Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.20.9 / App requires now Location permissions on phone to see car on map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but site-search didn't surface;

I seldom have location permissions enabled on my iPhone [iOS 16 now if that's relevant] - usually only for navigating city/transit etc or Google Maps etc. But as a rule, it's off 99% of the time.

but as of now, the Tesla app is requiring me to enable location services [ie switch on, not grant a permission] just in order to see the car's location/speed etc on the map [map only - it still lists the car's location address without that enabled]. I can understand the use case for summon, but why else would Tesla need to ever know my own location??? I use the feature when trying to see for example when someone's picking me up in the car and want to estimate ETA etc.

Have never been required to do this [hard switch on location services on iPhone] in the ~ 30 months I've owned the car. Haven't made any changes to car SW apart from being on V 2022.20.9

Many thanks in advance for any insights particularly if this is known bug or now a permanent requirement?? Tesla of course are saying it's an Apple thing nothing to do with them. It's not like I'll be using summon from 30 miles away !

Last edited:
What exactly happens when you don't enable location services for the Tesla app and try to use the map?
I get this prompt. Like I said, 99% of the time I never have location services switched on in my iPhone.
And I've never had to enable it on historically for this purpose. The only time I've ever used location services enabled in the Tesla App was for summon when it obviously needs my location. But I can't see any reason whatsoever why Tesla would need/insist on my location, to merely show me my cars' location. The address is shown correctly on the status screen, without location services enabled. And I'd struggle to believe that iOS 16 requires it, which of course is the go-to response from Tesla Service Helpdesk.

& Not to be confused with the 'let this app use location services when location services enabled toggle' in iOS 16 .

Attachments

• tesla locaiton app .jpg
    tesla locaiton app .jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 277
Thanks for clarifying. I think the app now shows the car’s location differently, and it initially uses a zoomed-out map that shows both your location and the car’s (which some have complained about), so that probably explains the change.

Thanks for clarifying. I think the app now shows the car’s location differently, and it initially uses a zoomed-out map that shows both your location and the car’s (which some have complained about), so that probably explains the change.
A few months ago, I could see the car's location and speed, on the map, without any form of GPS requirement on my phone.
Now, I must switch on location permissions, and I only see the car's location on the map. Speed if applicable, on the main menu.
This doesn't feel like progress at all.

How/why would anyone request [via complaint?] such ~retrogression?

nothing good comes from tesla requiring that tesla owners enable mobile location features on mobile devices in order to receive 'default' (base level) mobile app features. this is not rocket science and in the off chance that elon reads this, he knows this as well.

sure, these are strange times and we are in a strange global climate but nonetheless internet/mobile users in many countries are being forced to disable location features on their mobile devices for security reasons in order to prevent the potential for abusing user location tracking due to war and other social unrest. given this as base level knowledge, why would any mobile app provider require (bake into the app) that app users be required in order to enable location features to receive base level app functionality? have the folks making app security decisions lost their minds?

bottom line: all base level app features shld work *** without *** the requirement for enabling location features. additional app features can certainly be available if location services are enabled but effectively crippling base level app features if the mobile location features are not enabled (by default) strikes me as both imprudent and a train wreck waiting to happen. just saying, ...

Reactions: SFEV2020