Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Squeaking Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only in reverse? Does it go away after using the friction brakes? Have you tried a few hard braking stops (w/o traffic around you!) to clean the rotors?

How about feeling the wheels (NOT the rotors!) near the hub after a highway run of a few miles? If you have a dragging brake pad, one of the wheels would feel noticeably warmer than the others.

I'd go to an auto parts store and pick up an inexpensive infrared thermometer gun.

Upvote 0
Only in reverse? Does it go away after using the friction brakes? Have you tried a few hard braking stops (w/o traffic around you!) to clean the rotors?

How about feeling the wheels (NOT the rotors!) near the hub after a highway run of a few miles? If you have a dragging brake pad, one of the wheels would feel noticeably warmer than the others.

I'd go to an auto parts store and pick up an inexpensive infrared thermometer gun.
While driving forward I get similar but less pronounced noise. I had submitted service request and that person did hard braking process but it did worked for that time and now the noise is back again.
This mostly happens when car is sitting after long drive and I start driving at low speeds.
I have submitted another service request to see if they can check it out.

Upvote 0
Meanwhile, check it out yourself. FEEL each wheel for excessive heat. It's possible you have a dragging brake pad.

I'm at 13k miles, and my car is making a brake squeal, first drive of the day, always in reverse (backing up slowly). I never hear it after that first rolling movement.

AFAIK, Tesla isn't the only car with this affliction.

Upvote 0
Meanwhile, check it out yourself. FEEL each wheel for excessive heat. It's possible you have a dragging brake pad.

I'm at 13k miles, and my car is making a brake squeal, first drive of the day, always in reverse (backing up slowly). I never hear it after that first rolling movement.

AFAIK, Tesla isn't the only car with this affliction.
Sounds good, seems like I am in the same boat. Thank you.

Upvote 0
If your rotors look rusty that may be it. I am in WA and basically at 44” of rain each year. My 01’ Durango which I kinda hate to drive at this point is constantly having this issue due to sitting. Due to brake regen I also wonder if I’m going to deal with this post car wash and or wet season Nov-March.
I even looked up the manual and its the same brake mantinance every other car has. We just use our brakes less due to regen.

Upvote 0