Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y: Turtle Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, story time. I had my MY go into turtle mode randomly back on March 1st in the middle of the night. The screen said that my rear motor had been disabled. Long story short, Tesla sent a tow (which took close to 2 hours) and took our baby away. Service essentially told me that they needed to replace the rear drive unit, however the part was coming from the U.S and it could take weeks to arrive. They also told me to that once they get the part that the process was fairly simple and should really only take about 3 hours to do.

The part arrived about 3 days ago and at least from what I’ve been told, they’ve been working on the car for the last 2 days and it just got pushed another day. Has anyone ever encountered this before and is this normal? I might be in the home stretch here but it just seems wild that a brand new car would have an issue like this.

Well, story time. I had my MY go into turtle mode randomly back on March 1st in the middle of the night. The screen said that my rear motor had been disabled. Long story short, Tesla sent a tow (which took close to 2 hours) and took our baby away. Service essentially told me that they needed to replace the rear drive unit, however the part was coming from the U.S and it could take weeks to arrive. They also told me to that once they get the part that the process was fairly simple and should really only take about 3 hours to do.

The part arrived about 3 days ago and at least from what I’ve been told, they’ve been working on the car for the last 2 days and it just got pushed another day. Has anyone ever encountered this before and is this normal? I might be in the home stretch here but it just seems wild that a brand new car would have an issue like this.
Many times for me at least. The appointment is scheduled, and the car is dropped off. Can sit there for a day or so. One time mine sat there for a week, I wasn't too happy. Sometimes they put the car in service mode so one cannot see status or movement of car.

I put an airtag in the car. So when it sits there I can see if they even moved the car. Sad to have to do that, but that one time the car sat there for a week. Well I said I am leaving for a month on date X. Can't pick up after that date. The car sat there for another month. Then they repeatedly asked me to pick up car.

Long story short. They might have just started the work. The process of the swap is simple. Electric motors usually fail early or they don't fail for a long time. So often what you see is posts like yours. New car, why did my motor fail? Design is opposite of ICE. Which fail over time most of the time.