Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 model 3 sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market looking for a temporary sunshade until I get my windows tinted. (maybe in couple months). Currently its 135F inside while parked during daytime and that affects the battery power greatly. Can I adjust with just windishield shade or do I need to cover the whole roof? Its only for couple months so I dont want to invest too much as well. Any recommendations for 2023 Model 3?

These upgraded sunshades for the 2023 Model 3 will be a perfect match; they have a reflective coating to reduce heat transmission into the cabin. Plus, with the windshield sunshade, it will protect your interior from exposure to sunlight while parked all day long.

Reactions: nitynity
Thanks for the response Snowball316. Is your tesla tinted? How cool does it get inside under sunlight?
Yes mine Tesla is tinted except for the sunroof (above driver and passenger) it still get hot in there. I also have front windshield tinted with ceramic tint in case you are wondering. After the sunshade it helps a lot as no direct sunlight into the interior.

Noticed you are in Texas, if/when I park outdoors for a long period of time, I just use a car cover so that way it doesn't activate cabin cool. Looks silly at times but hey it gets the job done and protects from any outside elements.

Yes mine Tesla is tinted except for the sunroof (above driver and passenger) it still get hot in there. I also have front windshield tinted with ceramic tint in case you are wondering. After the sunshade it helps a lot as no direct sunlight into the interior.

Noticed you are in Texas, if/when I park outdoors for a long period of time, I just use a car cover so that way it doesn't activate cabin cool. Looks silly at times but hey it gets the job done and protects from any outside elements.
Yes I am planning to get it tinted asap as well. During the interim I need a temporary arrangement for the sunshade. I bought one from amazon, kinda looks like the same from Yeslak, only lower price. It blocks the windshield heat for sure. But the side windows are still letting heat in, but its ok for now. Doesn't get 120+ inside anymore. :)

I have my model 3 tinted all around, i did 70% on the front windshield, 20% on driver and passenger side, and 5% for rears and sunroof. I use a front window shade in front and i also have the top shades too, yesterday at work it still reached approximately 110F-115F. All the tint is ceramic.
Wow, with 20% tint, still 115F? I am noticing the same, getting 110+F inside, but I have only front shade so far. Not sure if its even worth tinting if it doesnt reject heat. What brand tint did you go with if I may ask?

I have my model 3 tinted all around, i did 70% on the front windshield, 20% on driver and passenger side, and 5% for rears and sunroof. I use a front window shade in front and i also have the top shades too, yesterday at work it still reached approximately 110F-115F. All the tint is ceramic.
Same, tint helps but does not 100% protect from heat entering the car as heat can transfer through our cars metal body.

Basically, tint will just slow down the heat buildup for the most part. Given long enough in the sun, the car will heat soak and get hot. I have 15% ceramic tint on my side windows, 70% on the front windshield, on my S, and a tinted roof, and after about 4-5 hours outside, the car will be in the 120's+ here in Texas.

It does help when driving the car a lot as I definitely use less energy for the AC than before. Still just living it out, it will heat up but the tint does slow it down. Mostly noticeable if I run into a store for about 30-40 min. The car isn't near as hot when I come out.

As a side note, on days that I see 120-125 internal temps, were about 145 before and after the same amount of time outside. By 5-6 hours in the un the car will be really up there. As a point of comparison, I parked my 3 (totally untinted but a fabric sunshade like Yeslak but without the inner reflective mat) next to my totally tinted S. Both started the day at 90F. By lunch (3 hours later) my 3 was at 125F and my S at 105F. My 3 peaked that day after 5 hours at 150F. My S hit 128F after 6-7 hours. So while a definite improvement the car was still hot AF inside. Not a complete apples to apples comparison as the S has a bigger cockpit and more glass along with a hatchback. So while the tint did help a lot, it doesn't overcome everything.

What makes the 3 even worse that the terrible high temps, is the lack of ventilated and cooled seats. A huge oversight on Tesla's part. One of the main reasons I hate driving my 3 on hot days. The plastic seats in the 3 just cook you when you get in.

Basically, tint will just slow down the heat buildup for the most part. Given long enough in the sun, the car will heat soak and get hot. I have 15% ceramic tint on my side windows, 70% on the front windshield, on my S, and a tinted roof, and after about 4-5 hours outside, the car will be in the 120's+ here in Texas.

It does help when driving the car a lot as I definitely use less energy for the AC than before. Still just living it out, it will heat up but the tint does slow it down. Mostly noticeable if I run into a store for about 30-40 min. The car isn't near as hot when I come out.

As a side note, on days that I see 120-125 internal temps, were about 145 before and after the same amount of time outside. By 5-6 hours in the un the car will be really up there. As a point of comparison, I parked my 3 (totally untinted but a fabric sunshade like Yeslak but without the inner reflective mat) next to my totally tinted S. Both started the day at 90F. By lunch (3 hours later) my 3 was at 125F and my S at 105F. My 3 peaked that day after 5 hours at 150F. My S hit 128F after 6-7 hours. So while a definite improvement the car was still hot AF inside. Not a complete apples to apples comparison as the S has a bigger cockpit and more glass along with a hatchback. So while the tint did help a lot, it doesn't overcome everything.

What makes the 3 even worse that the terrible high temps, is the lack of ventilated and cooled seats. A huge oversight on Tesla's part. One of the main reasons I hate driving my 3 on hot days. The plastic seats in the 3 just cook you when you get in.
man 150F?! THATS CRAZY!!!

Yes thats what I have on my SUV as well, that's the top of the line, but I was hoping the temp would cool down with a quality tint, sounds like that's not the case.
well like daytrippin said, itll just slow down the temperature rise, and not fully eliminate it, one thing i didnt think about was the heat from the all glass roof when i purchased my model 3, but its not a big deal, thats why we have A/C haha

well like daytrippin said, itll just slow down the temperature rise, and not fully eliminate it, one thing i didnt think about was the heat from the all glass roof when i purchased my model 3, but its not a big deal, thats why we have A/C haha
Currently I am renting, so charging is a problem, have to drive 15mnts + traffic for Tesla super charger (free). In addition, the Sentry mode drains the battery as well while simply parked over several days in the parking lot. Currently its 85F outside and 121F inside with just the windshield sunshade on. The side windows cooks up the cabin in no time in the morning. I have the COP turned off to save the battery. So I guess, even with tinting, I wont be able to keep the temp below 100F during Summer on this glass box. :(

Currently I am renting, so charging is a problem, have to drive 15mnts + traffic for Tesla super charger (free). In addition, the Sentry mode drains the battery as well while simply parked over several days in the parking lot. Currently its 85F outside and 121F inside with just the windshield sunshade on. The side windows cooks up the cabin in no time in the morning. I have the COP turned off to save the battery. So I guess, even with tinting, I wont be able to keep the temp below 100F during Summer on this glass box. :(
does it help if you vent the windows?

Ceramic-tinted glass still gets physically hot, absorbing UV energy but still radiating IR energy into the cabin. Granted, they do keep your seats and dash from soaking up as much heat which helps. But, ultimately, a dedicated roof shade is much more effective in hot climates.