Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S High Beams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to my Model S. I can't figure out how to turn the high beams on. If I have them on Auto, they never come on. I'm able to flash them on the yoke, but that's it. When I turn off Auto, they also flash but I can't figure out how to keep them on.

What am I missing?

TIA

I don't think you're missing anything. I drive a 3, not an S, but what you describe is consistent with how my 3 works.

The auto behavior is cool when it does something but, like you, I wish there was a way to turn on the high beams and have them stick, and then after I turn them off they would go back to auto.

I don't think you're missing anything. I drive a 3, not an S, but what you describe is consistent with how my 3 works.

The auto behavior is cool when it does something but, like you, I wish there was a way to turn on the high beams and have them stick, and then after I turn them off they would go back to auto.

Thanks. I thought I was missing something. The manual isn't clear about this. Seems pointless to have high beams if you can't turn them on other than flashing them!

Thanks. I thought I was missing something. The manual isn't clear about this. Seems pointless to have high beams if you can't turn them on other than flashing them!

You can, just not on auto. ;) For some reason I'm still hesitant to do that, whereas disabling the auto butt warmer was a no-brainer.

The basic problem with auto-anything IMO is that people have different levels of aggressiveness. Auto-wipers for instance: I prefer less wiping at the cost of a wetter windshield, and I usually think that Tesla's auto-wipers do too much. Other people probably want them to go even faster. These things need to have a knob for how aggressive you want them to be.

You can, just not on auto. ;) For some reason I'm still hesitant to do that, whereas disabling the auto butt warmer was a no-brainer.

The basic problem with auto-anything IMO is that people have different levels of aggressiveness. Auto-wipers for instance: I prefer less wiping at the cost of a wetter windshield, and I usually think that Tesla's auto-wipers do too much. Other people probably want them to go even faster. These things need to have a knob for how aggressive you want them to be.
When I turn mine off Auto, the brights do not stay on unless I hold the button on the yoke. I have no idea how to get them on and keep them on.

With 2022.4.5 software in my 3:

Pull/push the left stalk.
The lights setting will appear bottom-left of display.
You want it so that the "Auto" button is on, but the button above it that shows a headlight with "A" (for auto?) is OFF.

Then what happens is pulling the stalk a temp high beams (they go off when you release), but pushing the stalk toggles them off and on, which is what you're looking for.

The settings are confusing as crap. Sorry for not pointing that out from the get-go, it's been a long time since I've used anything but auto.

Thank you! That worked! I could swear there is nothing in the manual about holding the button down for a second. Maybe I skipped it while being overwhelmed with technology!
NP. Probably “designed” to prevent inadvertent high beam flashes. I think you can turn it off with a quick touch. I have not tested this while on Auto, so not sure if override is possible.

I think I figured this out tonight. I have the "Auto high beams" mode enabled. I held down the headlight button on the yoke for a few seconds. A circle started appearing around the headlight icon and when the circle completed, the high beams stayed on and properly turned on/off automatically based on whether or not there was oncoming traffic. This was much easier in my pre-refresh Model X where I could simply push the stalk forward for "Auto high beams" and back for "high beams disabled", but it does seem to work the same.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fastcar and DeepFrz
I think I figured this out tonight. I have the "Auto high beams" mode enabled. I held down the headlight button on the yoke for a few seconds. A circle started appearing around the headlight icon and when the circle completed, the high beams stayed on and properly turned on/off automatically based on whether or not there was oncoming traffic. This was much easier in my pre-refresh Model X where I could simply push the stalk forward for "Auto high beams" and back for "high beams disabled", but it does seem to work the same.
Thank you. I'll give that a try tonight.

I just noticed the white circle that grows to indicate when high beam is set on. That might be new.

Hello again, @SoCal Buzz . Please see the related thread I started: 2022 Model S: High Beams and Auto-Locking Questions. I also tried your suggestion:

"With Auto turned off, you have to press and hold the button for a second and it will stay on. It’s a bit finicky, so try different hold times until you get it."

