Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 model 3 sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, with 20% tint, still 115F? I am noticing the same, getting 110+F inside, but I have only front shade so far. Not sure if its even worth tinting if it doesnt reject heat. What brand tint did you go with if I may ask?
Both shades and tint slow down the rate of heat transfer (great for while driving or very short stops). But if you are looking to prevent heat soak, neither will do it, as given enough time, the car will still heat up. As others mentioned, a shade is more effective than tint in slowing heat transfer.

A roof shade helps a lot too (especially one with an extra opaque reflective layer on top, not just ones that are transparent cloth). For tint, ceramic tints are more effective at blocking heat, but again as above it doesn't prevent heat soak.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitynity
I know this is a little pricy, but it is awesome. I just picked it up for my 3.

@nitynity - I am in the process of putting together a group buy on tinting and PPF if interested. We need a few more people in the Dallas area to hit the tint numbers we need. We need 1 more for PPF. DM if you are interested.
Holly molly, that's expensive for a shade. lol
I am no longer in TX, moved to MD last month. That's why I havent tinted my windows yet since MD requires state inspection for vehicle registration, and I won't pass with my TX tint. I am waiting for the inspection/registration to be over so I can get it tinted. The paperwork takes time since the title needs to be transferred over from TX to MD. (atleast 3-6 weeks). So the shades are temporary for couple months max. I did apply some ceramic coating when I picked up my M3 back in December and it looks nice.

Speaking of which, is there a way to update my location in the profile? I couldn't find where to change my city.

Both shades and tint slow down the rate of heat transfer (great for while driving or very short stops). But if you are looking to prevent heat soak, neither will do it, as given enough time, the car will still heat up. As others mentioned, a shade is more effective than tint in slowing heat transfer.

A roof shade helps a lot too (especially one with an extra opaque reflective layer on top, not just ones that are transparent cloth). For tint, ceramic tints are more effective at blocking heat, but again as above it doesn't prevent heat soak.
Thats a very good point. Now I am wondering if I should invest in a quality shade or tint? I was thinking about Xpel PR+, but maybe get a cheaper tint and a better shade instead?

Holly molly, that's expensive for a shade. lol
I am no longer in TX, moved to MD last month. That's why I havent tinted my windows yet since MD requires state inspection for vehicle registration, and I won't pass with my TX tint. I am waiting for the inspection/registration to be over so I can get it tinted. The paperwork takes time since the title needs to be transferred over from TX to MD. (atleast 3-6 weeks). So the shades are temporary for couple months max. I did apply some ceramic coating when I picked up my M3 back in December and it looks nice.

Speaking of which, is there a way to update my location in the profile? I couldn't find where to change my city.
Yes, it isn't cheap but it is awesome and blocks quite nicely. Maybe you've heard of the "Tesla tax".

Sorry to hear about the inspection. Good luck in MD. I worked in Towson and Baltimore for some time and glad I'm not there anymore. Just in case you don't know, don't speed in Virginia...

Yes, it isn't cheap but it is awesome and blocks quite nicely. Maybe you've heard of the "Tesla tax".

Sorry to hear about the inspection. Good luck in MD. I worked in Towson and Baltimore for some time and glad I'm not there anymore. Just in case you don't know, don't speed in Virginia...
What's Tesla tax? Of course it's expensive here compared to TX, but I dont think I will miss that heat wave and 100+ summer anymore. lol
Everyone drives too slow here compared to TX, and one of my friend's insurance premium went up due to tail gating. That's crazy. And the lane system is kinda confusing too here in MD. Too narrow and complicated compared to TX. I guess I have a learning curve to get used to MD driving.lol

No. I didnt know speeding is a criminal offense in VA. Wow.😮😮

Last edited:
Thats a very good point. Now I am wondering if I should invest in a quality shade or tint? I was thinking about Xpel PR+, but maybe get a cheaper tint and a better shade instead?
I would get a roof sunshade first, it's only $30-50 if you don't get the fancy retractable ones. There's a ton of options. I bought this type that is white, with separate extra reflective layer, but there are also black ones and ones with two layers integrated.

What's Tesla tax? Of course it's expensive here compared to TX, but I dont think I will miss that heat wave and 100+ summer anymore. lol
Everyone drives too slow here compared to TX, and one of my friend's insurance premium went up due to tail gating. That's crazy. And the lane system is kinda confusing too here in MD. Too narrow and complicated compared to TX. I guess I have a learning curve to get used to MD driving.lol

No. I didnt know speeding is a criminal offense in VA. Wow.😮😮
Tesla tax is where they seem to mark up everything (price it higher) just because it is a Tesla.

I could tell you a horror story about VA. I am never setting foot back in the state until the statute of limitations have passed for a few things. Just don't speed. Repeat after me, don't speed in VA! At most 4.5 mph over the limit.

Can't say Texas is my favorite place to live but I'll avoid most of the Eastern seaboard with a few exceptions. If you go to Baltimore, watch the crime. I had barely left my car and they were trying to break into it. I went to a Domino's for a pickup order where a friend work and he told me don't get out toe the car to get the pie, they'll bring it out to my car. It wasn't even safe to do that. I am sure there are some good areas but the 6 months I worked there I sure as heck didn't see many of them.

I would get a roof sunshade first, it's only $30-50 if you don't get the fancy retractable ones. There's a ton of options. I bought this type that is white, with separate extra reflective layer, but there are also black ones and ones with two layers integrated.
Thats a good idea. I dont think tinting alone would solve the heat issue. I would start with shades and go from there. The tint places are expensive and easily cost above 1k for decent brands. I found a place who does Llumar irx for $450, but they do only the lower half of rear window since they don't have long sheets (which is weird for a tint place) Now I am thinking, maybe I could use the roof shades/windshield shade and just tint the 4 windows and lower rear window. That might work out well.

Tesla tax is where they seem to mark up everything (price it higher) just because it is a Tesla.

I could tell you a horror story about VA. I am never setting foot back in the state until the statute of limitations have passed for a few things. Just don't speed. Repeat after me, don't speed in VA! At most 4.5 mph over the limit.

Can't say Texas is my favorite place to live but I'll avoid most of the Eastern seaboard with a few exceptions. If you go to Baltimore, watch the crime. I had barely left my car and they were trying to break into it. I went to a Domino's for a pickup order where a friend work and he told me don't get out toe the car to get the pie, they'll bring it out to my car. It wasn't even safe to do that. I am sure there are some good areas but the 6 months I worked there I sure as heck didn't see many of them.
That makes sense. Tesla means money I guess lol
Well, I have few friends in VA, so other than the occasional visiting trips, I dont see a reason to drive through VA on a daily basis. But last time I visited him, I was going 20+ as well as everyone else in the highway. 😄
I have heard stories about Baltimore, didn't knew it was this bad. Which area in Baltimore did you work if I may ask so I can stay away?lol