Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window tint vs sunshades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved to FL and am in the process of getting my windows tinted on my 2018 M3. I decided on Llumar Air80 on front windshield and Stratos 35 on the side windows. My issues is on the back window.

I found a shop that does lots of M3's and they typically do the full back window or can do just up to the factory tint if I wanted. I started to do some research and it looks like the earlier models 2018-2019 have issues with the defroster burning the tint, defroster not working (broken due to being delicate), or even the glass cracking. I was planning on getting the Tesla sunshields to knock down some of the direct heat from above and it's my understanding Tesla sunshades cover the full back window. I'm wondering if the rear sunshade will be enough to cut down some of heat too (I know tint will do more but trying to determine if this is a compromise to save my glass)? Does anyone have experience with the Tesla sunshades and if so do they cut down on the heat in the car?

I recently moved to FL and am in the process of getting my windows tinted on my 2018 M3. I decided on Llumar Air80 on front windshield and Stratos 35 on the side windows. My issues is on the back window.

I found a shop that does lots of M3's and they typically do the full back window or can do just up to the factory tint if I wanted. I started to do some research and it looks like the earlier models 2018-2019 have issues with the defroster burning the tint, defroster not working (broken due to being delicate), or even the glass cracking. I was planning on getting the Tesla sunshields to knock down some of the direct heat from above and it's my understanding Tesla sunshades cover the full back window. I'm wondering if the rear sunshade will be enough to cut down some of heat too (I know tint will do more but trying to determine if this is a compromise to save my glass)? Does anyone have experience with the Tesla sunshades and if so do they cut down on the heat in the car?
What did you end up going with? I am considering the same combination.