Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.2 in the UK on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bow to your more recent knowledge.... but a year or so ago when we got a loaner with AP2 it was horrible by comparison to AP1 and only lasted for about a mile of ping ponging before we switched it off.

However to be honest, I have been frightened whit-less too often to let AP try to drive under anything but perfect conditions.

This is how much better AP2 is now. I did turn AP off at the first junction as it was getting close to the cars on the right, but if you actually if didn't know anything about AP am not sure your would be able to tell the car was essentially 'driving' it self for pretty much that entire video.

It also shows why nags are really important, when the car got the last junction it has no idea what to do. If your been lazy and just relied on AP for the previous part of the journey its very easy to get complacent and let the car go sailing through a complex junction with no idea about potential dangerous/red lights etc.

Compared to how AP2.0 behaved 18 months ago, its a massive step forwards.

I have tried the same stretch of road in a loaner with AP1, not a chance of keeping to lane even in good visibility let alone pouring rain, and even mild bends forget it!!

I find it rather annoying it not detecting my hands on the wheel when they are. I find myself almost having to fight it now and again to remind the car I'm still here. Just checked and i'm not on that version yet and have a 300 mile drive tomorrow. Hope it doesn't upgrade overnight!

Another thing I've noticed on say a 3 lane motorway is that I'm in lane 3 and nothing is in lane 2 but in lane 1 there is a car - it often thinks the car is in lane 2 and so won't then pull over..

Is there am published Tesla changelog of improvements / bug fixes which are pushed out with each update?

The rain/salt at the moment is also a rather vexing factor having to clean the cameras every 30 mins almost and so AP complaining (i'm glad it does and its a very first world problem but still...), yes a brit complaining about the weather :)

OP here. I'm going to have to eat some humble pie.

I had it in my mind that the 40.2.1 inattentive period was about a minute - so a drop to 15 secs with 40.2.2 would be unacceptable to me.

Over the hols I took a motorway drive and did something I've never done before ... I deliberately drove "no hands".

During a short test I found that, still on 40.2.1, I would get a visual nag after 24 seconds. This was travelling with traffic at "70mph".

So perhaps the change to 15 seconds wouldn't be that much more inconvenient after all.

Has anyone else with an AP1 car upgraded from 40.2.1 to 40.2.2 ... and can they provide feedback about the motorway AP experience.

I'm thinking that perhaps I might relent and accept the update.

If you don’t want to be nagged put a wrist weight on the wheel, I don’t for suburban driving but absolutely do for motorway driving where ap is excellent. YOU of course are still in charge but your workload is reduced and you have far more capacity to monitor what’s happening around you.

Oh ffs I though it was only a certain few americans that did dumb sh*t like this

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OVERRIDE THE SAFETY SYSTEMS BY ATTACHING A WEIGHT TO THE STEERING WHEEL

- it is downright dangerous, stupid and is exactly the reason regulators are re-inforcing the regulations and clamping down on nag intervals for the rest of us.

In addition to the risk to yourself and others, if you were to end up in an accident your insurance would be immediately invalidated, and furthermore Tesla will know from the logs as a weight will show a different torque pattern than a human hand.

The nag is there for a reason - AP at this time is an excellent driver assistance system that requires the driver to be alert and prepared to take over immediately at any time.