Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode power requirement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently out of town and parked in a public lot, so I turned on sentry mode. I was not aware of the amount the energy this thing actually uses. My X has been parked for about 48 hours with sentry mode running the whole time, 15Kw, that seems like really alot. Originally I thought I had read that sentry mode would use 2-3Kw per day and I thought that was bad. But 15kw in 48 hours is way over the top.

Is there something I can look at or is that just the way it is? I got the 15wk number from the energy app (parked stats).

After reading various posts in other threads some of the power usage is related to the computer being on all the time.

I have also noticed that even at home with sentry mode off I quite ofter see 1-2 kw per day power drain. I have also noticed that I get several/many disconnect notices on my phone per day.

So whenever I get a disconnect notice in my telsa app does that mean that the cars computer system was powered up for some reason, and just powered down?

What determines when the tesla app automatically connects?

For those of us with OCD, energy is kWh not kW. Yes, sentry mode uses a lot. Without sentry mode you should expect about 1 kWh loss per day. With sentry mode, the estimates vary but my experience was about 5 kWh per day.

I am not sure what disconnect message you are referring to. In general, the desired low energy state is “sleep.” Checking on the car via the Tesla app will prevent sleep. It does not sleep when sentry mode is on.

I just got a updated service notification, but to see what it says I need to open the Tesla App. Is that going to wake the car up? I also just received a "Connected" message on my phone. Can that be triggered by Tesla sending me a message? That would cause the car to have potentially many wake/sleep transitions a day.

I just got a updated service notification, but to see what it says I need to open the Tesla App. Is that going to wake the car up? I also just received a "Connected" message on my phone. Can that be triggered by Tesla sending me a message? That would cause the car to have potentially many wake/sleep transitions a day.
If you go into the app, it will wake up the car you have selected. Tesla sending you a message inside the app, will not wake the car, but you going into the app to read it, will. Fortunately, Tesla doesn't do that often.

Despite the fact everyone saying app will wake up the car, i haven't noticed it on my car
I've left on multi-day vacations many times, no matter if i check the car via app or not the drain/charges are always the same
What I did notice is first 2-3 days standby drain is higher then it becomes much lower (car topping up charge less often)
So the car is clearly going into deeper sleep after few days parked.

I have 2022 model x plaid and I have done this test many times. When the car is on or not sleeping all the computers are on. The car used about 300-400watts when it’s just awake with no climate control on. With sentry mode on the car does not turn off/sleep. It comes to about 8% or about 8kwh per 24 hours. If I have sentry mode off and cabin over heat off and I don’t open the app to wake up the car and I don’t get close to the car with my phone key or key fob so I don’t wake up the car it will loose almost nothing.

I once park my car at the airport parking lot for 10 days with sentry mode off and I never open the app to wake up the car. On the 9th day I check I did not loose a single % on my battery. The last 24 hours I turned sentry mode on it it drain 8% in 24 hours.

The biggest drain is parking is directly sunlight on a 100degree+ day with cabin over heat protection on and sentry mode on. This can eat 10% in 8 hours.

My Model Y has been parked in my garage unplugged for 2 days and the battery has drained down 14% already. There really is no point in having this security system if we can't have it on for many days or even a week. I certainly would want it on when my car is at an airport parking lot, when we are on vacation. The current amount of battery drain only makes it good for a night or two. So I'm hoping Tesla's power consumption improvement will be significant, when released.

My Model Y has been parked in my garage unplugged for 2 days and the battery has drained down 14% already. There really is no point in having this security system if we can't have it on for many days or even a week. I certainly would want it on when my car is at an airport parking lot, when we are on vacation. The current amount of battery drain only makes it good for a night or two. So I'm hoping Tesla's power consumption improvement will be significant, when released.

Is this a multi-tenant garage? Not sure why you’d have sentry mode on in your own garage. I only use it in situations here I think there is a reasonable possibility of the car getting damaged - tight parking lots, sketchy places in a city, etc. It isn’t a viable option for long-term parking, even with the 40% improvement Tesla is hoping for.

Sentry will stop when the battery gets down to 20 %. But, why is it not plugged in? Normally you would/should plug it in, in your own garage.

Sentry will stop when the battery gets down to 20 %. But, why is it not plugged in? Normally you would/should plug it in, in your own garage.
I know it stops at 20%. My car is normally plugged in while in my garage and kept set to a 50% state of charge, for the maximum battery health because I don't drive it daily. But a few days ago I happened to open the Tesla app and saw my car was charging to 80% and was already at 79%. No idea why this happened. I stopped the charge and decided to turn Sentry Mode on to help reduce the battery level, yeah I could have just took it for a ride but I didn't want the extra mileage, plus it was raining and the car was clean. Anyway, Sentry Mode seemed to use more power on this Model Y than it had when I owned a Model 3. Maybe HW4 uses a tad more juice than HW3, not sure.

I don't think a laptop with 4 cameras and a few sensors need that amount of power.
Clearly it does when you lose 3% to 7% a night. Remember that when Sentry Mode is on, the cameras are always recording, just not saving until there is an event.

Not sure what "sensors" you are talking about because the cameras are the only sensors. So the cameras and computer will not be in sleep mode with Sentry on.

Clearly it does when you lose 3% to 7% a night. Remember that when Sentry Mode is on, the cameras are always recording, just not saving until there is an event.

Not sure what "sensors" you are talking about because the cameras are the only sensors. So the cameras and computer will not be in sleep mode with Sentry on.
Think about a ARM based system + 4 cameras. Seven kWhs a day is too much.