Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a 2014 Model S 90 RWD - Help me fill in the blanks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a high mileage(just under 200k miles) 2014 Model S in excellent exterior and interior condition and at a great price.
Here's the kicker. There is literally no information available on the car. Unfortunately, there are no service records and nothing service related shows up in Carfax. The seller also knows nothing about it as he bought if from auction a few weeks ago and is flipping it. I looked at the car today and did some sleuthing...
  1. There was no 2014 90RWD. It was originally an 85. I checked the battery pack and it's a Reman 90kwh from 2016. So, newer battery, but not that much newer. Doesn't really make me feel great about the battery age, but better than I did going into it. The screen says Model S 90.
    • Is the 90 a better battery(tech wise) than the 85?
    • What kind of charging speeds can I expect at a Supercharger?
    • The badge on the back says 80. Does Tesla really replace the badge when battery replaced under warranty for a slightly larger pack?
  2. It does not have Free Supercharging. Don't all '14s come with lifetime free charging? This leads me to believe that the 1st owner traded it in to Tesla and Tesla removed that bonus. Is that reasonable to assume?
  3. Is there any way to dig up more info on this car?
Thanks,
Adam

hi, have you googled the vin? have you run a carfax? you'll likely get chain of ownership with a little bit of research.
*if it's really a 2016 90kwh battery, that is considered to be inferior to the 85s due to degradation issues
*supercharging speeds somewhat unpredictable but prob max at 100-120kw for a second or two, and then average around 60kw for most of the charge. I think it's more important to measure how long it will take from 20%-80%.. for this car, prob 60-75 min
*Badges dont matter.. you can get a plaid badge on it if you want
*unless it was a 60 originally, it came w supercharging.. presumably wasn't a 60, so if Tesla hadn't taken ownership, make sure it's not a salvage

What's the part number of battery?
Not all 90s had degradation, later ones are fine...
My 90 reaches 130kw max n gradually decreasing as it charges but def not 'mostly 60kw'
Also 90 was never subject to chargegate
80 badge is fake, there was never an 80 officially

My 90D just before I sold it with 80k miles was hitting peak charging rates of 150 kW and would still charge faster overall (20-70% or 20-80%) than when I bought it brand new in June 2016. My pack was showing an apparent degradation of around 8.5% after 7.5 years / 80k miles (pack calendar age is just as important as energy throughput on the pack). Overall about 45% of my total charging was via superchargers (from a miles added measure). So I must disagree with some of the comments you always hear about 90 kW packs being so horribly inferior to the earlier 85 packs. That doesn't match my ownership experience.

As for rebadging, anyone can rebadge a car. Doesn't have to be Tesla. There are cases where owners reporting getting Tesla to reprogram what showed on the main screen after packs replaced.

As for it not having free supercharging, two plausible scenarios. One is that it did go back through Tesla at some point and had free supercharging removed. The other is the previous owner decided to take advantage of the offer in Q4 to transfer their free supercharing to the purchase of a new S, X, or Y. That's what I did with my 2016, so someone out there shoppinng for a mid-2016 MS90D could find vin ...145402 for sale and wonder why it no longer is showing free supercharging.

So the biggest uncertainty is really how many of those 200k miles are on this remain pack. And I have no clue how to help you figure that out!

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston