Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y 4680 Structural Pack is "Amazing" | TMC Podcast #15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Topics-
2:48 4680 Structural Pack
22:43 HVAC Smell Snake Oil
30:10 Tesla and Future of Energy Production
52:28 Data-Labeling Layoffs
58:40 Questions/Comments from previous episode

Co-hosts:

Producers:

Audio version:

Social:

Support us-
PayPal: Pay Tesla Motors Club LLC using PayPal.Me
TeslaMotorsClub website: Account upgrades

15 thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: scrapps
Does anyone know any of the team doing the teardown? I work in the field of adhesives and composites with a specific focus on sandwich constructions so would love to get hold of the pink foam and the 'very tenacious' adhesive so I was hoping to be able to pay for them to send me some to test for a range of material properties. I'm also a Lecturer in Composite Materials at Imperial College so have access to a huge range of research equipment and colleagues' expertise there. Plese let me know if you can point me in the right direction to ask them if they'd be willing to do this!

Does anyone know any of the team doing the teardown? I work in the field of adhesives and composites with a specific focus on sandwich constructions so would love to get hold of the pink foam and the 'very tenacious' adhesive so I was hoping to be able to pay for them to send me some to test for a range of material properties. I'm also a Lecturer in Composite Materials at Imperial College so have access to a huge range of research equipment and colleagues' expertise there. Plese let me know if you can point me in the right direction to ask them if they'd be willing to do this!
You could contact Munro & Associates - they could probably get you some of the foam. I know they’re selling the batteries.

You could contact Munro & Associates - they could probably get you some of the foam. I know they’re selling the batteries.
I bought a 4680 cell off their site but sales of their merchandise appears to be run by an outfit distinct from Munroe. The email address on the order reciept is unrelated to Munro and I've got no reply to a request that I'd be happy to sacrifice any work done to make it look pretty in preference to getting a cell with whatever is left stuck to it and minimal work done on it. I particularly don't want to have one that's been dry ice blasted and cleaned on all areas as I want to investigate if/what surface treatments may have been done to the can to improve the wetting and adhesion of the adhesive to the cell. There are a range of surface treatment processes used in prepartion for structural bonding in aerospace for various metallic substrates and the method selected can be quite informing of the intent behind the design intent.