Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3 RWD (Base Model) Subwoofer Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time owner of a Tesla and bought a new 2023 Model 3 RWD. I was told to ask the question here, is it possible to install a subwoofer to the newest vehicle? I heard that it’s different than the previous years.

This is not the Long Range Model 3 or Performance Model 3.

Not totally accurate. I have a brand new M3 I took delivery of a month ago. I found the door speaker pair to run signal and tapped into power under the passenger seat. As long as your not running anything too powerful it should work. I have a powered sub that can run 200 rms. Pretty modest but does the job!

Upvote 0
Not totally accurate. I have a brand new M3 I took delivery of a month ago. I found the door speaker pair to run signal and tapped into power under the passenger seat. As long as your not running anything too powerful it should work. I have a powered sub that can run 200 rms. Pretty modest but does the job!
Then you`re lucky! 500W rms is no chance sadly..

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Upvote 0
New to the forum so howdy everyone. Anyways what about running an external deep cycle battery to power an aftermarket amp and simply put a trickle charger on it over the weekend? Aside from tapping into the door speaker it would never put a draw on the cars electrical system 🤔. Mine is also a '23 rwd, the sound system is decent just wouldn't mind a little more bass if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0
300W at 13V is 300W/13V = 23A. Of course you won't be pulling 300W constantly, but the battery needs to be good for 25A unless you are using capacitors too.

Run time at an average 100W. 100/13 = 7.7A. A stand alone 100Ah battery would get you about 100Ah/7.7A = 13 hours run time before the battery was completely dead. With a 50% discharge a deep cycle lead battery is good for 500-1000 cycles. That works out to 7 hours before the battery needs to be recharged.

I'd rather install a LiIon battery near the amp and charge it from the car. A current limiting charge controller will stop the amplifier from overloading the car.

Better yet get an amp that won't overload whatever you tap into for low voltage power.

I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and read a bit on how the low voltage system works. Connecting to the low voltage line under the rear seat (penthouse) is risky. There is no overload or short circuit protection there. If there is short or overload you are looking at a very expensive repair.

Upvote 0
I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and read a bit on how the low voltage system works. Connecting to the low voltage line under the rear seat (penthouse) is risky. There is no overload or short circuit protection there. If there is short or overload you are looking at a very expensive repair.

You are exactly right.

A short while connected to the penthouse could cause the vehicle to pop the PIRO. That bricks the car. The question at that point is - Was the bass worth it?

Remember that the penthouse connection attaches to all of the VC boards. The car can easily measure the difference between the current the VC's use and the output current of the penthouse. We are seeing a ton more current produced by the penthouse than summed by the VC's. Tesla might start popping the PIROs in a future software update.

1 year ago...Tesla wouldn't open the penthouse for less than $2k - AFTER they are positive as to what the problem was.
The one thing Tesla doesn't need is a possibility of a battery fire.

Reactions: DomDeWild
Upvote 0
First time owner of a Tesla and bought a new 2023 Model 3 RWD. I was told to ask the question here, is it possible to install a subwoofer to the newest vehicle? I heard that it’s different than the previous years.

This is not the Long Range Model 3 or Performance Model 3.
Feel free to pm me. I installed a subwoofer in my son’s 2023 RWD … I am tapping the front door bass drivers for signal and had to take certain other precautions. It is a massive improvement over stock but it doesn’t match up to the sound / bass in my 2020 Model S. Overall sound in my car is supposed to be better because all speakers have been upgraded and have external power. However, just in the bass department, I feel my car easily goes down to 30 hz, whereas the Model 3 goes no lower than 50 hz because the door bass drivers possibly cannot go below that.

Upvote 0
I never saw this thread. Bass in a base M3 is definitely possible and can be done without issues If you're careful and use a fused power feed from the penthouse. I'm almost a year into having a 500W amp in the Model 3 RWD. Having said that I would caution going above 500w, and don't use an amp that isn't rated up to 16v.

Factory sub enclosure from a premium system (ebay), Kicker L7T8, Kicker Key 500.1. Bass signal from a hansshow speaker activation harness using the door woofer signal. Same setup with a Skar VD-8, cheaper than the Kicker L7, slightly lower bass, not as clean or dynamic but fantastic in its own right.

Attachments

• IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Skar3.JPG
    Skar3.JPG
    554.5 KB · Views: 13
  • KickerL7T8b.JPG
    KickerL7T8b.JPG
    588.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Rohhee
Upvote 0
I will chime in as well. I have the NVX enclosure and sub running at 2ohm on my Alpine 500.1 mono amp for over a year now. The power is connected to the penthouse under the rear seat. I am not having any issues. I have a 1.5 hour commute daily and I bump my speakers.

Here are the links to my items (Alpine amp is rated for 16v! nice):
2017-Up Tesla Model 3 - Custom 500W RMS 10" Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure | NVX BE-TM3-VSW10S2

BTW @RWAudio knows his stuff. I have used his guides on this forums and have been very pleased with the results.

Reactions: RWAudio
Upvote 0
Feel free to pm me. I installed a subwoofer in my son’s 2023 RWD … I am tapping the front door bass drivers for signal and had to take certain other precautions. It is a massive improvement over stock but it doesn’t match up to the sound / bass in my 2020 Model S. Overall sound in my car is supposed to be better because all speakers have been upgraded and have external power. However, just in the bass department, I feel my car easily goes down to 30 hz, whereas the Model 3 goes no lower than 50 hz because the door bass drivers possibly cannot go below that.
I'm not sure how to PM you but I am very interested in how you did it and what you used. I have a friend who wrecked their 2023 Model Y Perf. and I took the sub and the amp out of the back. I'm hoping to be able to install it in my 2023 model 3 RWD. Is that possible?

Upvote 0