Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 75D home charging circuit breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would check the wire and see what gauge it is. Is the outlet you installed capable of high draw? It may have worked in the beginning but 3 years of use could have worn something down.

I looked at your photos and that outlet is designed for 50 amps so we should be good on that. Next check the wire gauge. If the size is right, it has to be the breaker (assuming the tesla charger is not bad).

I'm leaning towards a fault in the installation before we blame the Tesla charger. It's hard to pinpoint without all the details

Last edited:
I would check the wire and see what gauge it is. Is the outlet you installed capable of high draw? It may have worked in the beginning but 3 years of use could have worn something down.

I looked at your photos and that outlet is designed for 50 amps so we should be good on that. Next check the wire gauge. If the size is right, it has to be the breaker (assuming the tesla charger is not bad).

I'm leaning towards a fault in the installation before we blame the Tesla charger. It's hard to pinpoint without all the details

I would lean more towards faulty install except it has worked without flaw for three years then the 1st time I use gen 2 charge and new Tesla the mc fails...

I would lean more towards faulty install except it has worked without flaw for three years then the 1st time I use gen 2 charge and new Tesla the mc fails...
Another test is, do you have any friends with Teslas where you could test the new Gen2 UMC in their car? It could be the combination. Or test their UMC in your car. It's one or the other. (Well, it could be both, but good grief...) The socket has been used for years, as you say. Be very strange for it not to take a lower load.