Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 model S 100D SUC speed very slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 90D did get supercharging nerfed 2 months after ownership. I was halfway through my first road trip. Service said I got nerfed because "You supercharged too much".... Delivery speed as ~115 kW, nerfed speed was 94kW. 2020 Christmas firmware update bumped my Model S 90D speeds up to ~120ish, and future updates bumped it higher to ~128kW.

My Model X however, supercharging speeds are absolute crap. If the pack is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY hot, such as around 125-132*F, I can hit 144kW for a few seconds to a minute maximum. Then it drops like a rock to 50-75kW. If the pack isn't extremely hot, then I'll see around 115ish kW with slow taper, and right when it hits 50% SOC, speed will drop like a rock to ~75kW, at about 60% SOC it will drop to around 45-50 kW.
However, the Model X has a brick with one or more dead cells. It's been that way for 6 years, throws range calculations way off when below 40 rated miles, and takes forever (sometimes as long as 6 hours) to hit 100% even on supercharger, as it's doing it's darnedest to balance out the pack. Warranty is up in December, Tesla says it's operating within normal parameters.... If it doesn't fail by the time warranty is up, I'm putting a new style 90, or a 100 pack in the Model X. It's useless now for out of town drives. Took it ONCE to pigeon forge when my S was in the body shop due to getting T-Boned on the Illinois Freeway. Never again. Took about 6 hrs longer than my Model S due to the slower charge rates. Wouldn't be as bad now, with more superchargers in route. Could stop more frequently to keep it below 50% soc. But still..... My Model S can do the drive in about 13 hrs, took the Model X, 19-ish hrs. I drive through the night while the kids sleep, so it made no real difference for them, but still. again though, known dead cells in one brick causing issues.......

The only thing we do different than most people though, is nearly 100% of charging for all our cars is supercharger, and the slider stays at 100% SOC. It's a car. I'm not going to treat it with baby gloves. Take care of the cars? Yes, very good care of them. But it's still a car, and meant to be used, and use them we do. 100% and high supercharger usage has made no real difference compared to others on degradation.
Assuming you have SMT, can you see what the CAC is for the modules? Also total degradation since new? Are you covered by warranty on over 30% degradation on the MX?

Can you do the HV pack test under Service mode? It will probably be optimistic, since it does not pull enough power to reflect driving.

I believe 20% difference in CAC is enough to throw an error code.

Here's wishing you a new pack under warranty just in time for Christmas.

Assuming you have SMT, can you see what the CAC is for the modules? Also total degradation since new? Are you covered by warranty on over 30% degradation on the MX?

Can you do the HV pack test under Service mode? It will probably be optimistic, since it does not pull enough power to reflect driving.

I believe 20% difference in CAC is enough to throw an error code.

Here's wishing you a new pack under warranty just in time for Christmas.
Yes, CAC is at ~7.6ah. Not sure what total since new is, as I got it used with 60k on it and 2 years old-ish. Not covered under degradation warranty, as it's on the old Unlimited Mile warranty. No HV Pack test under service mode, the vehicle is too old for that :-( Yes I've upgraded to MCU2. Thanks, Wishing for the same awesome Christmas Present :) With the CAC imbalance, it's borderline throwing an BMS_U18 or u29 error. The thing just wont die!

Reactions: aerodyne