Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Different Screens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the market to buy a used Model S. I have been noticing that some of the 2021 Model S have the original tall center screen…..and some have the new wide center screen. What gives?

I much prefer the original tall screen, as it looks more integrated into the dash and doesn’t stick up above the top of the dash. Just a much cleaner look in my opinion

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: danielk04
I’m in the market to buy a used Model S. I have been noticing that some of the 2021 Model S have the original tall center screen…..and some have the new wide center screen. What gives?

I much prefer the original tall screen, as it looks more integrated into the dash and doesn’t stick up above the top of the dash. Just a much cleaner look in my opinion

Thanks in advance!
Mid 2021 had a major refresh. It’s not just the screens, but includes a lot more changes as well. The ones with the horizontal screens should also have a yoke steering wheel.

Upvote 0
Thank you. What other changes….other than the screen and the yoke wheel? (I don’t like the yoke)
The refreshed Model S (built June 2021 and later, with the horizontal screen) have a LOT of changes, some of the main ones listed below. If you haven't yet, you should do a test drive in both the pre-refresh and refreshed cars to see which one fits your needs and budget (or at least watch some YouTube reviews).
- Much faster acceleration (that is usable repeatedly without as much degradation with decreasing state of charge).
- Much better interior materials and quality.
- Quieter interior.
- Ventilated (in addition to heated) front seats.
- Rear screen that can control rear climate controls and watch video content.
- Yoke with no stalks (turn signals on steering wheel, horn is a button, gear shifting is done on the screen).
- Multiple wireless phone chargers and USB-C ports (front & back).
- Wider fenders.
- Non-customizable driver display.

Upvote 0
The refreshed Model S (built June 2021 and later, with the horizontal screen) have a LOT of changes, some of the main ones listed below. If you haven't yet, you should do a test drive in both the pre-refresh and refreshed cars to see which one fits your needs and budget (or at least watch some YouTube reviews).
- Much faster acceleration (that is usable repeatedly without as much degradation with decreasing state of charge).
- Much better interior materials and quality.
- Quieter interior.
- Ventilated (in addition to heated) front seats.
- Rear screen that can control rear climate controls and watch video content.
- Yoke with no stalks (turn signals on steering wheel, horn is a button, gear shifting is done on the screen).
- Multiple wireless phone chargers and USB-C ports (front & back).
- Wider fenders.
- Non-customizable driver display.
Thank you so much!!

Upvote 1
Thank you. What other changes….other than the screen and the yoke wheel? (I don’t like the yoke)

There was/is a retrofit to go from a yoke to a conventional steering wheel, if that's the only thing holding you back. (Tesla has flip-flopped on this, as of this writing the steering wheel is the default on new builds, and the yoke is an added-cost option.)

I agree with @WiLz about trying to do a test drive in both cars if you can, to make a more informed decision.

Good luck!

Bruce.

Upvote 0