Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to set autopilot to current speed limit with no stalks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I just traded my 2020 Model S in for a shiny blue 2024! I'm loving it but can't figure out how to set the cruising speed to the current speed limit with no stalks. Previously I would pull the stalk forward and hold for a bit. The manual says to touch the speed limit display but on the model S it's in the instrument cluster, not the touch screen! Am I missing something obvious or did this important feature slip through the cracks?

Push the right scroll wheel in - that sets the AP and then you can scroll it up or down to increase/decrease the max speed
What you're describing is the basic function of autopilot. That's not what the OP is asking.

On cars that have an autopilot stalk, you can hold it forward or back and it will automatically jump to whatever speed limit offset you have set in the menu. In other words, if the car sees a sign that says 55 MPH and your currently set to 40mph you can hold back and it will automatically jump to 60 mph if you have your offset set to +5.

This function appears to be absent for vehicles that are missing that autopilot stalk. I, for one, use this function all of the time on all of our previous Teslas. Our 2023 model Y doesn't have an autopilot stalk though so it's one of the features that I miss having. The OP is just asking if there's a way to do that on the vehicles that don't have an autopilot stalk.

Well, I just traded my 2020 Model S in for a shiny blue 2024! I'm loving it but can't figure out how to set the cruising speed to the current speed limit with no stalks. Previously I would pull the stalk forward and hold for a bit. The manual says to touch the speed limit display but on the model S it's in the instrument cluster, not the touch screen! Am I missing something obvious or did this important feature slip through the cracks?
For me: No stalk = 100% Dealbreaker.
If Tesla does not fix this incredibly stupid design error my 2018 M3 is the only Tesla I will ever own.

For me: No stalk = 100% Dealbreaker.
If Tesla does not fix this incredibly stupid design error my 2018 M3 is the only Tesla I will ever own.
You're not alone in this thinking. Sales are down so I'm sure Tesla is playing the game of attributing that to interest rates and a general malaise around all things EV currently being the issue with sales numbers. We can only hope they decide to add them back in sooner than later.

You're not alone in this thinking. Sales are down so I'm sure Tesla is playing the game of attributing that to interest rates and a general malaise around all things EV currently being the issue with sales numbers. We can only hope they decide to add them back in sooner than later.
I've said this before but they could easily keep both camps happy. Yoke with flat buttons for some, round steering wheel with stalks for everyone else.

Reactions: Timmo
Our 2023 model Y doesn't have an autopilot stalk though so it's one of the features that I miss having.

On a Model Y, Just hold down the right stalk for about 1 second while autopilot is active. From the manual:

Changing the Set Speed​

Roll the right scroll wheel up to increase, or down to decrease, the set speed.

You can also change the cruising speed to the current speed limit (including any offset you've specified), by either:

• Pushing the drive stalk downward and briefly holding.
  • Touching and briefly holding the speed limit sign on the touchscreen until you see the cruising speed change.

You can search the manual in your car for "current speed". This is the result from my 2022 MSLR manual:

1000028392.jpg

On a Model Y, Just hold down the right stalk for about 1 second while autopilot is active. From the manual:

Changing the Set Speed​

Roll the right scroll wheel up to increase, or down to decrease, the set speed.

You can also change the cruising speed to the current speed limit (including any offset you've specified), by either:

• Pushing the drive stalk downward and briefly holding.
  • Touching and briefly holding the speed limit sign on the touchscreen until you see the cruising speed change.
Dang, I missed that. I was driving yesterday and I tried a few different things with the gear selector/autopilot stalk and I must have tried all options except that. I'll give that a try next time I'm in it. Thanks!

Not much help for the OP or those w/o stalks but helpful for those of us who still have the gear selector/autopilot stalk.