Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.2.1 for 12/2016 Model S a dud?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this last night on my 2017 Model S. My wife's 2019 Model 3 has missed the last 3 updates I got. Both setup with Advanced.

The only changed I noticed so far with a short drive (no testing) was my "Creep Mode" was turned off. Strange coming into the garage without it. At first I thought maybe tied to this one pedal driving feature but apparently I do not have it.

Anyone with a pre-Raven build who can chime in?

I can understand why some non-driving features (like streaming Hulu) related to MCU1 vs MCU2 are missing from older cars. I also understand that AP2.0 cars like mine might present some FSD challenges, in spite of Elon’s reassuring tweets.

But not having this true one pedal driving update is the first time I can recall a basic driving function not being upgraded. Hopefully this isn’t the start of a trend.

(BTW, my Release Notes are blank and I suspect that reflects none of the four new driving features are included.)

Last edited:
I have the update on my 2018 S with 2.5 hardware. No "auto stop" mode. What confuses me is "why?". I certainly understand that the difference in the motors allows regen down to zero but it's explained as "auto braking" which the vehicle is certainly capable of doing so (as it does in autopilot) . Why can't that feature be implemented to get one pedal driving. Of all the things they've added, that just doesn't seem too tough since it already does it in autopilot. IMHO.

I have the update on my 2018 S with 2.5 hardware. No "auto stop" mode. What confuses me is "why?". I certainly understand that the difference in the motors allows regen down to zero but it's explained as "auto braking" which the vehicle is certainly capable of doing so (as it does in autopilot) . Why can't that feature be implemented to get one pedal driving. Of all the things they've added, that just doesn't seem too tough since it already does it in autopilot. IMHO.
Agree that the omission is puzzling.

While applying a little brake at stops isn’t a big deal, I have always thought it was odd — especially since that is not the case on autopilot (or ACC) as you noted. What is a much bigger deal is obsolescence and I’d hate to think we will be missing out on important future driving enhancements. Not being able to have some of the fun MCU2 features like streaming video is one thing, but missing basic driving control upgrades is quite another. (Of course as a 2.0 owner, my primary driving enhancement concern is the FSD upgrade and it remains to be seen how that will work out, reassuring tweets or not.)

Last edited:
Sadly, I've seen some news stories suggesting the one pedal driving feature in 2019.36+ is tied to Model 3 and Raven S/X builds. I'm very disappointed by this as well having a Sept '17 X that seems like it won't be getting this feature either.
Got this update overnight on my Sept '17 MCU1/AP2.5 X100D. Only features listed in the release notes were "Scheduled Departure" (scheduled charging + cabin pre-conditioning) and "Automatic Navigation".

Obviously it can be done in other ways. Autopilot and Adaptive cruise are able to bring the car to a stop... the PM motor provides an elegant solution in its use of regen but still... hopefully we will see it using the brakes after regen kicks off. I am a Creep user and am not sure I want to give that up anyway.