Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 S: Pushing trunk "button" with key fob doesn't unlock/open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2014 S85, if the car was locked and you just pressed on the trunk "button" -- the physical one on the actual liftback -- the trunk would unlock and open.

On my new 2020, I can't figure out why this behavior has changed, or how to change it back. It's now a two step process that requires me to "unlock" the car with either the fob or the app before the trunk will lift.

Help? Did I miss some setting somewhere and just forget it existed from the old one to the new...?

Two thoughts - do you have walk-up unlocking enabled? I think you can disable that, which means the car won't automatically unlock when you get close, so you'd need to unlock it explicitly before the hatch button will work. Or, is it possible that your rear fob antenna (the one in the back of the car) is disconnected? Do the handles present themselves when you walk up to the front or side of the car automatically? You do have the fob on you and not in a tin foil bag when you're hitting the hatch button, right?

Basically, when approaching from the front or side, the car detects the fob and presents handles and unlocks. When approaching from the back, the car doesn't actively look for the fob, but after hitting the hatch button, the car will ping from that antenna and see if the fob is close. I wish they would do the same when clicking the charging connector so you don't have to wave the fob at the rear door or unlock it first to disconnect it... :)

So I’m coming back to this because it’s still never worked “right”. If I stand at the back of the car — like a foot from the trunk hatch — with the key fob (new battery just to be extra sure) and press the trunk button, nothing happens. I have to unlock the car (doesn’t matter how) before the trunk will open by pressing the physical button on the trunk hatch. I realize I can double tap the trunk button on the fob, but the whole point is that I shouldn’t need to dig out the fob to have it open my car. :)

If this is definitely unexpected behavior, I guess I’ll set up a service appointment...

So I’m coming back to this because it’s still never worked “right”. If I stand at the back of the car — like a foot from the trunk hatch — with the key fob (new battery just to be extra sure) and press the trunk button, nothing happens. I have to unlock the car (doesn’t matter how) before the trunk will open by pressing the physical button on the trunk hatch. I realize I can double tap the trunk button on the fob, but the whole point is that I shouldn’t need to dig out the fob to have it open my car. :)

If this is definitely unexpected behavior, I guess I’ll set up a service appointment...

It's definitely unexpected. Your rear keyfob antenna is likely loose/damaged/missing.