SC will not activate anything if it’s an aftermarket unit. Start there first.

It should be listed as an option on the build sheet. You could also set up a service appointment through the app to find out and potentially have it enabled.

Good advice - I haven’t been able to get build sheet yet but will ask before finalizing deal. Assuming he paid for upgrade but they forgot to turn on software I assume the SC would enable even of out of warranty?

checked under car and the wiring harness/plug is there too.

Good advice - I haven’t been able to get build sheet yet but will ask before finalizing deal. Assuming he paid for upgrade but they forgot to turn on software I assume the SC would enable even of out of warranty?

checked under car and the wiring harness/plug is there too.
Almost everything is “maybe” when dealing with Tesla.

if it is a factory option, they should enable it for you.