Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X - Warranty expiring soon - what to check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,
My 2020 Model X has warranty expiring soon and I plan to keep it for 2-4 more years. I paid for a general checkup with Tesla and we did following things:
1. Replaced Dryer, Dessicant, Hepa filter, Cabin filter, Wiper: Proposed and Paid by me
2. General check up: Proposed and Paid by me.
3. Replaced Brake pad and Rotor (due to rusting and not wear): Issue found in check up and Paid by me
4. General check up found Front lower aft and fore link bushings are cracked/torn. Replaced LH and RH Aft Lower Front Suspension Link. Replaced LH and RH Fore Lower Front Suspension Link: Issue found in checkup and Covered by warranty

After this service, I realized that the headlights are not working great. When I raised the ticket, they found an issue with headlight, which they hadn't found in their general checkup and will now replace headlight under warranty. He said that in general check up they just look for safety issues and suspension.

I found a helpful service advisor who is taking care of my car. What else should I ask them to check for, so that we can fix maximum defects during the warranty. Is there somewhere I can find a list of things most likely to fail in Model X.

Thanks and really appreciate your help!

We purchased an aftermarket warranty for $4500, good for 4 years or another 50,000 miles. With an X, repairs can be expensive (think falcon wing doors).
Another 20,000 and a little over a year later, haven't needed it, but it is "peace of mind".

If your like us, it's worth it, if not.............

Most likely to fail …

Half shafts. Check for vibration during hard acceleration and be prepared to demonstrate. I had mine done two weeks before my warranty expired.

FWD seals. I noticed that my passenger side FWD seal was touching the roof glass when fully opened. I asked the SC to adjust it. Instead they replaced the seal and glass under warranty . Wasn’t expecting that with all the threads about refusals to cover these seals under warranty. Wish they had done both sides but oh well - it’s better than nothing.

I bought the Xcare extended warranty. Be aware there’s a 30 day waiting period before it takes effect. I was unlucky and got burned as my MCU2 died during the waiting period and the replacement cost was on me. If you’re considering it, purchase it 30 days before your warranty ends.