Nothing seems to work to keep the high beams on manually. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Hello again, @SoCal Buzz . Please see the related thread I started: 2022 Model S: High Beams and Auto-Locking Questions. I also tried your suggestion:

"With Auto turned off, you have to press and hold the button for a second and it will stay on. It’s a bit finicky, so try different hold times until you get it."

Nothing seems to work to keep the high beams on manually. Any other thoughts? Thanks.
What firmware version are you on? I’m on 40.4.2.

Do you have Auto High Beam on or off on Lights menu?

With Auto High Beam off, when you press and hold the light icon on yoke, do you see white circle grow around the headlight indicator on instrument cluster? Mine does so, and high beam stays on after holding for about 2.5 seconds (changing from green to blue icon).

You can test by setting lights On like these settings, then holding the yoke button until white circle completes.

image.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mr. Jetson
What firmware version are you on? I’m on 40.4.2.

Do you have Auto High Beam on or off on Lights menu?

With Auto High Beam off, when you press and hold the light icon on yoke, do you see white circle grow around the headlight indicator on instrument cluster? Mine does so, and high beam stays on after holding for about 2.5 seconds (changing from green to blue icon).

You can test by setting lights On like these settings, then holding the yoke button until white circle completes.

View attachment 881432
Thanks again, @SoCal Buzz ...I always appreciate your willingness to help. Yes, I too am on firmware version 40.4.2. I followed your instructions and switched the headlights from "Auto" to "On" and toggled off the "Auto High Beam." This does indeed allow me to manually turn on the high beams, but when I have the Headlight setting to "On," the car notifies me that the lights are on (and don't turn off when I exit). So that would mean that I have to change the setting from Auto to On each time I plan to manually keep the High Beams on.

So, it seems that I have to first make the change from "Auto" to "On" (I find Auto High Beams useful) and then follow your instructions to manually keep the High Beams on. Even if I choose to have the Headlights setting to "On" vs. "Auto," we still have the issue of the lights staying on upon exiting. If this is correct, while it's a useful workaround, it is cumbersome. Do I have this right?

Thanks again, @SoCal Buzz ...I always appreciate your willingness to help. Yes, I too am on firmware version 40.4.2. I followed your instructions and switched the headlights from "Auto" to "On" and toggled off the "Auto High Beam." This does indeed allow me to manually turn on the high beams, but when I have the Headlight setting to "On," the car notifies me that the lights are on (and don't turn off when I exit). So that would mean that I have to change the setting from Auto to On each time I plan to manually keep the High Beams on.

So, it seems that I have to first make the change from "Auto" to "On" (I find Auto High Beams useful) and then follow your instructions to manually keep the High Beams on. Even if I choose to have the Headlights setting to "On" vs. "Auto," we still have the issue of the lights staying on upon exiting. If this is correct, while it's a useful workaround, it is cumbersome. Do I have this right?
Right, I was only suggesting you test with headlights set On. It’s not practical to manually switch on/off all the time (you might forget). Given you got it to work, I think the “issue” is with Auto High Beam design.

I can only manually turn on high beams with long press when Auto High Beam is turned Off. Try setting Headlights to Auto and Auto High Beam to Off. Then see if you can make high beams stay on.

Right, I was only suggesting you test with headlights set On. It’s not practical to manually switch on/off all the time (you might forget). Given you got it to work, I think the “issue” is with Auto High Beam design.

I can only manually turn on high beams with long press when Auto High Beam is turned Off. Try setting Headlights to Auto and Auto High Beam to Off. Then see if you can make high beams stay on.
Nope...can only keep High Beams on when Headlights are set to "On" (Auto off). As I mentioned.. this is a good workaround when we need to keep Highbeams on, but we must remember that Headlights will stay on until changed back to Auto setting. Thanks again for your help!

BTW: When you get a chance, please have a look at my questions about some locking issues: 2022 Model S: High Beams and Auto-Locking Questions