Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Universal Wall Charger And Mobile Charger On The Same Circuit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Main things to follow:
1. ALL CABLE RUNS ARE DIRECT POINT-TO-POINT.

2 BREAKER TO WALL CONNECTOR. NOTHING IN BETWEEN.

3. NO J BOXES, BUGS, PLUGS, RECEPTACLES, ETC.

4. ALL CONNECTIONS PROPERLY TORQUED TO SPEC.

5 USE Dielectric Grease SPARINGLY.

That's it.

Im not an electrician, and learned most of what I know about electricity from stuff around here on TMC. When I hired my electrician to add my 2nd wall connector (gen 2 in a power share setup), I seem to remember the electrician telling me there was also a limit on the number of bends in the conduit.

I could be mis remembering that though... am I?

FWIW, this electrician was the same one who installed my Powerwalls, and happened to be a Teaching electrician who worked for Tesla. Like I say, I could be mis remembering that conversation.

Yep, we did MC in our garage too. 6/3 to a small sub panel, and from there 6/2 to two Tesla wall connectors.

Depending on how much power OP wants to each EV while charging concurrently, he can consider taking down the 14-50 receptacle and using that circuit for an MLO sub-panel. Then two wall connectors that power share can come out of the sub-panel.

As for the ampacity of #4 wire, it differs by Cu Vs Alu, and Romex Vs conductors in conduit. OP's photo looks like conduit, if correct the ampacity is 85 Amps if Cu, 75 Amps for Alu. Note that the 90C column is unlikely to be used because the terminations are unlikely to both be 90C

Useful tip: if an MLO is installed (I would) and PV is in your future, than size the MLO for that addition now

More info: reading from p. # 30 in the wall connector installation manual

Last edited:
electrician telling me there was also a limit on the number of bends in the conduit.

Not bends per se, but no more than 360 degrees of bends. If you have more than 180 degrees though, you better upside the conduit or you will suffer greatly, and perhaps damage the wire along the way from the effort involved to get it through. One way to handle convoluted paths is with conduit bodies or j-boxes. Two 45 degree bends is much easier to pull through than one 90 degree

And so long as we are chatting about wire in conduit, do yourself a favor when dealing with MC and pass the wires before you tack it on the wall. A very useful tip to know about MC is that it has a pull direction that is with the 'grain' in one direction, and 'against the grain' the other direction. Look inside the tube to see which way to pull.

Actually the electrician installed a 50A breaker but said it was wired with 4GA T90 insulation? (I think that is what it is) and can be swapped out with a 60A breaker when the 14-50 connector is removed and is wired direct to the wall charger when I purchase it. The three black wires are what was installed for the charger.

View attachment 1003538
BTW, since all the wires are black, it looks like this was run with individual wires, presumably in conduit. If this is true, #4 is totally unnecessary, #6 is good for 65 amps. Of all the types of wire, only NM-B needs to be #4, since #6 NM-B is only rated for 55 amps since it must use the 60˚C column in the ampacity tables due to the fact that the wires are contained in an outer PVC sheath instead of conduit or the more robust metal sheath of type MC cable.

There is nothing wrong with running oversized wire, but it is just not necessary, more expensive, and harder to work with pulling the wire through conduit, connecting to a receptacle, or the Tesla Wall Connector.

For really long lengths, much more than 100 feet, sometimes it is necessary to up-size wire to avoid excessive voltage drop or when derating wire due to temperature or the number of conductors in a conduit exceeds 3 current carrying wires.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm late to the party, and tons of great advice in this thread about how to proceed to install a second EVSE, but my number one question for folks in this situation is this: do you actually need two charging stations?

We've been a two EV family since 2013 and for most of that time have basically been able to get by with a single charging station. The one time it didn't really work for us was when we had a Chevy Volt and a 2012 Nissan LEAF, both which only had 3.3kW chargers and thus took hours to charge (and both needed to be charged daily). For this, I built a J1772 hydra splitter that could split my 7kW EVSE output into two connectors, but that's a different story.

Now that we have two Teslas, each of those only needs to be charged every few days, so it is a trivial matter to just alternate which vehicle gets the charge each night.

Unless you know you have excessive driving needs, or there are physical reasons for having two EVSEs (cords won't reach), I would at least see if you can manage with a single EVSE before plunking down funds on a second one.

Reactions: davenlei
I'm late to the party, and tons of great advice in this thread about how to proceed to install a second EVSE, but my number one question for folks in this situation is this: do you actually need two charging stations?

We've been a two EV family since 2013 and for most of that time have basically been able to get by with a single charging station. The one time it didn't really work for us was when we had a Chevy Volt and a 2012 Nissan LEAF, both which only had 3.3kW chargers and thus took hours to charge (and both needed to be charged daily). For this, I built a J1772 hydra splitter that could split my 7kW EVSE output into two connectors, but that's a different story.

Now that we have two Teslas, each of those only needs to be charged every few days, so it is a trivial matter to just alternate which vehicle gets the charge each night.

Unless you know you have excessive driving needs, or there are physical reasons for having two EVSEs (cords won't reach), I would at least see if you can manage with a single EVSE before plunking down funds on a second one.
I installed two Tesla Wall Connectors just because I could. Totally unnecessary for our two Tessies (cords from each WC will reach each Tessie). But I have a redundant TWC in case one of them suffers a failure.

Yea, that is true. I guess living in earthquake land I always want the cars fully charged at 80% and ready to go if we need to survive driving around locally with no electricity for at least a week or longer. But you make a point.

I have two EVs with a single wall connector. It's no issue, but we don't put a lot of miles on them on a daily basis.

Reactions: IvesSM
Ok, so I completed the install of the universal wall charger today. I used the last spots on my panel and put in a 60A breaker. The length of wire from the breaker to the wall charger is about four feet and used #6 size wire for the hots and #8 for the ground. Overall not difficult and I appreciate all the advice and suggestions from everyone in this thread.
Here are the pics.

Wall Charger 1.jpg
Wall Charger 2.jpg
Wall Charger 3.jpg
Wall Charger 4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: davewill