Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Performance - Dallas to Austin Roadtrip*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to be very nervous like this and its totally understandable. EVs are very reliable at measuring power use and requirements. Very.

What ya end up being like after 6 months of EV Lyfe: 150 mile trip. Left at 30%, supercharger for 18 minutes, arrive at destination Hotel at 10% and charge on the level 2 for a couple hours: 30%. Leave for sightseeing and dinner. Arrive at hotel at 10%. Overnight charge to 90%. Drive home and forget to put the charger on... Go another couple days commuting and then plug it in at home.

The computer is really accurate. Enjoy the autopilot and set the speed back to 75 - it will actually save you time over the life of the car by getting longer range per % power. Why get to your destination 8 minutes faster if it required an additional supercharger stop.

Supper helpful to look at this on the in car nav. vs. the Tesla Trip planner and ABRP. And a helpful way to think about energy efficiency. I've been an ICE guy my whole life and can get there and back going 85 on one tank, albeit that's $100+ these days.

It initially puts the charging stop in there, but you can select to remove the stop (as I am sure you were already aware). This then throws a yellow caution up saying to remain below 75 mph to reach destination.

This right here tells me I am going to need to stop.

Also, I am sure you are aware it puts up your estimated SoC (learned this term today) for arriving at both locations. Super helpful again. That shows 42% in Waco (I am at 90% right now, will charge it to 100% overnight) and 19% at my destination in Austin.

Since its the first time my MY will be away from home, and it seems like the stop is inevitable, I'll probably give it some extra time on the super charger for that additional peace of mind. There is a charger at the destination (which is why, I was hoping it could do it in one straight shot), and I keep the mobile charger in the car for any worst case scenarios.

Looking forward to learning more about my car on the trip. Thanks for the input.

Did the Tesla tell you to go to the closed super charger or were you just planning on using it? I feel like it should be aware of that fact. Also do they close (or just down for maintenance)? I would like to think I could charge anytime I need, since payment is automated... I have yet to use a super charger or any charging outside my home.